PDA

View Full Version : Character Rigging / Animation Reel

verbal007
08-23-2004, 08:30 PM
A few months ago, I posted a link to a demo reel that I was working on, in the Maya rigging forum. I was given a LOT of great suggestions, which I quickly incorporated into my reel , just in time for Siggraph. I love to animate, but often find myself rigging to make the tasks more efficient, so I guess I'm a rigger too. I try and use my extensive information technology background to my advantage. I'm unemployed and would probably accept any animation position offered to me, but specifically I would like to work in games. I've been told that my rigs are too detailed for games, but I guess I wanted to be prepared for the level of detail that will be appearing in the games of the not-too-distant future.

I'm currently sending this reel out with my resume and reel breakdown, and would love ANY feedback that anyone could provide me. In the meantime, I will continue work on a freelance job I've been offered, and will probably be putting together some animation cycles for my flying kitty, robot and "Kyle" characters. Is it safe to assume that the actual webpage design isn't too critical at this point, unless I plan on looking specifically for freelance work?

I hope this is the right place to post this to get the feedback I'm looking for. Please do not hold back any punches, and let me know.

link to my 2004 Rigging/Animation Demo Reel Video & Reel Breakdown (http://www.systemshutdown.com/portfolio)
http://www.systemshutdown.com/portfolio/2004bannersm.jpg (http://www.systemshutdown.com/portfolio)

Finally, I should also say that "yes, I'm currently looking for full time or part time work". I have great references to vouch that I'm a great person to work with... and an all-around nice guy. :P

captainboom
08-24-2004, 03:17 AM
I don't have "Serious Critique " (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118) for you. Your rigging kickS ass, ..........and your overall presention is good..........very well done SLICK!

AWSOME REEL

CAPTAINBOOM

verbal007
09-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks captainboom. I appreciate the positive feedback.

I live in Michigan (primarily auto industry) and am not going to school for this stuff. Therefore, there is no one locally that I can go to for feedback. I'm looking to improve on my skills and make my demo reel presentable enough to approach potential employeers. I do not want to send my reel out if it's going to hurt my chances because something of poor quality is being presented.

I have tons plenty of ideas for rigs to create and animate, but I need to know what I should work on next, and if I should revise my reel before sending it out.

I need some good/blunt feedback. The more harsh and realistic, the better. I value an an animator's suggestions just as much, if not more, than fellow riggers. My objective is to create simple/efficient tools and it helps to know if I'm on the right track AND if this is what studios are looking for.

I hope no one finds me being too vocal for this forum. If so, just tell me to shut up. I won't take it personally.

- Jeremy

nemirc
09-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Ok, I saw it.

First of all let me tell you that I didn't read the breakdown so keep that in mind.
Second of all I also do mostly character animation (although I don't really find myself spending too much on rigging).

At the begining of your reel it didn't make sense to me whether it was a concept designer reel or 3D reel. The rule of the thumb is "show the best at first" but you came up wth 6 valuable seconds of "drawings and blueprints". To tell the truth I don't know if they really add something else than just "introducing your characters".

The robot rig is cool. Nevertheless I keep hearing "don't use robots on your reels". I think your case could be an exception because you show the internal mechanisms that drive it. Keep in mind that most people out there have seen Wild Wild West and that was a very impressive 2000pieces mega-super-duper-spider...

The next rigs show some sort of winged creature. I would have liked to see how you animate the wings rather than just seeing that they are there. You moved the root but you didn't make them flap, bend, stretch...

I really don't know if I should consider this an "animation + rigging" reel since you technically show only rigs. The only real piece of animation is the talking character with the "face icons" on the upper corner. Nevertheless the whole reel feels more like a rigging reel and this piece felt like it didn't belong to the demo at all.

Also, if this includes "animation" know that a runcycle and a "rig balance test" don't make a "wow-quality" animation.

I hope this helps.

mandrews
09-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Nice work! :beer:

Those rigs would seem to be too complex for a game, but very nice for regular animation.

If you ever get bored, we've got a 15 foot warbot we could use help with. And if you like wings, we'll probably be getting into dragons real soon.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.