PDA

View Full Version : How to create a realistic forest landscape

JPole19
08-21-2004, 07:04 PM
im using maya 5 and need to create a forest landscape and was wondering the different ways of doing this
the camera will be just above the treetops and move down to around eye level i have tried paint effects and was not able to get the level of realism i am after
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
jason

Exan
08-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Modelling every tree could be a bit difficult...
But you can mix billboards, and 3d geometry.

To increase the realism use Outdoor Atmospherical Light Scattering *.

And try to create more layers of wood...
layers along the Y axis ( Grass, Bushes, little to big trees, and their treetops ),
and layers along X, and Z... Dead trees, more green ones, more mixed ones...

Try to find a forest picture in google. And look at the characteristica.

-----
* Bluey environment fog ;)

Dyami
08-22-2004, 02:29 AM
i would model 5 or so different tree shapes along with tree type and just copy and paste them basically, randmoly througout the scene...

alex.ongaro
08-23-2004, 05:59 AM
You can do what Dyami suggested, and go a little further using particle instancer. In this way you can control through expressions placement and scale of your trees, it also help you keep the scene light since your actually instancing geomtery.
Also you could implement a level of detail through expressions, providing to your instancer some low resolutions geometry, and switch them based on how far from camera your trees are.

chaoticreality
08-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Alex has some good tips. It mostly depends on your camera work, environment and lighting. One thing you could do if you have time is to develop your own paint effect, customize them and enforce hi-res textures. You could add a little turbulence in the paint effects to add a little animation to make them a little more believable. Try to see as many reference videos on this natural environments.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.