PDA

View Full Version : weird dongle error

Iysun
08-21-2004, 11:04 PM
For some reason, when my dongle is plugged into a USB port, when I turn my PC on my BIOS won't load. I unplug it and boom, BIOS loads fine.

Im thinking maybe this is a hardware error most likey on my motherboard, I was installing two new heatsink/fans on my processors, and was a little hard on the motherboard I think, but maybe this has happened before to someone?

zen jehad
08-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Have you got any other USB devices you can plug in? Try that while it's booting, and then when your OS loads, plug, and unplug your USB devices to se if they get recognised on the fly.

If youre experiencing this only at boot time, wait till the OS loads, thentry to plug in yur dongle then, see what happens.

also, check out your USB settings in the BIOS, something might have gotten fuggered.

Iysun
08-22-2004, 04:07 AM
I have tried another device and it loads fine, one of those printer, scanner, photocopier in one. I also have checked though my BIOS and everything is fine there. Thats why im sorta wonderng if it is indeed the dongle and not a hardware issue. I dont have any other USB devices unfortunatly so i cant check anything else.

zen jehad
08-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Ah right, so the only USB device is the dongle, and the other devices you tried are non-USB?

If you could try and get hold of another USB device and see if the issue still persists with it plugged in, if it did, then it's probably the USB comtroller on your computer. That's the thing with only the dongle, it could be it, or the computer, mind you, I remember the days of parrallel dongles and how they'd fail on a regular basis.

Did you try unplugging the dongle while the computer loads, then plugging it in once the OS is up and running? Or if you have another computer, install the spm software and dongle and see what happens.

Again, it's a bit hard to find out iwhich thing is the issue when theres just one USV device and computer.

Iysun
08-22-2004, 07:30 PM
The printer/scanner thing is a usb device, and it works fine when i turn on my PC. I was meaning that I didnt have a third device besides those two to try.

And yah the dongle works fine once my OS loads, I just plug back in my dongle and I'm able to use XSI again. I never thought of trying it on my laptop though thats a good idea thanks:wise:

EDDIEthePIRATE
08-22-2004, 07:52 PM
I feel for you my friend I have had so many problems with usb dongles it's not even funny.

eddie

Iysun
08-23-2004, 06:56 AM
ah so it might be the dongle after all? dunno if thats good news or bad news as I got a new mobo and processor on order

ive been wanting to go back with intel anyways so i guess this just kicked me into finaly doing so :D

zen jehad
08-23-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure if it might be the dongle though, since it works fine once you've loaded your OS. So it's something at the BIOS level maybe.

Did you try it on your laptop? one other thing, did anythign happen to your BIOS? Any changes to it? One last thgn to try, maybe flahs your BIOS with an update if there is one. But, like others have said, it probably could be the dongle since they do freak out on you at the most awckward of times. lol

let us know how you get on.

regards.

Iysun
08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Ok I've tried it on my laptop and it works fine, so don't know what that means really:eek:

The only setting in BIOS I can think of that might affect this is the boot section, I would think it is trying to read my USB ports during boot, but I've checked in BIOS and there is no reason it should be.

I was thinking of flashing my BIOS as well, but I think iI'll just wait on my new motherboard to arrive and see what happens then, suppose to be today at some point.

Also I have been recently getting the blue screen of death, telling me Parity error, after I've plugged the dongle back in, not sure for sure if the dongle is the cause though.

zen jehad
08-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Just wondering, have you changed your RAM recently? That could be due to RAM acting funky and leading to the BSODs you're getting. Good news in a way that it seems the dongle is fine, but the Bios is acting odd. Least you got the new m/board coming, so that should be ok.

Just thought of something, is the internal clock on your m/board ok too, is time-keeping behaving alright? Maybe it's out of whack.

Computers, murder at times. lol

Iysun
08-24-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi zen,
Clocks fine and I did unplug my ram while I changed the heatsink/fans for my processors, because they were in the way, but its still the same ram it was before.

Now though windows won't even recognize my dongle when i plug it in, so i cant use XSI:sad:
I have tried reinstalling the SMP software and i-wire software as well., But again everything else works fine it seems. Waiting to hear back from Softimage as well.

cheers

zen jehad
08-24-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm wondering if the Ram has become damaged or something because of the parity errors you got. Are you getting anymore blue screens without the dongle plugged in? I remember I had a machine in which I didn't put enough cooling on the processors, and it crashed pretty regularly, but I guess it's different for you since the problems are based around the dongle.

It is strange though how it works on your laptop, but not on the other computer.

patmals
08-26-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but could it be related to USB 1.1 vs USB 2.0 hardware support or something?

Iysun
08-27-2004, 02:17 AM
im not sure for about the ram, and i have usb 2.0 so it should be fine, im still waitng on my new motherboard ! but imalmost positve thats the problem. as I have tried the dongle on 2 other pc's now and it works fine.

I miss XSI though :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.