PDA

View Full Version : Hair solution for XSI Foundation?

495xsi
08-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Greetings fellow XSIers.

I have recently migrated from Max to XSI because of the pocket friendly price of $495.

My only source of distress at this juncture in my three dimensional journey into the XS that is I, is the lack of a hair solution for Foundation.

Dropping an additional $5500 just to unlock Shave and a haircut makes about as much sense as... well as... (insert something here that doesn't make much sense). Really!

So my question is: does anyone have any brilliant ideas or info on a sound hair solution for XSI Foundation?

I'm sure a bunch of my fellow defectors are itching for the truth behind this mystery as well.

Thanks in advance XSI vets, pros and ams.

Respect,

EdHarriss
08-23-2004, 12:06 AM
The fur in Advanced is best. :) But.... there is an old fur output
shader that comes with XSI and works in foundation. Here is how it
works:

Pass>Edit>Current Pass
Output Shaders Tab>Add>2d Fur
Select Shader>Inspect
Add objects to the object list and lights to the light list.
Render.

That should be enough to get you going.
This old fur is OK for grass and things that don't move much. But I
would not use it on a character.

495xsi
08-23-2004, 04:52 AM
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the reply on both boards.

I see what you mean about not using it on a character.

Flat out - is there any other option for creating decent hair on a character
in Foundation or is upgrading to Advanced the only alternative?

And is there any truth to the rumor that there are indeed individual licenses available
for Joe Alter's "XSI Hair" (Shave and a Haircut) out there that are compatible with
Foundation?

Thanks in advance for your help Ed.

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/YaBBImages/tongue.gif

Respect,

chipmandoo
08-23-2004, 05:47 AM
protential customer here.

does muhhair found here http://animus.brinkster.net/index.html work with foundation, if so does it work well?

JDex
08-23-2004, 06:28 AM
Unless I'm greatly mistaken... muhHair is a Hair Shader, which requires hair to shade. Foundations doesn't have functional hair.

SheepFactory
08-23-2004, 07:12 AM
I have to say that even though there is no hair fur you can still achieve spectacular effects.

Case in point:

http://web1.rioting.com/admin/htmlout/result.php?filepath=&heading=commercials&title=&desc=&reel=&email=alitezel%40gmail.com&id=50

Enter your email adress to view the commercial.

Riot showed how they did this benadryl commercial at siggraph , and all the flowers are done with instancing. he has one flower with shape animation on it which he than replicates by instancing and uses simple expressions to randomize and generate them.

I spoke with the animator afterwards and he said it was a 2 man project which took eight weeks to finish.

So there you go high quality effects achieved with a little bit of thinking.

MixedNut
08-23-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm also a new Foundation user looking for a hair solution - the only thing I found was Hairdo (from grass3d.com), which creates geometric hair. Yeah, yuck, I know, but...anyway, XSI hangs whenever I try to import the obj file...

Hopefully someone will pick up on our distress signal and create a plugin for those of us less talented/experienced or just basically clueless.. :shrug:

Felipe
12-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Any news on this subject ?
Softimage could offer a lite version of shave and a haircut as Newtek did with saslite blundle in Lightwave. At least we can do some basic fur then. I have tried 2d_fur shader and I couldnt get any satisfactory results.
Maybe a 3d party developer could offer an option as well, keeping between $ 200 - $ 400 I think its reasonable price to pay.

Thx,

Felipe

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.