PDA

View Full Version : Real Price of XSI Foundation in the UK?

greydef
08-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Has anybody in the UK bought the special Foundation package? If so, how much did it come to including tax & duties?

A price of £300 started off well then grew to 365 with tax, if Ihave to pay 10-17%(a guess at the figures) in duties £400-£420 is a little less appealing. I had expected Softimage to have a EU office & the price would a straight-up price much like my purchase of Lightwave...:shrug:

ghopper
08-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Has anybody in the UK bought the special Foundation package? If so, how much did it come to including tax & duties?

A price of £300 started off well then grew to 365 with tax, if Ihave to pay 10-17%(a guess at the figures) in duties £400-£420 is a little less appealing. I had expected Softimage to have a EU office & the price would a straight-up price much like my purchase of Lightwave...:shrug:

Contact a XSI reseller in your country and see how much they can sell it you for.

Signal2Noise
08-20-2004, 04:00 PM
In Canada, the price of XSI is somewhat higher, too. It turned out to be $565US + tax + shipping! About $70 US more than the advertised price.

But, it's still a good deal. What was the UK price of Foundation before the price drop? £1100?
So £1100 - £420 is still a £680 difference. Sounds like a splendid deal to me. :shrug:

Remember that only two weeks ago XSI was still out of reach of most CG'ers. Now it can be in your hands. It becomes a reality! Quit complaining and buy it!;)

greydef
08-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Signal to Noise, of course you're right I just have to buy it at that price.

Good call grasshopper, one of the UK retailers can do it at £300 + VAT 17.5% = £350.

Just gotta find time watch all those DVDs:D

jorgevaldes
08-20-2004, 05:02 PM
I paid the $495 plus $46 for the shipping to mexico city. I really hope I don´t have to pay import duties.
The local Avid dealer sent me a quote for $715 plus 15% tax (sort of like VAT) but after an email telling him his price was too high he agreed to sell it to me for $580 USD, but it had a 30 day waiting period, so I bought it off the Softimage website instead.

flingster
08-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Signal to Noise, of course you're right I just have to buy it at that price.

Good call grasshopper, one of the UK retailers can do it at £300 + VAT 17.5% = £350.

Just gotta find time watch all those DVDs:D
which reseller did you use btw?
thanks.

MattClary
08-23-2004, 04:14 PM
You guys should try having a revolution, it worked pretty good for us. ;)

greydef
08-23-2004, 04:24 PM
which reseller did you use btw?
thanks. I used (I haven't confirmed the order just yet...) a reseller in Preston, details below.

ERA (http://www.softimage.com/corporate/sales/buy/redirect.htm?id=820)
Hundred End House
Hundred End Lane
Preston LAN PR4 6XL
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 1772 814888 Fax: +44 1772 815888

There is another retailer in London, but they seemed unaware of the offer:eek:

Hey Matt are going to change your tattoo or just get another one? I'm just gonna send an e-mail to confirm my order now.:bounce:

flingster
08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I used (I haven't confirmed the order just yet...) a reseller in Preston, details below.

ERA (http://www.softimage.com/corporate/sales/buy/redirect.htm?id=820)
Hundred End House
Hundred End Lane
Preston LAN PR4 6XL
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 1772 814888 Fax: +44 1772 815888

There is another retailer in London, but they seemed unaware of the offer:eek:

Hey Matt are going to change your tattoo or just get another one? I'm just gonna send an e-mail to confirm my order now.:bounce:
thanks for this...:thumbsup:

as to earlier comment on revolution...its still a wip afaik! heh heh.
:twisted:

ThE_JacO
08-23-2004, 05:19 PM
for London/UK you can call XTFX
020 7343 5508

they do sell by the rules and are official.

MKIII
08-23-2004, 05:35 PM
I just ordered a copy from XTFX Ltd (An official reseller in London) mailto:colette@xtfx.co.uk (colette@xtfx.co.uk)

They charged:

XSI Foundation windows v4.0 @ £299
XSI DVD Bundle: Softimage Production Series 1 to 5 (free of charge until
notified)
Delivery overnight @ £20
Sub Total £319.00
Total Including VAT £374.82

The only variable there is the £20 for O'night delivery. They deal with customs duty etc. The customer does not need to pay any more.

All I have to do now is wait for the bundle to arrive..... or more likely, the 'Sorry you were out...' postcard :)

coryc
08-23-2004, 05:48 PM
All I have to do now is wait for the bundle to arrive..... or more likely, the 'Sorry you were out...' postcard :)
Sorry for being off-topic but I was wondering if the postmen are as bad in the UK as they are here about this....sneaking up to your porch in a ghilli suit, tapping once lightly, and out the driveway before you ever make it to the door?

MKIII
08-23-2004, 06:08 PM
In a word.... Yes.

manghole
08-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Cory, with your gun laws I'd be a very very careful mailman as well :D

greydef
08-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Sorry for being off-topic but I was wondering if the postmen are as bad in the UK as they are here about this....sneaking up to your porch in a ghilli suit, tapping once lightly, and out the driveway before you ever make it to the door?
They certainly are. Just today my housemate had a delivery from Portland via airmail. Instead of ringing the bell, he put it behind the unlocked front door. Dunno how he did it - I was working in my room overlooking the driveway. Must have been using some kind of thermoptic camouflage,:shrug: I might try and get some kind of pressure pad system installed for XSI delivery...:D

coryc
08-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Our postmen are usually the ones doing the shooting.

flingster
08-23-2004, 07:22 PM
They certainly are. Just today my housemate had a delivery from Portland via airmail. Instead of ringing the bell, he put it behind the unlocked front door. Dunno how he did it - I was working in my room overlooking the driveway. Must have been using some kind of thermoptic camouflage,:shrug: I might try and get some kind of pressure pad system installed for XSI delivery...:D
to much...i have visions of your postman kitted out in the latest military camouflage gear...crawling up the drive to deliver XSI...call it stealth delivery a new feature most people have to pay extra for this...but for you...its free! heh heh ...:eek:

akiratoo
08-28-2004, 03:03 PM
I think post men train from the same ninja school then get sent out into the world.

Back to the original theme for this post, I bought my XSI from softimage online and paid £365.18 including tax and delivery ( of course I am still waiting for the delivery )

jasonfox
08-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Same here akiratoo !

When did you order your copy ? I placed my order on the 8th August, and still it hasn't shipped !

I've chased them once so far, and they did change the status on my order page, but a week later and still nothing :(

akiratoo
08-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi Jason

I have not been waiting as long as you I only ordered mine on the 23rd of August. I only wish that they could put someting on the site to say that the delivery would take upto x number of days (weeks, months, years )

Personne
08-29-2004, 03:21 PM
I paid the $495 plus $46 for the shipping to mexico city. I really hope I don´t have to pay import duties.
The local Avid dealer sent me a quote for $715 plus 15% tax (sort of like VAT) but after an email telling him his price was too high he agreed to sell it to me for $580 USD, but it had a 30 day waiting period, so I bought it off the Softimage website instead.I don't undestand why Softimage sell XSI $495.00 to mexican and $565.00 to canadian, I know $565.00 is still a good deal but it look like discrimination.

greydef
08-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I don't undestand why Softimage sell XSI $495.00 to mexican and $565.00 to canadian, I know $565.00 is still a good deal but it look like discrimination.
I guess it's down to the different levels of tax applicable locally. It seems that perhaps because Softimage are Canadian (I think that's the case) then anyone in Canada has to pay the applicable Canadian taxes, which seems to work out more, while everyone outside North America pays the American tax & then waits to see if their own government takes their cut in customs charges.

It's been a while since I've been to Canada, but I think I recall some for sort of double goods tax - didn't bother me at the time as things were so more cheaper anyway.:D

Qexit
08-29-2004, 10:12 PM
You guys should try having a revolution, it worked pretty good for us.You may not be aware but this has already been tried on at least two previous occasions on record. Oliver Cromwell succeeded in removing the monarchy from power and becoming Lord Protector of England back in the mid-17th Century...though I think he went a bit too far by abolishing Christmas. Earlier that same century, another group had a go at blowing up the Houses of Parliament with all the politicians inside it. This failed and we celebrate this fact every year by burning an effigy of Guy Falkes, the best known of the conspirators, on bonfires on November 5th. I think he was actually hung, drawn and quartered for his part in the plot.

Qexit
08-29-2004, 10:19 PM
BTW, I got my Educational License of XSi 4.0 Advanced through Richard McGuinness of ERA. Very approachable person, easy to deal with and actually sounds like he knows what he's talking about :)

P.S. In my area, the posties are pretty good when it comes to delivering mail. Mine used to delight on getting me out of bed at before 7.00 am to deliver anything that needed signing for or wouldn't fit through the letterbox. He would always wait. The people who are really adept at not being seen in the UK are the ones who come to read the Gas and Electric meters. They teach their stealth techniques to the SAS....never mind going there to learn :)

greydef
09-01-2004, 11:52 AM
BTW, I got my Educational License of XSi 4.0 Advanced through Richard McGuinness of ERA. Very approachable person, easy to deal with and actually sounds like he knows what he's talking about
Yep seems like a good guy, but I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive...:sad:

Chedri
09-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I ordered Aug 13 via the web site and the status said pending until I emailed them after a couple of weeks. They replied by changing the status to SAP something, but it still haven't shipped.

I am not too happy about them charging my credit card at once, then not shipping for several weeks... Guess I will have to contact them again *sigh*

hunimator
09-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Mine is shipping as we speak (ordered on the 15th of August from the Soft store)! I've payed £365 with normal delivery, guess it will take a couple of days more before it arrives.
BTW, all UK orders are shipping from Dublin (Ireland) which should mean, no Import fee charges, as it's sipping within the EU! So I'd expect the price to remain 365 pounds!

jasonfox
09-02-2004, 03:08 PM
My copy of XSI turned up this morning ! :bounce:

I ordered online, and didn't have to hand over any extra money to the UPS man, so as suspected, because the software is shipped from within the EU (Ireland) there are no extra duties to pay.

Right, just gotta find some time to watch all the training DVDs :D

greydef
09-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Just got my copy today! The courier even rang the bell!:D

TapioKa
09-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I just received my copy today (sept 3rd) after ordering it August 16th. I think they underestimated the amound of sales, as the delay was at SI's warehouse.

I too am peeved about the extra $65 US for Canadian customers. Worst part is, Sales@softimage.com could not tell me why it's cheaper in the US. $495 US is $495 US, changing for other countries more is a discriminatory practice, unless it's a localized (language support related) product. Discreet is notoriously bad about this it seems. Taxes + shipping are extra not included. I don't care paying a little more, but that is misleading customers.

Regardless, I commend Softimage for taking such bold steps in pricing. But I think the reality more has to do with market share, as good as XSI is, I'm sure their userbase was quite small until now. Prohibitive cost was probably hurting them more than helping.

I'm hoping that an expanded user base will help bring more tools and scripts. From what I've played with, it's powerful software.

deanbutton
09-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Hi guys. Reading a couple of threads here. Seems that XSI is coming from Dublin, like for the UK or near. My copy was sent out on the 27th august. I'm still waiting for it, even though i live in the North west of Ireland ! It funny really, (well you have to laugh these days). The courier must think i live in the middle of nowwhere. :) They only delivery once a week, by the looks of it.... Also, cost me 568 euros (incl 25 euros delivery).

Reminds me of a couple of years ago. When i went to buy windows 2000, in town. The woman in the shop said, you'll have to wait for a couple of days. While it arrives from the UK !? I thought, but isn't Microsoft stationed in Ireland. I can't believe i got an exported, imported copy and was at an ok price.... :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.