PDA

View Full Version : XSI and canadian

Personne
08-24-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm canadian and the price for XSI Foundation is $565.00 (USD), for an american is $495.00 (USD), a Brazilian $495.00 (USD), I emailed Avid about that and they reply I had to pay for the conversion of the currency... but which conversion both prices are in US money!

titaniumdave
08-24-2004, 02:48 PM
I think 495 us converts to the 565 canadian. I could be wrong. I thought when you goto the store you can pick your country, does it not convert it to canadian money?

Personne
08-24-2004, 03:07 PM
No it's $565.00 in US money so I have to convert $565.00 (about $740.00 cdn) not $495.00

Signal2Noise
08-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Yes the Canadian price is $565US vs. the advertised $495US.

Personne, I sent an email to Softimage about the price difference. I got a reply from them a couple of days later. Customer Service briefly explained that the price difference is due to regional policies, taxes, and other factors and "that's why". I think it's a bunch of bull and probably will do some investigating into this at the consumer level. I sent them a reply stating this but have never heard back.

I bought the software anyway because in reality it is still a good deal considering a week prior XSI was virtually unaffordable by most people.

Personne
08-24-2004, 04:47 PM
I got exactly the same reply from Softimage (a canadian firm), Signal to noise what do you think about Lightwave 8, I have Lightwave 7.5 but I have some hesitation to upgrade to version 8.

rock
08-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Considering XSI is based in Canada, Canadians should get, if anything, a more forgiving deal. Signal_To_Noise, try to fight for this - it just doesn't seem right. Softimage should change their $495 huge logo everywhere - misinformed, malpractice, unprofessional.

3DDave
08-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Many people in the US are asking why prescription drugs are almost half the price in Canada compared to the US for the same drug from the same drug company.

Very strange policies indeed!

ThE_JacO
08-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Considering XSI is based in Canada, Canadians should get, if anything, a more forgiving deal. Signal_To_Noise, try to fight for this - it just doesn't seem right. Softimage should change their $495 huge logo everywhere - misinformed, malpractice, unprofessional.
considering it's a multinational company we are talking about, with a sales managment in the states, canadians are involved mostly for the development/presales processes.
taxes and issues relate to the USA system.

beside that EVERY company has a list price that then changes depending from the nation, and the ads (for all of them) are usually implying a STARTING price, and then conditions apply.

go and bark at discreet's tree first, in Europe you easily pay up to 70% more then in the states for a max license, not a meager +11%

Iysun
08-24-2004, 08:50 PM
same hapepned to me when i bought foundation before the price drop, it was $1995 USD I believe, and in Canada I had to pay $3000 CND, which was alot more then the .24 conversion or whatever it was at the time. But being Canadian im used to having to pay mroe for everything, but yah seeing as how soft is canadian you would think we should get the best deals:deal:

Personne
08-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Yeah AnotherHell, when you place an order from the States (or any other country with a strong devise) you have to pay 10% more than the real difference, ex: $50.00 USD in canada you have to had 31% (today) for the difference between the two devises and another 10% for something I don't know. Regarding the policy of a certain compagny for price, if they announce a price on the web, I think this price is for everybody no matter where you live.

P.S. $3000.00 for XSI Foundation....

Atyss
08-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Softimage should change their $495 huge logo everywhere - misinformed, malpractice, unprofessional. After all they have done to please the masses? They offer you a software at a ridiculous price, and then upgrade the Foundation users who bought before the price drop to Essentials, and now you label them as misinformed, malpractice, unprofessional???

Unbelievable.

SheepFactory
08-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Can you wait a sec while I find my violin? :rolleyes:

There are no hidden fees , its not like softimage shows $500 and charges you $1000 under the table , you see the final amount before checkout. Not to mention this whole deal is more than twice cheaper than what it was a week and a half ago , yet you still complain?

runejw
08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Many people in the US are asking why prescription drugs are almost half the price in Canada compared to the US for the same drug from the same drug company.

Very strange policies indeed!
(OT - Off Topic) Yes, the big med-corps are under heavy criticism by the UN also for being greedy, and thus denying many poor people treatment with the newest and most effective drugs (which generally are the most expensive also).

But beware regarding medicines sold via internet that some of those drugs could be fakes made in China!

Watched a documentary here the other day regarding China and the growing industry of copying/making fake everything from Viagara to Calloway golf-clubs.

The Viagara looked exactly identical down to the packaging, but had no active components. More serious was other fake medication, which of course had no effect on the illness they were supposed to treat...

The Calloway golf-clubs which cost $3000 in the US they copied and sold for $275 in China. Only problem was they used steel instead of titanium (magnet will tell) so it didn't quite perform the same: 209 meters instead of 220 meters and much worse control according to a golf-pro who tested the fake. However many who bought the $275 fakes, then could sell them for $1500 on eBay...

From a new original brand-name product was launched they could produce samples of it within 7 days and deliver large quantities within 30 days. The short copying time was aided by advanced CAD/CAM.

(BTT - Back to Topic)
Anyway after that small commentary, back to the software prices. If it's any consolation we overseas customers first have to pay $52 (slow) or $87 (quick) in shipping and then our country's sales tax on the whole sum (24% in my case).

Still I think the Foundation version is a good deal :thumbsup: Reading the modeling chapter of the online manual now - in general it seems that where other programs have a couple of options, XSI have double or triple the amount of options, better back-tracking capabilities, better interactiveness/control and "tweakability"

Iysun
08-24-2004, 09:48 PM
P.S. $3000.00 for XSI Foundation....
yep thats how much it was, still a good deal imo as it doest really lack that much for its price, but as atyss stated they updated us all to essentials for free

xzevlin
08-24-2004, 10:41 PM
The extra $70 bucks made me pause for a bit, but in the end it's still a good deal. At first I wondered if perhaps it was due to bilingual manuals or something, but from the response I got from Softimage, I guess not. My total after shipping and taxes came out to a little over $800 Canadian.

Now if only they would actually ship the thing so I could start going over the DVDs...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.