PDA

View Full Version : Question about videocard ram

Ints99
08-20-2004, 11:30 AM
I got a geforce 4 mx 440 and in bios it says it has got 128mb ram.
If you have/had this card did you have the same amount of ram in bios shown?
In windows it says i still have 64mb ram.
Is the bios info correct and if it is do i have a better card?
I am asking because all the others mx 4xx cards i have seen have 64 mb ram and if i remeber correctly 128 mb ram starts from mx 4000 cards.
If you got any ideas about what should i do etc i would be happy to hear them.
I just installed rivatuner and it shows that i have 128-bit AGP NV17 (A5) with 128 MB DDR memory videocard.Are other geforce mx 440 series cards also 128 MB DDR?

stephen2002
08-20-2004, 11:19 PM
In the BIOS are you looking at the AGP aperature size or the actual specs that flash up for a few seconds as the graphics card BIOS loads before the computer BIOS starts?The AGP aperature size is not an indication on how much RAM your graphics card has on-board, it tells the computer how much system RAM will be made avalable to your card once the on-board memory is used up.

Ints99
08-21-2004, 08:41 AM
I am looking at the actual specs.
It appears that i got a 128 mb geforce 4 mx.
Are there any specific drivers for my cards or should i just use the nvidi original drivers.
And yesterday i soft-moded the card i got a 128 mb 128 bit 8xAGP guadro4 550 XGL is that good or should i get something better?
That is wierd that before soft-modding windows showed that i got a 64 mb video card and in rivaturner/aida/sandra showed that i have a 128 mb card and now windows also shows me that i got a 128 mb card.

vizion
08-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Well, I think any way you look at it, it's still not a good card for any 3d or graphic work in general. You'd be much better off buying a gforce and modding that if you'd like. Ideally however, you should just buy a qaudro series one, and forget everything else.

Ints99
08-21-2004, 10:37 AM
My videocard is ok for now i think.
I was thinking about buying more ram because i got only 256 mb now.
Is kingston ram good and how much more should i buy ram.

GregHess
08-21-2004, 02:32 PM
What problem are you trying to work on? Is your video performance slow? Is your computer slow? Do your renders take weeks per frame?

Generally video card ram has little or no effect on overall video performance, except in those situations which are extremely texture intensive (Aka doom3). Generally most viewport manipulations are limited by a car's rough ability to chuck polygons around, which is more a determining factor of the actual GPU on the video card, not its type or amount of ram.

Of course video card ram still has an overall bearing on the card's performance...I just think people tend to get too caught up in the amount of ram things have. More isn't necessarily better. If your not using it, its just wasted space/money.

As for system ram, generally a minimum of 512 megs is recommended. You can easily get by with 256 megs however...it just requires careful optimization of the operating system, and optimization of the scene/render your working on. If you could give some more specifics on the problem your trying to solve, it would help formulate the answer.

Quick highlights.

1) Render performance is primarily CPU based. (Unless a dedicated hardware solution is used)
2) Viewport interactivity (modeling/animating) is primarily GPU based (video card processor)
3) Adding more ram does not increase performance. It merely restores performance that was lost due to running out of ram.
4) Optimizing a scene/render is a far more valuable/time saving upgrade, then any cpu/video/memory/hardware purchase.

Ints99
08-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Here's the problem:
I am modeling in nurms subdivision.
When the model gets more advanced the viewport movement gets choppy.
Right now i am modeling with 1 iterations i started with 3.
At the start everything was ok at 3 and then when i completed the head viewport movement got choppy and the ram usage rised a lot.
And when i Run max ram usage increase to 90 % when start modeling it gets to 98 % and if it gets to 99+ max crashes.

GregHess
08-21-2004, 04:00 PM
In that case it definitely sounds like a good case to purchase more system ram.

Check
http://www.crucial.com
and
http://www.mushkin.com

Both are highly regarded namebrand dimm's with warranty's and good pricing.

Ints99
08-21-2004, 04:27 PM
With all the shipping fee's and international bank transfer i have to pay 50$ more so i think those two are out of the option.
Here are the current ram manufacturers that i can get from my country:
Adata
Apacer
Chronos
Corsair
Hynix
IBM
Kingston
no name
PQI
Ramos
Spectek
TwinMOS
Viking
Thanks for the current help too.

GregHess
08-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Corsair is a very good memory manufacturer. You can also try kingston after that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.