PDA

View Full Version : ati 9800xt and mental rayvxsi4 doesnt works

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-22-2004, 12:11 PM
hello
my problem is the next:

mental ray rendering in xsi4 doesnt works if i trying to render, the xsi 4 is freezing, but xsi 3.5 works absolutly well
the funny thing is that my fellow has a 9600pro, and his xsi4 is render with mentalray perfectly. i dont want to render @ my fellow so please help me :)
anyone can tell me the relations of those thing?
thank u very mutch

Atyss
08-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Are you trying to render the same scene? And have you tried rendering a sphere, just to see if it renders? Without any detail about what you did it's pretty to pinpoint the source of the problem, wich might not be related to graphic card.

Cheers
Bernard

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-22-2004, 04:32 PM
i tried a sphere at my pc and my fellow's computer too
i tried a highpoly model too, and the render doesnt works only under mental ray
i tried the same scene at 3.51 and there was a succesfull rendering

my pc:
athlon 2600xp
1g 400mhz ram
asus a7n8x-x motherboard

what kind of details do u need too? i'll write it at the moment as u tell me :)
thanks your cooperation

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Are you trying to render the same scene? And have you tried rendering a sphere, just to see if it renders? Without any detail about what you did it's pretty to pinpoint the source of the problem, wich might not be related to graphic card.

Cheers
Bernard

i tried a sphere at my pc and my fellow's computer too
i tried a highpoly model too, and the render doesnt works only under mental ray
i tried the same scene at 3.51 and there was a succesfull rendering

my pc:
athlon 2600xp
1g 400mhz ram
asus a7n8x-x motherboard

what kind of details do u need too? i'll write it at the moment as u tell me :)
thanks your cooperation

Galathron
08-22-2004, 06:54 PM
I also have a Radeon 9800 Pro (XT-core.) At one point, my computer kept freezing after using certain operations in XSI 4.0 Foundation Demo. I didn't have the particular problem of it freezing during rendering, however, I did find a solution to my own freezing problem by doing a clean reinstall of the graphics drivers. Try rebooting into safe-mode and uninstalling all of your graphics drivers then reboot and reinstall them. It seems that the Radeon-series seems to much more finicky with XSI 4.0 than with 3.0 and 3.5.

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-22-2004, 11:58 PM
sorry for the double post

i reintsalled the whole pc, included the graphic card driver :)
what's the version of your gc?

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I also have a Radeon 9800 Pro (XT-core.) At one point, my computer kept freezing after using certain operations in XSI 4.0 Foundation Demo. I didn't have the particular problem of it freezing during rendering, however, I did find a solution to my own freezing problem by doing a clean reinstall of the graphics drivers. Try rebooting into safe-mode and uninstalling all of your graphics drivers then reboot and reinstall them. It seems that the Radeon-series seems to much more finicky with XSI 4.0 than with 3.0 and 3.5.
i just bring it up
so whats the version of your gc?

bravmm
08-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Dear Forum moderators,

Is there a way to get a sticky post to the certified hardware link on the Softimage website. I know this sounds a little harsh, but we've seen this kind of posts more then we want to.....:sad:
Ecspecially with all the newcomers that picked up the Foundation package.

For everybody having problems with XSI in one corner or the other, get yourself a decent graphic card. And no, a game-based card will not do! If your card works, you're lucky. Check the forums on this. You're not alone with your problem. 3D applications and OpenGL are a not the same as a game using OPenGL.

PLease check the Softimage website for certified hardware, please.....
link: http://www.softimage.com/partners/xsi/Hardware_Partners/Hardware_Cert/graphicscards.htm

Galatron: a ATI card is a bad rap with XSI, in every gamecard based version. If you want to stick using ATI, buy an FireGL or alike. You will get rid of the screen artifacts and "selecting" problems as well.

Now that I have this of my chest, let's check the rest of the posts :twisted:

cheers,

rob

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Dear Forum moderators,

Is there a way to get a sticky post to the certified hardware link on the Softimage website. I know this sounds a little harsh, but we've seen this kind of posts more then we want to.....:sad:
Ecspecially with all the newcomers that picked up the Foundation package.

For everybody having problems with XSI in one corner or the other, get yourself a decent graphic card. And no, a game-based card will not do! If your card works, you're lucky. Check the forums on this. You're not alone with your problem. 3D applications and OpenGL are a not the same as a game using OPenGL.

PLease check the Softimage website for certified hardware, please.....
link: http://www.softimage.com/partners/xsi/Hardware_Partners/Hardware_Cert/graphicscards.htm

Galatron: a ATI card is a bad rap with XSI, in every gamecard based version. If you want to stick using ATI, buy an FireGL or alike. You will get rid of the screen artifacts and "selecting" problems as well.

Now that I have this of my chest, let's check the rest of the posts :twisted:

cheers,

rob

we, ati users like challenges :)
there was a problem with xsi 3.51 and raycast selection, and ati wrote a driver that fixed it (or xsi does, its nevermind :D)!
ati card can render with mental ray under xsi, i feel it :) (like my friend's 9600pro) in my case its only something software problem, so i hope somebody help me, and share a working driver verison (or else)

thanks the link anyway :)

SpeccySteve
08-24-2004, 07:44 PM
For everybody having problems with XSI in one corner or the other, get yourself a decent graphic card. And no, a game-based card will not do! If your card works, you're lucky. Actually, certified or not, recent NVidia game cards seem to be fine with XSI from what I've seen.

You might need to fiddle with the drivers and settings, but they do generally work.

-Steve

bravmm
08-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Yes, you might get the card working with a bit of "fiddling" of the drivers, but a lot of users do not do this or know how. And when they do end up with strange results in the XSI interface /rendering/FXTree etc. they nag about it and blame the software.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a nasty discussion about hardware, but i've seen a discussion about similar problems polluting the XSI mailforum the last couple of days and frankly, i'm a bit tired of posting the same answers over and over again.
But this probably me talking due to lack of sleep :twisted:

cheers,

rob

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Yes, you might get the card working with a bit of "fiddling" of the drivers, but a lot of users do not do this or know how. And when they do end up with strange results in the XSI interface /rendering/FXTree etc. they nag about it and blame the software.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a nasty discussion about hardware, but i've seen a discussion about similar problems polluting the XSI mailforum the last couple of days and frankly, i'm a bit tired of posting the same answers over and over again.

cheers,

rob

where is that xsi mailforum? if u redirect me a "xsi vs ati" specified place, thats would be a great help to me

SpeccySteve
08-24-2004, 11:47 PM

cheers,

rob
Fair enough dude, I was just pointing out that in most cases you'll be fine with an NVidia.

I completely agree that certified cards are the way to go if you have the cash, but a lot of students / hobbyists get by just fine on standard Geforce cards, in my case all I had to do was fiddle with the AA settings to get rid of a raycast edge-select issue, and that was it really, no major tweakings, just a checkbox.

I just didn't want anyone to think that they couldn't try out XSI because they don't have a pro video card.

-Steve

Galathron
08-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Sorry about the delay,

nyalkaval_zazazva: I have the MSI version of the Radeon 9800 Pro (shows up as a 9800 XT.) After a clean reinstall of the graphics drivers I haven't had any issues with the graphics card. I have been working on a 700,000 polygon mesh today (including sample renders) without a single freeze or any weird artifacts. If you still have problems you may try installing the latest motherboard/agp drivers and disabling different AGP options like side-band addressing, fast writes, etc. If you are using performance RAM, you might want to relax the timing a little since rendering is processor/memory intensive.

bravmm: I am well aware of the issues that others have been having with ATi cards for quite some time and was debating between this particular card, the nVidia FX5900 XT and the Quadro 980 XGL. However, at the end I decided to purchase the Radeon 9800 Pro since I knew what I was getting myself into.

bravmm
08-25-2004, 11:04 AM
nyalkaval_zazazva: the xsi mailforum is to be found at the Softimage website>community part. You have to register to receive mail. It's a more "highend" user crowd in there, so be carefull with newby questions... :wise:

SpeccySteve: I hear you, and it would be nice if NVIDIA and ATI would solve the most common problems. What I've read so far here they're doin' a fine job at the moment.

Galathron: Your remarks about drivers and such is just what I wanted to say. Not every user is fluent in this kind of stuff, so that's no option there in a lot of cases, I know from experience....

I would still like to see a sticky post about this, maybe with some tips and tricks from the users in the forum about tweaking your specific card(s), if needed :D

Enough said about this, back to work, cheers all :)

nyalkaval_zazazva
08-25-2004, 11:08 PM
thanks the helps, i try to earn with them :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.