PDA

View Full Version : an artists value

AlexK
08-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

I hope this topic isn't inappropriate and if so Wegg or mg3d please feel free to remove it.

As some of you know I am still a student. But this situation lasts only till end of August. I was planning to freelance together with a friend of mine and we were thinking about our price lately. You know what to charge for an hourly rate. Of course it depends if it is a compositing, 3D or maybe 2D painting job. We also looked at some price lists of companies in our region (Germany) and what they charge.

Our problem is that we know what the big ones charge, but I don't think that we could charge the same (150,- per our for a Maya machine plus artist for example) with us being newbies and only two guys. But on the other hand we don't want to ruin our market value with a price that's too low. Well, now we are a bit clueless what to do. So I thought I'd ask my favourite Messiah community. :)

fwtep
08-20-2004, 06:27 PM
I can't be of any help on an actual price, but I want to say that you are absolutely right about not wanting to price yourselves too low. If you underbid by too much you'll be screwing yourself-- you won't be taken seriously, and if you do get the work, you'll never get a better rate from that producer in the future. In fact, that producer will try to hire you for *less*. He'll say, "you did that other project for that much, but this is an easier (or smaller) project." And of course it WON'T be easier or smaller except in his untrained eyes.

LOTS of effects facilities have gone out of business quickly by bidding too low. Don't do it.

Now that I think of it, you say you are just finishing up school. I'd recommend that you get some experience at an existing effects facility before going off on your own. There's a lot more to animation and effects than being talented and knowing the software. A LOT. Doing the 3D is the easy part, trust me.

Fred

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.