PDA

View Full Version : New XSI foundation customer counter

mauves
08-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Well starting with me (I ordered it last monday):

PS. I just thought it would be interesting to know how many new clients Softimage got here at CGTALK with their new very low price policy. Might be interesting for other software companies and who knows might maybe influence their future pricing. :thumbsup:

Edit:
I have been using Cinema 4D for about a year. Have been very happy with it but I wanted to learn one of the 'bigger' apps (maya-xsi), because I want some studioexperience and there aren't still too many studios who rely on C4D. So with Foundation it will be XSi now. :)

fastfingersneal
08-20-2004, 08:00 PM
I just got mine delivered today:thumbsup:

jorgevaldes
08-20-2004, 08:06 PM
I ordered wednesday night (actually early thursday, I guess, since it was after 12 am)

Shipping status: "Pending. Licence Sent"

The funny thing is, it'll probably get here before I even have a PC to run it on, hehe.

EDIT - Started with Alias Power Animator (I think that's what it was called) on a SGI Indigo II extreme and a SGI Indy, but that was mainly fooling around while the computers were not being used by the real animators...
After that I fooled around a bit with Specular Infini-D... but after playing with Alias on an SGI, Infini-D on a mac felt incredibly slow and limited, so I lost interest...
Then a couple years ago I discovered Cinema4D which I've used untill now and will probably continue to use in the future.

GatorNic
08-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Waiting on mine as well. Ordered it last Monday. What I am wondering is when they release the linux version if they will have a download for that, maybe do a trade-in or something. I really would rather have the linux version.

Edit - As for past programs, started on MAX. Also now know Maya and Houdini, although I primarily work in Maya. Really looking forward to learning XSI. Everything I have seen with it, it seems like it is the package for me. However I will still use Maya quite a bit.

SevenString
08-20-2004, 08:30 PM
New XSI guy, here. I purchased because of the new pricing.

I come from a pretty deep 3D background. I wrote my first shaded 3D polygon modeller on an Atari400 when I was about 14 or so, and started working in the videogames industry in 1984, developing real-time terrain code and art tools. I've been doing realtime and non-realtime 3D software development ever since, as well as doing CG work on music videos, commercials, and film fx work.

I've also been a user of a lot of commercial packages, including:

3DS for DOS (all the way back to version 2) and MAX (up to version 4)
Gave up on MAX, due to the random crashes at the worst moments, and the frankensteinian menu hell.

Lightwave (up to 7.5)
Liked the app (for the most part) but I sold it a few months ago because I noticed the slow but steady increase in price of the app, and I didn't want to pay nearly half the cost of my original purchase, just to get a .5 upgrade to 8.0

Animation:Master
Tried using this since the old "Will Vinton's Playmation" days, finally gave up around version 9. The t-shirt with "C*R*A*S*H" on the front says it all for me. I hear it's better these days, but I don't feel like paying more money to find out that I'm still beta-testing, yet not allowed to talk about crashes if I want to stay in the developer's good graces.

Messiah:Animate and Messiah:Studio
A great app with killer character tools! I was planning on using "Studio" as a major part of my pipeline, with modelling mainly done in Wings3D or Silo. I had to rethink that, though, when I found out I could buy XSI:Foundation for under $500. Also, although the character tools ARE production proven, the jury is still out on the renderer. Very powerful, but not something you can just jump in and start using out of the box. XSI's mentalray interface seems to work more like the way i think.

TrueSpace
Interesting and fun... but not "my" application. Great example of software developers thinking outside of the box, but i'm sort of "old-school" when it comes to the way I like to work in 3D.

Blender (not to be underestimated)
Great workflow, once you get used to Blender's hot-key centric way of working. I really like this app, and am amazed at how far it's come. However, the lack of support for compositing passes, as well as lack of high-end image output options keeps me from considering it for my current project. Also, the character tools, while improving, just can't compete with messiah or XSI.

As for the XSI price drop, I'm certain that this will have huge influence on other 3D Software companies. For one thing, Softimage (Avid) seems to be so swamped with orders that they're having difficulty keeping up, so for the short term, this is a new massive influx of "commercial" XSI users for them. It could be even beyond what they predicted in terms of immediate sales. Those sales figures, if and when they become public, should be quite eye-opening.

As for the long term, I predict that XSI sales will continue to be brisk. Although there will most likely be a falloff in the current mad rush on XSI Foundation, the price/perfomance ration of XSI vs. other commercial packages is just too darned compelling. At least compared to the pricing of most other applications. Blender doesn't count, because that ratio produces a divide-by-zero error. ;)

I think that as new users come to grips with XSI Foundation, many will have a desire to upgrade to Essentials or Advanced, and will eventually act on that desire, whether done as part of a personal project studio, or as a factor of working for another organization and recommending XSI as their desired platform. Lord knows that the new lower pricing on ESS and ADV should help Softimage make inroads into studios that were previously MAX, Maya, or LW houses, especially if artists are recommending it because that's what they use personally.

My GOD!!! For a mere $495, one can buy roughly the same software that ILM and other major studios have chosen as key for THEIR animation pipelines, with tightly integrated MentalRay rendering and some of the best CA tools that money can buy.

HOOOOahhh!!!

Jag Panzer
08-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Received my copy in the mail yesterday.

My first 3d app was Sculpt 3d when I was 21. I formed a tiny 2-person company with a buddy, bid on an Air Force training contract, and won it. We provided 3d satellite graphics for training systems.

I then moved up to Sculpt 4d, then Imagine. I found Imagine's customer service to be poor so I switched to 3d Studio (Dos version 4). I wasn't crazy about Max, so I switched to Lightwave. I've been using Lightwave since 5.5 and I currently own 8.0.

I will continue to use Lightwave (I have 2 projects in progress with lots of Lightwave), plus I do like the program.

I've always like Mental Ray, so I'm looking forward to jumping in and getting my feet wet with XSI.

Mark

SheepFactory
08-20-2004, 08:41 PM
I am getting mine today. i use edu version but with the current pricing its a good time to get a commercial license.

Signal2Noise
08-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Guess I'm #8.

Got my package on Aug. 17. Haven't really dug into the app itself yet. Been spending time checking out the DVDs. And playing Doom 3 and Far Cry. The shame...:blush:

I plan to start going through XSI tutorials this weekend. I was an XSI EXP user prior to buying it, tho'.

[edit] Whoops! When I originally posted I coulda sworn I was number 7! But when I do the math now I'm really number 8. Sorry dudes, ya'll will have to fix your numbers.

coryc
08-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Ordered Thursday.

I've used LW since 5.6. I will continue to use it at least until I know XSI well enough.

runejw
08-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Waiting for mine, but hey the license key makes waiting easy.

Ordered it 11.th august with the slow-shipping option (* Update received it finally! DVD's looking very good. Was with status "SAP Created" for 12 days, then shipped via UPS from Ireland on 24.th and delivered on the 30.th august)

Today the local dealer announced a price that seems to match the web price. VERY refreshing change from the usual "markup" in that case.

Anyway it's certainly worth the price.

My first 3D app was Macromedia Extreme 3D that shipped with a magazine once upon a time (ca 1998 -"Worth 550") and it was pretty cool at the time, but they didn't continue the development of that. Anyone here ever use that app ? :buttrock:

Historic link from that age: http://www.byte.com/art/9712/sec13/art3.htm

After that Truespace and Cinema 4D SE v5 (also witha magazines) and then Animation:Master 2000 (8.0-8.5) which was really cool - when it worked... sometime between specific bugfixes... Then got tired of the crashes and AM support (or lack thereof) especially.

Then last year Carrara Studio 3 (http://www.eovia.com/carrara/product_intro_car3.jsp) which is also quite a lot of value for the money (HDRI, GI, Caustics, decent material system, high "FUN-Factor" , non-photoreal renders, etc) And user-friendly I think.

Also bought Cinema 4D CE+ (equivalent to XL6 but without the possibility for the Bhodinut materials). I think C4D also has one of the more user-friendly interfaces, and especially the object hierarchy is excellent.

This year however my budget went to XSI 4.0 (Fnd) no hesitation whatsoever after checking out the demo for 3 hours - and I continually find that this app is "deeper" than any I've owned previously. It just feels like a match for what I want from a 3D app :thumbsup:

Cometsoft
08-20-2004, 09:45 PM
#10, just got the box today. Am going throught the dvds now. Really like what I see. Love the myriad of selection options.

Regarding the question below Maya and Zbrush, plus the usual 2d stuff.

mauves
08-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Sorry, haven't been very torough in first post.

Could you specify (and edit your post) which app(s) you were using before and or still plan to use beside XSI foundation?

cheers

CraigT
08-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Have my Foundation key but waiting on the package. I presently use MAYA5.0, used LW(1-7) but sold it, used C4DXL5(sold it), Alladin, Imagine, Realsoft, Calligari and last but not least, a 3D app. on the Atari ST that was originally done by one of the original 3D Studio programmers. Sorry you asked now? :-)))) BTW, I do plan on using MAYA if I HAVE to for some reason but prefer XSI's workflow(and always did).

thedaemon
08-20-2004, 11:39 PM

Was a max user, frustrated with it slowness. Now I can work in a speedy app.

Hazmat
08-20-2004, 11:46 PM
I got my box copy of XSI today and am quite stoked to learn it. Such a great deal...

I've been using trueSpace since 1998, which is probably the only way that I would have learned 3D (because it's so visual, and I'm so visual). I'll still use it for a while because sometimes I need to knock out some quick models or renders... I suspect I won't be doing anything quick in XSI for a while. I was actually planning to buy LW when this deal came out, so needless to say, I'm pretty damn happy and $1100 richer. :buttrock:

Karma Mule
08-21-2004, 12:30 AM
I started out with Caligari trueSpace 5, then got C4D. Just received my XSI Foundation earlier this week. Will be going through the tutorial DVDs for a l-o-n-g time I'm sure, but definitely looking forward to going deeper into this! (I'm sure I'll continue using C4D too, but tS is relegated to the shelf at this point)

-Eddie

KurtLawson
08-21-2004, 01:48 AM
i ordered mine, got it, installed and rendering now. my package list has got to be one of the most unique.

started with sculpt3d on atari st
moved to strata 3d on first powermac
moved to electro-gig on sgi
while learning soft3d 2.0 at school
moved to strata again when got faster a powermac than my sgi
moved to maya 1.0
back to soft 2.7.9
then to max 4
max 5
maya 4.03 thanx to nvidia give away at siggraph
back to max 6
maya 5.01
then full circle to xsi 4 "yeah soft for making this awsome package affordable"

it's funny when i was in school alias power animator and tdi was 87k. and soft 3d was in the 20k range.

it's come a long way. and i gues so have i
lol

kurt

cant wait to make some money with this so i can buy the advanced pack its a ridiculously good deal. if you think it's expensive, count up all the Mental Ray lics you get and price them out for buying standalone seats. then you'll think it's a great deal!

xzevlin
08-21-2004, 02:49 AM
I guess that makes me number 15

I've been using 3dsmax 3.1 since I bought it in 2000 and could never afford to upgrade (funny thing is that XSI is all paid up, and yet I still owe money on max!)

Haven't got my box yet, so I've been going through the old 3D Buzz videos and looking at posts here and at XSIbase. I feel like I've learned so much this week at least in terms of getting textures on models and finding my way around, but it's really like learning a new language.

MitchVFX
08-21-2004, 01:10 PM
16 here.

Started with LW in 2000. It got me through 2 film projects. Added C4D recently, which got me through a trailer. Now I'm hoping XSI gets me through a film project with extensive CA.

Sniffet
08-21-2004, 01:36 PM
#17 Been LW user since 3.0, lately been more involved in Messiah:Studio, but always wanted to lay my hands on XSI. But before the price held me back. No more :) Im very excited to explore the fx side of XSI...

Scrougli
08-21-2004, 04:17 PM

Low end, I'm afraid : Truespace to C4Dv.5 and 6 to Blender (do not underestimate this one) to Foundation. Got hooked after spending just one evening with the demo.
Sorry for the competition though, especially Maxon whose release 9 really looks like another great stride. But then again, I would have bought Maxon's XL-bundle 6 months ago even if the price would have been twice as much as Foundation. But the price didn't even come close, so do the math Maxon (I did) : aim for the same price point or face the inevitable consequences.

cresshead
08-21-2004, 08:19 PM

have placed an order with a reseller so i'll wait for the pro forma invoice then sort zsi foundation out on monday...currently playing with 30 day demo

history:

dream 3d [corel draw] 1997
bryce 2 demo....bryce 3d...bryce 4 1998
inspire 3d [lightwave lite based on lightwave 5.5]
poser 3, poser 4
3dsmax 2.5 and character studio commercial [1999]
3dsmax 3.1 and character studio commercial pro optic suite, metterwaves head designer..etc
3dsmax 4.2 and character studio commercial ...added final render
discreet paint & effect
discreet combustion 1.0
discreet combustion 2.0
lightwave 7.0....7.5....8.0 [V cool app!]
cinema 6.0 CE
lightscape 3.2 [mega app!]
digital fusion+
particle illusion
F PRIME [need i say more?]
thomas 4d rigger tools

...now...

XSi foundation

current apps still in constant commercial use:
3ds max 3.1 & CS
3ds max 4.2 & CS
lightwave 7.5 & lightwave 8.0
lightscape 3.2

apps looking to be retired:
3ds max & CS [character studio]

patmals
08-22-2004, 03:40 AM
Hi Guys,

I own..hmm..lets see...

I have purchased and own:
Maya 5 Complete.
Animation: Master 11
(awaiting my Softimage XSI 4 foundations...arrgghh..me wants NOW!)
Photoshop CS
After Effects 6.5 Pro

Cinema 4d 6 CE (free off magazine)
Vue D'esprit 3 (free off magazine)

I also own, but don't use very often:

Poser 5
Truespace 5
Carrara 2
3d Canvas Pro
Bryce 5

freeware stuff like Blender and Wings 3d.

Ooooh...gimme xsi 4 NOW! (using the demo for now..and I havent received a key coz i am in Australia and couldnt order through Softimage's store..

Pat

vlad74
08-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Tried it couple of days ago and today ordered it. I couldn't resist. It's wonderful package at amazing price. I even couldn't dream about such an offer few weeks ago.

peto
08-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Here I am at # 22, happy to join the ever expanding club!

My background is architectural visualization, I guess it shows in my software CV:

Started working with computers at a student-job, where I had to learn a software called ArchPlus, for its time a great 3D-capable CAAD system.

For my own work however, a full blown CAD soft was obviously a bit too expensive (at that time even educational versions were hard to get) so I was looking for a more affordable, but still powerful solution: Enter formZ, of which I found a demo (v2.9.5) on the net - and fought with it! I was slowly learning Z's often unique way of doing things the hard way but little by little I was falling in love with that software! I was ready to invest into the 3.0 RR version, and it still is to this day my main workhorse. Currently beta testing 4.5.

Great as a modelling tool Z was and is, its rendering engine wasn't developing as fast as i was hoping for, so I started to look behind the fence and discovered great apps like cinema4D and Lightwave, fiddlling quite a lot with their demo versions. I actually bought a copy of 3D Studio VIZ (R3) instead, mostly because of the rumours of VIZ4, promised as a modernized Lightscape...

...which of course wasn't the case, the VIZ(and also MAX) radiosity engine remains really only a half-hearted attempt...

Only as the new "lean and mean" renderers started to pop up (aka finalRender, VRay and Brazil), I warmed up to VIZ again, and now use VIZ2005 with Brazil as my main rendering app. Alas, the whole MAX/VIZ core starts to show its age and is not the most reliable, especially when working on very big scenes and large render output.

So right now I'm diving into all the tutorials I can find for my shiny new XSI foundation (well, virtual shiny, as I haven't recieved the box yet), a software I was curious about a long time, especially the Mental Ray Integration, and always hoped I could actually work in its beautiful interface one day. That day has finally come!

Bucket
08-23-2004, 04:00 AM
Ding

Rhino, LW, C4D, Maya... XSI

MixedNut
08-23-2004, 08:40 AM
That would make me #24?

Using Lightwave, ZBrush, Vue.

I'll continue using them, XSI is 'just' another tool in the box. But I love it already...even if it's somewhat flaky on my setup.

Felipe
08-23-2004, 06:31 PM
So Im #25

Waiting for my copy while going trough tutorials in the 30 days trial version.

Ive been using lightwave since version 2.

Cheers,

Felipe

MLMckenzie
08-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Number 29 here.

I should have the box in my sweaty little hands anytime now. (Tracking UPS as I type).
My 3D journey thus far:

Extreme 3D
Electricimage up to version 2.8 (I was one of the original beta testers of the EI modeler)
(I still love that programs rendering engine, especially for stills)
3D Studio Max R3 (I got this in from the local vendor in exchange for demoing EI at shows)
Lightscape R3.3 (still have, but I never use it)
Pixels 3D (still have but the company has virtually dissapeared on it's users)
Realsoft 3D (I'm the US distributor, and I love it's modeling and rendering)
Rhino V.1 (hardly use, so I haven't upgraded)
Softimage 3D V3.7 (This is where I fell in love with SI's animation tools)
Cinema 4D 8.5 (recently sold it, but still a great tool)
XSI V4 Foundation

Well I bought XSI for one reason: to animate characters. So I will be pestering all you animators with my questions very soon! (After I dive into the training DVD's of course
:) )

Michael McKenzie

Ego
08-24-2004, 02:17 PM
I am getting mine today. i use edu version but with the current pricing its a good time to get a commercial license.Sheep Factory did you have to buy an entirely new license or have them do something with your edu license?

ub52
08-24-2004, 03:07 PM
I just got my email notification yesterday that my copy of XSI has shipped. Now I've just got to wait for it to get from one corner of the US to the other. Can't wait to dig into those training DVD's.

Here is my 3D memory dump:
I got bit by the 3D bug in the early 90's when I saw a raytraced image on the cover of a local computer rag. It was just a pic of an airplane propeller and the caption stated they used POV-Ray to generate it and that it took somthing like 72 hours of rendering time. Undaunted, I found a copy of POV and thus began my journey.

My first commercial app was Imagine, which I used for a couple of years.
Purchased Lightwave at ver 4, and have bought each upgraded up to 8.
I have bought or tried most of the under $300 3d apps, you know the ones, Bryce, Carrara, ect...
With the pricing on XSI I just couldn't resist. I too, am very interested in getting into the animation tools.

Cheers,
-ub52

boxorcist
08-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Recieved my copy yesterday! Dont know what number I am, dont care, just very happy and amazed that such a powerful bit of kit is available at such a stupidly low price.

Ta very much Avid

MitchVFX
08-24-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm still on the pending list. :sad:

JoeBananas
08-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Got mine reserved, hopefully picking it up tomorrow. They'd sold out, so were waiting for another delivery!

The reseller I'm buying it from told me they're selling 5 copies a day at the moment - and that's just from this one reseller in the UK. Worldwide, that's got to be a hell of a lot of new users!

TonyEdwards
08-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Don't know what number I am as it jumped from 24 to 29.

But I'm officially an owner of XSI. Can't wait for the DVDs.

While not a stranger to design/illustration programs I'm fairly new to 3D. I purchased Cinema4D CE+ through 3D World's offer and own Swift3D.

I was going to buy Cinema4D R8.5 anticipating the (then unannounced) release of R9 but the big price drop announced at Siggraph made owning XSI this year a reality. With C4D I would have to get the core first and then upgrade later to a package comparable to XSI Foundations.

My next planned software purchase are:

- ZBrush
- XSI Essentials
- Possibly BodyPaint and even a copy of C4D

coryc
08-25-2004, 05:35 PM
My next planned software purchase are:

- ZBrush
- XSI Essentials
- Possibly BodyPaint and even a copy of C4D
If you do fluids or Dynamics another future purchase to consider is Realflow 3 which does both and looking at the demo videos, it does both very well. They are running a special until 10/31 for RF2.5 for $1200 and get RF3 for free. XSI + RF would be a killer combo I think.

macman3d
08-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Well, if Cirrus9 is 29, call me 30 :) Just ordered my copy of foundations today. I'm a student at SCAD and began way back in the day (around the 5th grade) with Strata...having been inspired by Myst. Moved on through Raydream, then Electric Image, then on to C4D R7. Cinema was amazing, utterly amazing, and still is. But being a student I really don't want to be limited to non-commercial use of a 3D package. As it is now, I would have had to pay almost $600 for an EDU license of C4D XL R9 with Bodypaint. But here I can get the same and much more in XSI Foundation for only $495, and its a commercial license. So, the choice was not hard to make. But still ever faithful to C4D though!

So....there you have it. Now I just have to wait for it to get here:bounce:

nealb4me
08-26-2004, 02:20 AM
#31 w00t

The price drop came just in time for me as I was looking into the $2700 version. The place im getting it from has 40 copies on backorder, lol

TonyEdwards
08-26-2004, 04:34 AM
If you do fluids or Dynamics another future purchase to consider is Realflow 3 which does both and looking at the demo videos, it does both very well. They are running a special until 10/31 for RF2.5 for $1200 and get RF3 for free. XSI + RF would be a killer combo I think.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look into that.

DimitrisLiatsos
08-26-2004, 10:12 AM
I 've ordered my XSI 4 Foundation last Moday ...it will probably come next week.

I am realy curious to play with this one. :bounce: :bounce:

GatorNic
08-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Anybody order after Aug. 16th and got their copy already? Just wondering, I am still pending. :sad:

Oh and on possibly getting a trade-in for the Linux version, I recieved 2 emails. The first said they were still working on pricing info for the linux version and that there might be a slight price difference from the windows version, so the difference might have to be made up. The second just said that they were still working out the details, but would be able to work something out for the change.

thanks.

Chinny
08-26-2004, 04:16 PM
>>> Oh and on possibly getting a trade-in for the Linux version, I recieved 2 emails. The first said they were still working on pricing info for the linux version and that there might be a slight price difference from the windows version, so the difference might have to be made up. The second just said that they were still working out the details, but would be able to work something out for the change.<<<

Hi

Nothing has been set yet regarding pricing and\or switching\upgrading between windows and linux. When the linux version is available, all the options and pertinent information will be made available.

We will try to make everyone happy.

Chinny
XSI Product Manager

JDex
08-26-2004, 08:17 PM
We will try to make everyone happy.

Chinny
XSI Product Manager
Which you guys do a pretty good job at. I'll hopefully make the DVD Promo. Can't wait to officially be 4.

alexyork
08-26-2004, 10:09 PM
tomorrow, I shall be Four :)

CraigT
08-26-2004, 11:18 PM
I ordered mine Aug 12 and it finally looks like it is being shipped(Aug26). I sure won't complain though- I'm plenty happy to even be getting it(and getting the emailed key didn't hurt). :-)

Craig

GatorNic
08-27-2004, 12:09 AM
I ordered mine Aug 12 and it finally looks like it is being shipped(Aug26). I sure won't complain though- I'm plenty happy to even be getting it(and getting the emailed key didn't hurt). :-)

Craig
Yeah I am definitly not complaining either. Just excited and anxious to get ahold of the dvds and the paper manuals that come with it. I can do tutorials so much easier out of book than having to keep flipping back and forth between programs. No dual monitors here! :sad:

gpaul
08-27-2004, 02:45 AM
Hi everybody,

This is my first posting at cgtalk. I ordered my copy of XSI Foundation yesterday. Our reseller said it may take 3-4 weeks since the package has to ship from UK. Anyway, I'm happy I could finally take the plunge; the offer was too hard to resist :)

-George

ndog
08-27-2004, 03:33 AM
There are no printed tutorials with the package, all that's covered in the extra CD/DVDs.

Signal2Noise
08-27-2004, 04:16 AM
nix21: You'll be disappointed when you receive a hardcopy manual. Manual. No plural.

However, the DVDs and Media CD are quite extensive so you'll get all the training you need. Also, I mentioned this in another thread and it's worth mentioning again...

The tutorial (media & documentation CDs) PDFs that ship with XSI have most of the same tutorials found in the hardcopy book that shipped with XSI EXP 3.

Anyone already owning the book can use that rather than trying to do PDF tutorials while working in XSI all on a single screen. :argh:

The PDF Tutorials 1 & 2 also go beyond what is included in the book.

http://store.softimage.com/store/Pr....asp?ITEMID=115 (http://store.softimage.com/store/Products/Details/default.asp?ITEMID=115)

ezaco
08-27-2004, 07:45 AM
?#

I got mine 2 days ago. Shipping times seem to vary a lot. I ordered mine through Avid Finland and it took 12 days to ship.

akiratoo
08-28-2004, 02:33 PM
I ordered my copy on the 23rd, so going on what I have read I hope to get it someday.

I have used and still am using Cinema 4d 6 and 8.5, have a small amount of knowlege of FormZ, Stitcher, Imagebuilder, After Effect 6.5, Motionbuilder plus a few ther programs like bryce, poser, Vue, and of course Photoshop.
I am working very slowly through some of the tutorials included in the download but would love to get my hands on some printed manuals. Is anyone aware if they will ever be made available. I do find it some what easier having a book rather than a PDF file even with two screen ( PC and Laptop)

GatorNic
08-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I took a look at my order status online and it now says "SAP created" instead of pending. Anybody know what that means? I haven't received a shipping confirmation or anything, so I wasn't sure.

SheepFactory
08-28-2004, 07:43 PM
nix21: You'll be disappointed when you receive a hardcopy manual. Manual. No plural.

However, the DVDs and Media CD are quite extensive so you'll get all the training you need. Also, I mentioned this in another thread and it's worth mentioning again...

The tutorial (media & documentation CDs) PDFs that ship with XSI have most of the same tutorials found in the hardcopy book that shipped with XSI EXP 3.

Anyone already owning the book can use that rather than trying to do PDF tutorials while working in XSI all on a single screen. :argh:

The PDF Tutorials 1 & 2 also go beyond what is included in the book.

http://store.softimage.com/store/Pr....asp?ITEMID=115

Guys here is a tip :

open up netview , and drag drop the manual start.html in it. there you go the whole manual inside xsi and you dont have to alt tab while doing tutorials ;) , its much better than the printed manual.

Signal2Noise
08-28-2004, 08:06 PM
That's a great tip, Sheep. Thanks! :thumbsup:

rube
08-28-2004, 10:36 PM
I ordered my copy at the beginning of the week so add more new user to the list. Just going through the tutorials till the dvd's show up at my door.

rube

jorgevaldes
08-29-2004, 09:32 AM
mine also says "SAP created" since this morning, whatever that means... I got an email telling me It'd on monday, so I guess I'll have it by next weekend

chikega
08-29-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm in ... :thumbsup:

I started my 3d career with Softimage3d back in 1995, but couldn't afford it as a freelancer. I used Imagine3d, then LW and C4d, with a recent interest in messiah.

Maybe we should use a poll as a counter of sorts.

Signal2Noise
08-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Maybe we should use a poll as a counter of sorts.
Done!

Go here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=165657

runejw
08-29-2004, 09:31 PM
mine also says "SAP created" since this morning, whatever that means... I got an email telling me It'd on monday, so I guess I'll have it by next weekend
My order also had that status for quite some days before it changed to shipped, and it means:

"SAP Created" means that your orders was accepted and processed.

I got that answer from the Softimage store and strangely enough the status changed to shipping, just before they wrote their answer to me.

It took one day before they responded also, so it may be that it's busy times for them...

rlph.
08-30-2004, 07:09 AM
?#

I got mine 2 days ago. Shipping times seem to vary a lot. I ordered mine through Avid Finland and it took 12 days to ship.
Which version (foundation?) did you get and how much was it? I just briefly checked avid finland and there wasn't that much info about xsi.

ezaco
08-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaco
?#

Which version (foundation?) did you get and how much was it? I just briefly checked avid finland and there wasn't that much info about xsi.

XSI foundation ordered by phone. 450E+22%=549E+15E(fast shipping 1 day). Proforma invoice needed to pay when XSI was imported in country after that 1 day shipping.

ub52
08-30-2004, 05:28 PM
I placed my order directly from the Avid store on Aug 12. I received a shipping confirmation email with a UPS tracking number from Softimage on the 23. I've been checking UPS's web site daily since then, watching my package cross the US. As of last Friday evening it was sitting in a warehouse in LA, then this morning when I checked it was posted as in San Diego and out for delivery. Woo-Hoo (doing the Meepos dance of joy). Can't wait to get home tonight. Boy, this is going to be a long day.

-ub52

GatorNic
08-30-2004, 06:11 PM
woohoo! just got my shipping confirmation today. very excited to dig into those dvds.

KillMe
08-30-2004, 07:19 PM
no idea what # i am but add me to the list

ordered on the 18th not been sent my shipping confirmation yet - anyone know what SAP created means on order status page?

using lightwave 8 at the mo and will most likely continue to do so for the foreseable future - but wanted to add xsi to my tool kit aswell

before lightwave 7 i was using truespace (weird app) and blender in the dim and distant past

Sil3
08-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Just received an email from my reseler telling me that he just put XSI Foundations package on the mail office and i should get it tomorrow or so :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

08-30-2004, 09:24 PM
I ordered on 19th but still didn't get any shipping email and wonder to know what the SAp is. Me too, need to add XSI to Lightwave 8 in order to use mainly for character animation while LW can do a goo background.

Graphstein
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I am new Softimage Foundation user. Come from Truespace 6.6. Added Softimage to my collection. I'm a friend of NURBS modelling, so i also use SolidThinking Forma 5.5 .

Ordered on 12th Aug. Since more than 8 days the status is "SAP created". No shipping yet. I don't have wait longer and ordered in the meantime the "Experience XSI 4" book and received it from Amazon after 2 days. Seems that is a nice Tutorial for beginners.

Galathron
09-02-2004, 10:47 PM
I ordered XSI Advanced 4.0 Academic on July 27th through JourneyEd and I'm still waiting to receive it. The order was forwarded to Softimage on August 9th and the status changed to shipped on th 18th. However it did not ship. I just talked to them today, and they said it was OOS all this time. (Having no response for over a week to my emails or phone calls.) It is suppose to ship today. In hindsight, I should have ordered directly from Softimage and probably would have beaten all the delays from the increased number of Foundation sales. (However, now I know for sure that will be receiving the Production Series DVDs.)

Magicmike
09-15-2004, 02:33 AM
I must be 26 then.

I have been a Maya, Lightwave & 3DS user. and have always been impressed by XSI.
Price is what had kept me away though.

I have a 11 year old nephew that has wanted to start learning modeling but found all the other packages confusing. I showed him XSI and he picked it up real quick, alredy made an arrow and target. I'm teaching him how to texture and animate it..

I picked up a copy for myself, and if he keeps working at XSI I may buy him a copy for christmas

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.