PDA

View Full Version : so slow for something so easy

brenton
08-21-2004, 08:24 AM
right now i'm modeling a vehicle from a tutorial in the WIP section and i'm adding edges using the "Add Edge" tool and it's taking almost a minute to add an edge. From all the talk on how fast XSI is i'm guessing this isn't normal, that or i'm pretty impatient. Is there something i could do to help speed up the process?

If need be i'll post the site for my computer's specs.

ChristianFischer
08-21-2004, 08:27 AM
do you freeze the model from time to time?

JDex
08-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Yep give us specs... and elaborate on the minute it's taking.

I can generally add an edge in 2-3 seconds...

ChristianFischer
08-21-2004, 08:30 AM
uh ... 2-3 seconds is also slow ...
if i add edges it is there as soon as i release the mouse ...

maybe you should try to work in "immediate" mode

brenton
08-21-2004, 08:32 AM
yes i did try freezing the model via the freeze button in the lower right corner and it didn't help that much. so i'm thinking it may be my computer or what not.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07974

JDex
08-21-2004, 08:36 AM
uh ... 2-3 seconds is also slow ...
if i add edges it is there as soon as i release the mouse ...
That includes the time of making sure I'm putting it where I want it and factoring in my laptop's specs. ;)

ChristianFischer
08-21-2004, 08:39 AM
That includes the time of making sure I'm putting it where I want it and factoring in my laptop's specs. ;)ahh. then it's pretty fast i guess :D

@ brenton ... your computer is faster than mine.
i really don't know why it's so slow :shrug:

StefanA
08-21-2004, 12:46 PM
what about graphics card? Do you use that GF4 MX crap? It is a pretty old card, but it still wouldnt be the sole reason though.
Did you do a lot of "merge" between two polymodels? Cause when you do that it will save clusters, so you might have hundreds of cluseters on your polymodel which would slow down a lot. And how much ram did you have?

best regards
stefan andersson

brenton
08-21-2004, 03:41 PM
yeah i still have the MX card and the 512MB of Ram & no i haven't done any merging between two models at all.

i just did a time check to see how long it really took and it takes about 11 seconds just to add the edge, it also took that long just to split the edge in the first place.

SpeccySteve
08-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Hmm, that really is far too long to add an edge.

It should be almost instantaneous, few seconds tops.

I don't think it's likely to be your graphics card, the college machines we were using had bog standard gfx ( onboard I think, whatever it is ships with basic Dells..) and they were fine.
If your polycount is massive or your textures are huge it could be the problem I suppose.

The first thing that popped into my head was "scene needs freezing" but if you've already done that I don't really know. You might want to check in your scene explorer, just in case the freeze didn't work or you only froze a small part of your operator stack thingy.

Is it just as bad when you add edges in immediate mode?

brenton
08-21-2004, 06:10 PM
i'll check the scene explorer and see if i can find something.

since i'm not that experienced in XSI (been using the 30 day trial) What exactly is "immediate mode"

SpeccySteve
08-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Immediate mode is much the same as standard modelling but it doesn't store every operation and build an operator stack.

It's the "Immed" button right at the bottom of the right hand side in standard display. ( depending on resolution you might need to minimise desktop for it to show.)

francescaluce
08-21-2004, 06:16 PM

ciao
francesca

brenton
08-21-2004, 06:48 PM
alright, well since i found a couple extra buttons first i pressed the Immed button and well XSI decided "not responding" was the best case. so i then reopened XSI and pressed the "Freeze M" button and Voila works like a charm.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.