PDA

View Full Version : Faking sunlight in MAX 4.26 / Default renderer

benjicon
08-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Hi There everyone ,

Can any one suggest a good way to fake sunlight in MAX 4.26 with the default renderer.

I am familiar with the concept of faking radiosity in MAX, using include/exclude , but not too sure what setup to use as the main light / shaddow casting source .

Any suggestions appreciated .

Joebount
08-07-2002, 10:19 AM
Very warm main light (white-yellowish), sharp shadows (raytraces, or even better, simulated light area shadows. Adjust the contast of your main light to 50 and lower the diffus to 40-35. The intensity should e around 1.25-1.5

playmesumch00ns
08-08-2002, 03:55 PM
You want to create a dome of point lights. Set their intensities to add up to about 0.5 and give them a blueish colour. Use quite soft shadow maps.

I don't know about in MAX but I wrote a MEL script that does this and a lot more for me in about half a second

benjicon
08-09-2002, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

PlaymesomechOOns,

In Max, creating a dome of lights is the way to fake GI, I agree with you about having the lights pale blue ( sky is blue, that colour is cast very subtley over every thing ), but wouldnt having a light dome cast multiple, very dull shaddows, in all directions ?
( Like on a football field under lights ) .

If I have a dome of pale blue lights, perhapps with shaddows turned off set to equal 0.5 ( maybe even a little less ) and a tight cluster of light yellow / white light above the dome ( to represent the light source / sun ) with shaddows turned on with a value of 0.5-0.7, I think I might get the effect I am after .

Want to have shaddows casting in the scene as if the sun is high in the sky on a clear day.

Will let you know how I go, thanks for the help.
:)

Joebount
08-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Try the domelight script from Chris Subagio (www.3dluvr.com --> go to users and click on subagio). With a good light setup, yopu will have really corrects results. It's worth trying it.

Black&White
08-10-2002, 06:02 AM
this depends on atmosphere,time,weather,regionofWorld etc.

goto 3dluvr.com in maxedout section. there is a tutorial of lighting a landscape.

parallax
08-16-2002, 07:51 PM
off-topic:

question to the moderator;

Why was my reply deleted??

could also be there was a problem with the forum yesterday,if so, nevermind..

..i just clearly remember reading my own reply..
:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.