View Full Version : Shader blue print??

Ziah
08-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Im trying to convert a shader for maya to be used in xsi

I read somewhere its a matter of replacing some code

Anyone know how or where i could find that kind of info

bravmm
08-23-2004, 09:57 AM
This would be interesting to see for the MR shaders for 3dsmax as well. Now MR is implemented in more 3D packages, converting shaders from one 3D package to another would be quite usefull.
Any1 on this??
I would like to try myself, but need some info HOW to get started ;)

cheers,

rob

Atyss
08-23-2004, 10:28 AM
All you need is to write a spdl file. This is the interface layout and logic of the shader. Check the mental ray integration guide from the docs.

Then put the .dll and the .spdl file in the same folder, launch a SI shell, run
xsibatch -i filename.spdl

XSI will take care of the rest.

Cheers
Bernard

bravmm
08-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Bernard,

I tried that with one of the 3dsmax MR-Lume shaders. They've been converted to Maya, and I was giving it a go for XSI. I wrote the SPDL, did the -i thingy, even tried adding it within the xsi interface (SPDL install). I get a shader, a PPG, but still get render errors and black renders. Must be doing something wrong.

Any more thoughts on this, help would be appreciated,

rob

Atyss
08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Do you get a Shader Not Found error? If so, check if you have a file called msvcr70.dll or msvcr71.dll in Windows\system32. If not, you may need one.
Also, if you are trying to use the shader through a workgroup, you might need to edit the workgroup bat file...
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=13169

Cheers
Bernard

bravmm
08-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the dll tip. Where can I find this dll on the web. Is this somewhere to be found for download?
As far as installing the shader, so far I didn't go the workgroup route yet, just local user install.

Will check the dll first :thumbsup:

cheers,

rob

edit: never mind, found the dll on the web. Google, duh!!

edit edit: When I convert a SI|3D material shader to XSI, the only way to use it in the RT is linking it directly to the material node. Any other slot/node won't work. Is this a MR 2.x > 3.x limitation, or must the shader be phenominized??

JDex
08-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Try disconnecting the main shader (Phong, Blinn etc...) from the shadow and photon slots of the Material Node. Some shaders don't work with those slots.

bravmm
08-23-2004, 11:45 AM
JDex,

Good tip! Gonna try later on, don't have XSI running right now.

cheers,

rob

Ziah
08-23-2004, 03:25 PM
oohhh some one replied ,someone replied:bounce:

bravmm
have you found the process hard im a newb so im hoping its not to hard

Im trying to convert Tocpe skin shader for xsi use

bravmm
08-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Progress so far,

Converted SI|3D shaders are working now, Jdex tip was right on the spot! Disconnecting the shadow and photon slots of the Material Node did the trick. At least ow I know I'm doing something right with the conversion.

Converted Lume shader still not working, despite the msvcr70.dll AND msvcr71.dll files in the \system32 folder. I am now getting back guid shader errors on the shaders. Oh well, back to the drawing board :eek:

cheers,

rob
p.s. Ziah, have a look at xsibase.com, there's already much discussed about a skin shader, it looks like xsi and maya users are doing the same thing with the diffusion shader.

Ziah
08-23-2004, 08:23 PM
thanx bravmm I have been playing with the diffusion shader there is also another one called md subscatter which is closer to the version im looking for as i have read....

However Im getting better results with the diffusion shader

can't quite figure out how subscatter one works lack of skill i guess:)

Ziah
08-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Ive work the diffusion shader into my won and it working pretty nice i get a better scatter ..still trying with the md scatter and haven't gotten to much luck as yet
qucik screen grap
http://www.geocities.com/balbless/screengrab.txt

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.