PDA

View Full Version : WIP_Inuyasha

CrossFire
08-24-2004, 04:48 AM
This will be Inuyasha from,well Inuyasha. Not much is done yet. Just the pants. What do you think?

Dhin
08-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Except for that wierd diamond in the crotch they look like pants. Maybe even comfortable ones.

It's still alittle early I think for any profoundly usefull tips. But keep updates coming.

fuxer
08-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey Crossfire,i made inuyasha some years ago,its a nice character!Keep going :)

Its looking good.

CrossFire
08-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys, just did one of the arms and got rid of the diamond thing in the crotch. I would do more but I have to go to school now :(

CrossFire
08-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Started basing out the torso's shape, and some other little things, made pants more baggier:) C&C WELCOME

http://www.zimop.com/wip_inu3.JPG

rob-beddall
08-25-2004, 12:54 AM
hey!!

you need to think about how the joints are going to deform and model to allow for the movement. i don'y have any links at hand that could help you, just look at other people's work to see how they have modeled the crotch area. ( i personally find this the hardest part)
there is a book called "Modelling a character in 3ds max" by paul steed. it is software specific to 3d max but could be used for any program really. i don't think it is that expensive. tought me alot that i didn't know and couldn't find on the net.

other than that just keep looking at other people's work.

good luck with the model.

cheers!!

CrossFire
08-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Thanks, I'l have a look at that book. I use 3ds max, so it'l work even better :). I see what you mean, I do need to add some polys around the places that'l bend. and I'l work on the crotch area.

rob-beddall
08-25-2004, 12:38 PM
hey!!

before you go out and buy the book i should mention that it is a little out of date now.

it concentrates on building a model for Quake 3. but the fundamentals are there. and if you can build a good looking 2,000 poly model then you can build a great looking 3,500 - 5,000 poly model i'm sure.

cheers!!

CrossFire
08-26-2004, 03:32 AM
Hey, thanks man.
Not much different,school is taking up a lot of time. All that was done is work on the crotch area, added some polies around joints and added neck, I hope to get it finished this weekend.
http://www.zimop.com/wip_inu4.jpg

TallgeeseIIII
08-26-2004, 06:38 AM
ooh, very nice, i was a little worried with your first post but this is much better, i think it will turn out beautifully and i can't wait to see how you do the hair and ears. oh, and are you going to do tetsaiga too?

AndyH
08-26-2004, 06:54 AM
Lookin better! Keep goin!

Only thing id say is that the hard edge around his crotch running down his leg would look a bit iffy when deformed. Add more polys or sort your hard / soft edge.

CrossFire
08-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys.

Andy, thanks. Can you do me a favor and direct toward a good basic animating a character tutorial? I have never animated b4.

-

Not much added, I just got home a little while back and decided to show you guys a new render, all that was done is I added the white things on the sleeves.
http://www.zimop.com/pers2.jpg

AndyH
08-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Looking good.
As for the animation tutorial - i need one myself!
Ive let my animation side go slack over the last year or so.
Gonna try and get back into it soon.

CrossFire
08-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks Andy, I am gald you like it! Your models really inspire me!!!

CrossFire
08-28-2004, 07:46 PM
ok, I admit I am a newb to uv mapping and cant find any good tutorials. can someone help me? here is my problem so far ( in picture ), how do I rotate the cylindrical map so that it fits the way it should, or am I uv mapping wrong? any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!!

AndyH
08-28-2004, 07:56 PM
you see the UVmapping part of your modifier stack? click on it, or click the plus sign to its left and click on gizmo. The modifer in the stack should hilight yellow, and then you can move, rotate and scale the projection cylinder like its an object.

CrossFire
08-28-2004, 08:24 PM
:bowdown: thank you Andy, any suggestions on a certain way to paint it? oh, or can I see what your maps look like for that last model you did? I can paint really well, I just have never painted a anime model and dont know how to go about it., I guess the next question is how do I make a uv map for half the body, and "mirror" it onto the other side to save uvmap space?
ex. make a uv map for one leg, and use the same map for the other leg?

AndyH
08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
The maps for etna were very simple. Mainly solid colours, with a few painted on hilights on the leather and her hair. Black outlines wherever they may be needed too.
As for the mirror thing, i suggest you work on one half of the model, and apply symmetry. Place the uv stuff underneath it in the modifier stack, and the mirrored side will have the same UVs.

CrossFire
08-28-2004, 08:46 PM
ah, thanks Andy. Quick question, what method do YOU use for mapping?

AndyH
08-28-2004, 08:49 PM
that one!
Model one side, then UV the model, then unwrap the uvs and space them around the best you can. Then apply symetry and mirror it. Then paint the map!

CrossFire
08-28-2004, 08:50 PM
:bounce: Thank you, any crit on the model b4 I map it?

CrossFire
09-02-2004, 04:36 AM
Sorry I havnt posted for a while. I needed a break, I started the head. Any suggestions?

http://www.zimop.com/inuface.jpg

TallgeeseIIII
09-02-2004, 05:59 AM
whoooa, unessasarily large head, unless you're doing chibi.... which is... ehhh....

CrossFire
09-02-2004, 12:34 PM
no, I am not doing chibi. the heads big right now just so that you can see it better, I havnt even attached it, it'l be the regular size once I get more done on it ;)

TallgeeseIIII
09-02-2004, 02:12 PM
ooh, excellent! btw, what is this going to be used for? or is just just practice, and are you going to make tetsaiga?

CrossFire
09-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Thanks.
Yeah, I am going to make the tetsaiga. I am unsure as of yet. I have an idea, but I am not going to tell you guys about it till its more final. I may release a version of it for the esf mod for half life, just so I can play with him with powers.
Does it look any better, I made the head proportional to the body.
http://www.zimop.com/inuhead.jpg

CrossFire
09-03-2004, 01:48 AM
I added the mouth
http://www.zimop.com/inuface2.jpg

TallgeeseIIII
09-03-2004, 02:30 AM
ah. i know what you mean, i make models for games just to play around with them. anyway, the mouth is a bit small and undefined enough for talking, but if he's just going to have a static mouth then it's perfect, and inuyasha's neck is a bit smaller than an average human, not because he's a demon, but just because of the style the anime uses, all the characters are tall and have slender necks. you may want to consider that and not make him too anatomically correct.

EDIT: after looking at it again, one more thing on the neck, it isn't symetrical. you raised a vertex on the right side and you didn't on the left. whether you want it raised or not doesn't matter, just keep it consistent on both sides, ya know?

CrossFire
09-03-2004, 02:42 AM
err, what vertex are you talking about, also I will fix the neck. as for the mouth, as of now it'l just be static. thanks for the tips!

TallgeeseIIII
09-04-2004, 03:05 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TallgeeseIIII/vertex.jpg

those vertices. see how the one on the right is pulled out more than the left?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.