PDA

View Full Version : Hair Primative

EDDIEthePIRATE
08-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Has anyone played with coding with Mental Rays new Hair Primitive. It's almost impossible to find info on it. I know the current version of Maya is using it but I can't seem to find any Info/Tut on using it in XSI.

Eddie

ThE_JacO
08-22-2004, 06:00 PM
MI_Hair primitive isn't exactly fresh out of the oven.

XSI's hair system generates MI_Hair primitives since at least 2 or 3 versions infact, that can then be shaded with a couple of different shaders that come out of the box or with a freebie by Daniel "BigMuh" Rind.

EDDIEthePIRATE
08-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Where could I find coding examples????????

ThE_JacO
08-22-2004, 06:46 PM
what do you want to actually do?
shade MI_Hair primitive from a system or actually build them (eventually from maps to write your own hair system or other shaders)?

EDDIEthePIRATE
08-22-2004, 07:11 PM
We have run into severe problems when we needed to fur an entire creature. Massive render times even without motion blur. But we have more and more requests for furry little muppets every day. So we are trying to figure out how to write a custom hair system. It's been my understanding that untill very recently the hair has been a modified "Shave and a Haircut" code. I personally am not a programmer but my 2 partners are. They said they were having problems finding info, So I thought I would give it a shot. Anyway we have had Problems if the hair count breaks 100.000.

eddie

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.