PDA

View Full Version : A couple of foundation questions

clownfunk
08-23-2004, 04:12 PM
A couple of questions I am just playing around with the foundation demo at the moment, and have ran into a couple of problems.

If I insert a cube and then make it into a sub-d object, everything is fine when it is in wireframe mode, however if I change the view to shaded the sub-d cage is also shaded. From what I can make out in the manual this shouldn't be the case. Is there an option somewhere to change this or is it a problem with my graphics card maybe.

Secondly I can select points and edges but it wont let me select faces unless I press U the curser then has a little eye under it, is this normal or could it be another glitch with my system.

Sorry if these things are obvious I just want to make sure that If I do stump up for XSI there aren't going to be any problems with my system.

Cheers
Darren

DougNicola
08-23-2004, 05:01 PM
1. Make sure you are using the Geometry Appoximation Sub-D (the plus and minus keys on your number pad) and NOT the modeling Subdivision.

2. The U key is raycast polygon selection mode. Check the various modes under the Select-> Tools and Modes menu on the main control panel.

clownfunk
08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked out the selection options, I think I am fine with that now. I am still having slight problems with the sub-d surfaces though. If I add a cube and then hit the + key the cube sub divides but doesn't show a cage at all.

What I was doing previously was

1 Get-> Primitive -> Poly Mesh -> Cube
2 Create -> Poly Mesh -> Subdivision

This gives me what I am after with the control cage but doesn't display properly in shaded mode.

Sorry for being a bit thick. I am coming from Cinema 4D and XSI does appear to be quite different.

DougNicola
08-24-2004, 02:15 AM
To see the polymesh hull (XSI's term for the control cage) after you've hit the plus key, just toggle it by using Ctrl-+ (That's the control key with the plus key on the keypad.) Or look in the "eye" (visibility) dropdown for the polymesh hull option.

You really don't want to be doing Create -> Poly Mesh -> Subdivision. That's basically creating a whole new geometry object from your original object. (Of course in some situations you might want a whole new object).

Geometry Approximation is just one object displayed with different levels of subdivision, with an optionally visible control cage.

XSI is huge, but really user friendly. Just take the time to really get to know it. Check the sticky above (cool things no one knows...) for some great tips.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.