PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty purchasing XSI Foundation in the UK

JoeBananas
08-23-2004, 12:54 PM
I've decided to bite the bullet, and move over from Max to XSI Foundation, but this is proving more difficult than I thought. I've contacted both of the resellers here in the UK listed on the avid website, but just get voicemail. I then contacted the Avid UK sales line, and they hadn't even heard of XSI!! I'm not joking, they didn't know what I was talking about. This is giving me second thoughts, if it's this difficult to actually buy the product, what's the after sales support like!

If anyone knows of a reseller of XSI in the UK that you can actually speak to, could you please reply with their details.

Thanks in advance,

yog
08-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Try http://www.xtfx.co.uk/ I found them to be first rate. I did get voice mail once (lunchtime) but have always got through on the phone all other times (inside office hours).

JoeBananas
08-23-2004, 01:23 PM
mmmm, that was one of the sellers I tried - Ok, I'll give them another go - thanks for the info

vlad74
08-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I puchased it yesterday from the softimages web site.Didn't have any problems. It was about 365. Why dont you buy it straight from the web site. Just download XSI foundation 30 day trial. Then buy it and they will send you the licence key in a minutes. Now i am waiting for the box.

JoeBananas
08-23-2004, 03:22 PM
ah, yes I was about to do that, but got through to the reseller that Yog recommended - got my self a copy sorted out now!

thanks for all the help!

clownfunk
08-23-2004, 03:24 PM
How much did it work out through the reseller.

Cheers
Darren

JoeBananas
08-23-2004, 04:34 PM
350 inc VAT, and another 10 for delivery - still a massive saving!

MKIII
08-23-2004, 05:52 PM
I puchased it yesterday from the softimages web site.Didn't have any problems. It was about 365. Why dont you buy it straight from the web site. Just download XSI foundation 30 day trial. Then buy it and they will send you the licence key in a minutes. Now i am waiting for the box.I'm buying a copy from XTFX too... (mailto:colette@xtfx.co.uk (colette@xtfx.co.uk)) The thing that put me off ordering from the Softimage online dohickey was the big red warning insisting that Non Canadian customers 'might' incur custom charges.... They will be more than the 9 extra you pay for the UK dealer. Even a minimum of 5% duty would be around 18 PLUS the automatic admin charge from the courier, because they have to do the paperwork.

Still.. you might not have to pay duty.

PS... HI Yogmeister... long time no beer :)

alexyork
08-25-2004, 01:46 PM
hey guys

what's the deal on tax-exemption with buying Foundation (in the UK)?

I'm a UK student, so I don't pay taxes yet. I have e-mailed the UK webstore sales line and had no reply back yet.

Have any students successfully bought Foundation and been reimbursed the tax value afterwards like they say they will?

I'm concerned, because apparently they only reimburse you AFTER you have ordered it. So if it arrives and then I'm told, actually, you aren't exempt, and get charged a whopping amount of tax on top.....

And what sort of documents do you need to prove you are exempt? All I have is an NUS card (national union of students) and I could probably get a letter form my university proving it too, but that would take months, as I don't actually get back to uni until late September, and I'd like to order soon.

Cheers

MKIII
08-25-2004, 04:25 PM
AFAIK, the only tax that students are exempt from paying is Council Tax... You are obliged to pay VAT & income tax etc just like everyone else.

Students *are* generally VAT exempt on Student Fees, but this isn't a right, just an allowance by colleges afaik.

BTW. You don't pay Income tax, presumably because you don't earn more than your tax allowance. This has nothing to do with VAT.

Here is a page full of info on scools/students & Taxes http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/financeDivision/vatGuidelinesAndTaxation/vatGuidelines.htm

If I am wrong, and you find that for some reason you *are* exempt... (Dad working at the tax office etc)..... then they say quite clearly that they do not process an order until your tax exemption claim has been processed.

alexyork
08-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Ah yep I see. We'll I'll let you guys know if I am exempt so we can all us students can take advantage of it. I doubt I will be, judging by your info, but who knows!

Thanks for the info :)

mr Bob
08-25-2004, 04:56 PM
yes you will have to pay vat and tax , you should know that ! even if you by a program over the internet and just download i ,you will have to pay vat , gone are the days of evading.

B

alexyork
08-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Well I've never dodged tax I've had to pay and don't intend to start now...

But being a student I have to try as hard as possible to find ways to get stuff cheap, especially large investments like this that are for my career. I'm already 10,000 in debt. and by this time next year I will be at least 14,000 in debt.

I'll arm-wrestle someone for a copy of XSI! Come on who'se up fer it :)

Btw it's not really the VAT I'm wondering about. It's more the import tax and all those processing fees which apply when shipping from overseas, which I don't think I should have to pay if I buy it directly from a UK supplier. It's not leaving the country at any point.

I've e-mailed XTFX and Softimage.com and I'll get answers to these soon I hope. I'll keep ya all posted.

MKIII
08-25-2004, 06:50 PM
You definately do not pay Import Duty if you buy direct from an authorised UK distributor such as XTFX... Or from *anywhere* in the EU.

I'm really not sure whether you do if you get it direct from the Softimage.com online page. The implication is that you *do*, even though the legal blurb mentions that the actual sender is in the EU.. Go figure. This is one reason I ordered mine through XTFX.

BTW... you seem to be confusing VAT & Customs Duty... they are most definately not the same. For example.. the Import duty you might pay on something is a variable percentage of the total price of the object, plus delivery charges, plus VAT, plus a fee that is charged by the delivery company for ''administration'.... the minimum afaik is 5%

Buying from XTFX just costs price, plus P&P, plus VAT... The details are mentioned elsewhere in this set of threads.

BTW... did you check out the prices for educational copies.... are there not large discounts for students (not for the foundation offer of course, because it's a full commercial license)

alexyork
08-25-2004, 09:14 PM
that explains a lot thanks for clearing it up.

im gonna pop into the XSI Basics seminar tomorrow afternoon at XTFX and have a chat with some sales people about this. maybe I can get a deal or something - and I'll get the final word on all these duties and extras. maybe buying direct from XTFX and being in the building i might be able to get the p&p off the price too, although that's minor compaired to the final price anyway. it all helps.

i'm not considering the educational license. the main reason im hoping to buy is to get the full commercial license so i can work freelance in a few months' time when i graduate (and im no longer a student).

thanks again for the info, and I'll post back tomorrow night with the final word on those fees.

fastfingersneal
08-26-2004, 06:25 AM
I ordered foundation from the softimage website. I payed 365 inc. vat and p+p. You willl not pay import duty or tax because the software will be shipped from Irleland and not from America.
hope that helps.

alexyork
08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
excellent news. well, im popping into XTFX this afternoon for that seminar, so I'll hopefully be walking back with a copy (or at least a receipt for my order :))

cheers! :beer:

MKIII
09-11-2004, 01:13 AM
I ordered foundation from the softimage website. I payed 365 inc. vat and p+p. You willl not pay import duty or tax because the software will be shipped from Irleland and not from America.
hope that helps.
Hmm... In that case (not that i disbelieve you), why did XTFX charge me 20 overnight delivery (that took well over a week).

Even better... when I got it, I noted that the actual cost of postage was a little over 8.... hmmmm

Well at least I have the box now :)

alexyork
09-11-2004, 11:14 AM
I went into XTFX and asked them to take off the delivery charge if I came in and picked it up.

I'm still waiting for my order to arrive at theirs, but I'll go in and grab it when it is.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.