PDA

View Full Version : Running Death, Jean-sébastien Rolhion (3D)

rolhionjs
08-19-2004, 11:51 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/2092/2092_1092959491_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/2092/2092_1092959491.jpg)

Title: Running Death
Name: Jean-sébastien Rolhion
Software: Zbrush 2 - Wings3d

A personnal project inspired by the Machine flesh challenge i never had time to finish...

I started this one from a wings3D mesh, and then imported it under zbrush to add details, colors, lights, and to finally render under Zbrush.

I choosed the black and white version to give this cold feeling of the subject : futuristic death running back... in the dark

ThE_JacO
08-20-2004, 12:04 AM
as usual plugging something that seems mostly shaded is hard judgment, but this was too good to be let it go by.

-plugged-

Apollux
08-20-2004, 12:05 AM
:eek: *speechless*

seppomatik
08-20-2004, 12:06 AM
there still seems to be a gap between the machines and the flesh. i dont really know how to say it.

anyway, i like it!

lulaassassina
08-20-2004, 12:07 AM
My respect to you.

Great mood, perfect execution. BRAVO!
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Clanger
08-20-2004, 12:08 AM
This could have been a contender for a high placement in the Machine Flesh Challenge, such a pity it wasn't finished in time.

skillet
08-20-2004, 12:09 AM
two words

Cold Blooded .

I love everything about it !!!

andrewley
08-20-2004, 12:10 AM
so...much...detail...

Think its time I bought z brush

Only thing that bothers be is his right hand and wrist. They lack the same level of detail.

Incredible work

Blazer
08-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Am I the only one getting a little tired of bumpy displaced ZBrush 2 models? It's taking on the feel of the grey, soft shadowed/ambient occluded mesh on endless white ground ....

That said, Cool model, I think the machine part of way cooler than the Zbrush usage, and the only crit would really be some on the anatomy (arms/elbows to be more specific).

SGT.Squeaks
08-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Awesome work! do you by chance have a screenshot of the wings wireframe before it was exported? I would love to see that.:thumbsup:

pnoland
08-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Am I the only one getting a little tired of bumpy displaced ZBrush 2 models? It's taking on the feel of the grey, soft shadowed/ambient occluded mesh on endless white ground .... Yep! :) The Z2 renderer is capable of doing some awesome work that doesn't have the AO/Soft look to it but if you're a modeler and you just want to show off your skills then it's an awesome FAST renderer. Strike, that's an amazing piece of work! You're Zbrush work is just outstanding.

pnoland

Mirandinha
08-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Your best to date, IMO. Why isn't this on ZBCentral yet?? Simply amazing! If you don't bother, I think I'm gonna use it as my desktop wallpaper! Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

jdsb
08-20-2004, 12:34 AM
3 words...
GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY , STRIKE!!!!!! :argh:

vlad74
08-20-2004, 12:37 AM
You rock Strike.:applause:

gjpetch
08-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Damned cool work.

Am I the only one getting a little tired of bumpy displaced ZBrush 2 models?
Hmm, I'm a little tired of comments like this, but not yet tired of detailed modeling, if it's detailed well, as it is here.

jdsb
08-20-2004, 12:39 AM
werd to that,how the hell can somebody be tired of .....this .....!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

flingster
08-20-2004, 12:45 AM
personally i think the B/W works...it starts to take on photographic qualities and works with the subject matter imo.

slackjaw10
08-20-2004, 12:52 AM
I think Blazer has a point. Yes, I have seen many amazing models from ZBrush users, but they DO have that odd bumpy quality to them that's very recognizable. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm getting tired of them, though.

On the actual topic, this is great no matter what software was used. Talent is talent, and you've got a lot of it. There looks to be some aliasing, though.

popol
08-20-2004, 01:00 AM
tout bonnement genial :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

LE design est Digne des plus grande BD de SF

murtle
08-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Awesome work :thumbsup:

:joke mood: I think it's running back for maintenance to get wires inside. :]

eddgarpv
08-20-2004, 01:17 AM
wow... really cool !

:thumbsup:

Levitateme
08-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Can we see some of your wires or viewport shots of the wings3d model?im curious as to how you sculpted all them objects...they were not all one mesh were they? im interested in knowing how you did this. btw it goes without saying incredibel mesh, if that was textured...wow very neat idea that death face idea i really like your idea.

bentllama
08-20-2004, 01:20 AM
as usual plugging something that seems mostly shaded is hard judgment, but this was too good to be let it go by.

-plugged-
good modeling speaks for itself. it should not matter whether it is shaded or not...plug good work.

artkast
08-20-2004, 01:20 AM
You have really good skills in ZBrush, nice concept. This is hanging on my computer's wall.

-artkast

-[o.()]-

Blazer
08-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Sorry, but I stand my critique guys. Some of us will be fanboys, and some of us will try to give constructive criticism. All I ask is that fanboys stick to their "awsome!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: " comments and don't dismise the criticism off the bat.

Infinity3d4life
08-20-2004, 01:21 AM
HOLY Jezzzzzzzzz us.. That is just incredible work... No crits here.. just high 5's and praises...

jdsb
08-20-2004, 01:39 AM
crits: would love to see MORE detail :rolleyes: :D

ThE_JacO
08-20-2004, 01:43 AM
Am I the only one getting a little tired of bumpy displaced ZBrush 2 models? It's taking on the feel of the grey, soft shadowed/ambient occluded mesh on endless white ground ....

That said, Cool model, I think the machine part of way cooler than the Zbrush usage, and the only crit would really be some on the anatomy (arms/elbows to be more specific). no, you are not the only one, but sometimes it's just overdone and pointless, some other times it fits perfectly the subject.

unlike traditional mediums we are still limited big time by technology, so some things can only be done after a tool or a feature gets to the market, and there's obviously an outburst of imagery involving that technique at the beginning.

only 5 years ago almost every character in galleries was bald and shaven or had anime style hair, now flowing hair is accessible to everybody.

Zbrush put on the map the microdetail only 3 years ago took PRMan (the only engine around with subpixel displacment and adaptive subdivision surfaces at the times) and excellent and painstakingly painted displacment maps.

in this case the subject, machine and flesh, is one that artists have represented since at least 30 years in other mediums, but that looked always sort of cheesy in 3D, Zbrush simply happened to make strike's life easier.
I'm a bit tired of speed modeling trolls made only to test the new toy, but this is clearly a full fledged picture with thought put into all the elements.

tibes
08-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Sorry, but I stand my critique guys. Some of us will be fanboys, and some of us will try to give constructive criticism. All I ask is that fanboys stick to their "awsome!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: " comments and don't dismise the criticism off the bat. weren't you just criticising zbrush? I didn't see anything in your post that seemed to be in relation to this particular piece of work.

IMO this is stunning work, and is actually starting to get away from the initial look of zbrush stuff, and just become really detailed modelling. :thumbsup:

SevenString
08-20-2004, 01:51 AM
wow... this is something else! nice work!

Only thing that bothers me is his right hand and wrist.
hah! that must be deliberate, to reflect the way that the artist's OWN right hand and wrist must be bothering him after creating this. ;)

Blazer
08-20-2004, 01:56 AM
weren't you just criticising zbrush? I didn't see anything in your post that seemed to be in relation to this particular piece of work.

IMO this is stunning work, and is actually starting to get away from the initial look of zbrush stuff, and just become really detailed modelling. :thumbsup:ds

Sigh.... as stated by ME:

That said, Cool model, I think the machine part of way cooler than the Zbrush usage, and the only crit would really be some on the anatomy (arms/elbows to be more specific).

Part one refers to ZBrush and the "bumpy" nature of some of the detailing. Part two refers to the impressive quality of the machine part, and some lacking in the anatomy. I think I was commenting on this. I appologize :shrug:

BruceSouza
08-20-2004, 02:05 AM
No comments about it.
The concept is just PERFECT !!

Scorched.Phoeni)(
08-20-2004, 02:08 AM
wow... this is just incredible! The skeletal structure, the flesh, and the machinery all seem to 'mesh' so perfectly! (no pun intended) lol :D Great work man.

creative destructions
08-20-2004, 02:15 AM
I like it.

moviejunkie101
08-20-2004, 02:31 AM
i need to learn zbrush... Nice work!

Mata Tango
08-20-2004, 02:32 AM
Looks great!

My only concern is that the machinery on the characters back does not look flexible enough. Though I understand this is just a still image, it would be hard for me to see this character properly animated.

Great detail though, :thumbsup:

malcolmvexxed
08-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Damned cool work.

Hmm, I'm a little tired of comments like this, but not yet tired of detailed modeling, if it's detailed well, as it is here.
you're tired of differing opinions? Message boards might not be the place for you.

I like the piece but similar to the way flesh skin and bones work together in texture and weight to form a body, machinery needs to do the same imo. The machinery on his body doesn't seem "naturally" grouped together if that makes sense; most notably in his upper leg piece. The gear inside of his hip for instance seems more of a form following function area then the areas on his back seem thrown together. great work on the skin texture

onlooker
08-20-2004, 03:17 AM
I'd like to see the wire of that wings model before it was brought into zbrush also.

I get tired of people knocking ZB. I think it's great stuff. :thumbsup:

Awesome work. I definitely would have given this a vote in the Machine flesh challenge.

ThE_JacO
08-20-2004, 03:29 AM
I am going to do what I know will piss off all the newbs and mods here and give you an honest critique and some freindly advice. I'm sure theyll ban me or something for it. But oh well, someone has to say it. you are under 5 posts, it means your posts need to be approved before they reach the forum.
if mods didn't want you to express your opinion we could just have prevented your post from appearing in first place.

also mods are at the first line in the fight against meaningless fanboyism, so where did you get the idea that we are some nazi army only approving happy thoughts and ban whoever disagrees?

please people this is getting really daunting.
we aren't paid, sponsored or get any kind of advantages like a mods card with discounts in all top GCshops.
having people taking a bash at us every odd day, and at how the forum is run every even, without the least clue about what we actually approve/block, doesn't really help us much.

now, this is a gallery thread.

give critiques ON THE PIECE and provide info to help the artistical side.
your thoughst about the tools that were used during the execution are irrelevant outside of application specific forums (unless you can immediately recognize they were misued from a technical point of view and provide corrective steps, but this wasn't the case).
pretty please with a cherry on top?

I'm tired, really tired, of extinguishing flames.

mvunderground
08-20-2004, 03:40 AM
:eek: OMG ........ uhhhhhhh speechless !!!! Awsome work :thumbsup:

Ollarin
08-20-2004, 04:04 AM
Simple awesome!!

And yay! Wings 3D was used! *Laughs*The Wings3d world domination plan is underway! :D

Antropus
08-20-2004, 05:10 AM
Hi Strike,

again an AWESOME work, my friend. You are making a great use of this new tool.
And of course, I'm never tired to see beautiful works like this. Traditional oil paintings that some great artists did are some hundreds of years older than the new CG tools and I still enjoy to see :)

Cya,
Kris

the_zed_axis
08-20-2004, 05:22 AM
good modeling speaks for itself. it should not matter whether it is shaded or not...plug good work.

nicely put bentlama

good work strike i have seen a lot of your and you really nail it(the bw image comes out to be a lot stronger then what it would if it was in colour)

yeah i think that zbrush work can be a bit too evident with all those bumps (i guess thats the first thing you do/learn in zbrush)can get a bit repetitive

Kalasfixaren
08-20-2004, 05:41 AM
Very nice! err crits... well... It's not much of a crit but I think his face looks silly, like he's wearing a mask or something. What else... His leg is a bit overlit or something

awesome work anyways :)

And whiner dude TheReturn: Have you ever used Zbrush? seriously? I used to think that a 3 year old kid could do like professional quality work with Zbrush in a heartbeat, but it's actually kinda hard I think ^^

All Zbrush models do have a very generic feel though I have to say, but still that could be fixed with some textures and proper rendering, right?

shortbuss
08-20-2004, 05:43 AM
Overall I love the composition and the amount of detail you managed to inject into this model. I would also like to request a wings3d wireframe or something to see how you managed to start this project.

I don't want to be too harsh or seem as though I'm being too critical, because you truely are incredibly talented, and I've yet to complete a model as detailed as this. That being said, I am surprised to find myself unhappy with a few areas. One thing that really bugs me is that the detail is not used effectively through-out the entire model. For example the figure's left leg, and the joint it creates with the mechanical hip area. I feel this is unfinished or non-functional for some reason. Overall, I simply feel the detail needs to be toned down in flesh/skin areas to lose that Z-Brush, bumpy look; while other areas should be detailed further.

Well look at the attached image if you want, because it's just easier that way :)

Incredible work Strike, and I envy your talent bro!

ESB

http://eric.moonpixel.com/storage/sebastion_critique.jpg

dassbaba
08-20-2004, 06:02 AM
that is the coolest shit ever
so warhammer 40,000

check out warhammer 40,000 art, they'd like hire you for that thing you just made... just wow...

redkid one
08-20-2004, 06:04 AM
yeah, I agree with shortbuss about the "nose", seems a bit like a pretty, perfectly-formed nose stuck in the middle of an excellently grotesque face... On the flipside, I love the puckering scar tissue around his elbow - seems to me that would be a natural flesh/machine transition. Maybe another crit - I think the whole pose might be more dynamic if the right arm wasn't so square-on to the camera, more angled away. Then it wouldn't look like a static right angle, if you get my meaning....

otherwise, that's a mighty impressive piece of (twisted) work :thumbsup:

phoenix
08-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Nice work...

extremely good...

Dave Anderson
08-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Awesome work :thumbsup:
wish i knew how to use Zbrush ... :banghead:

Zenitor
08-20-2004, 06:46 AM
imho, starting at the left side we have almost healthy flesh, hand wrist then as the image progresses the flesh becomes corrupted/decayed and is replaced/augmented with machinery...

the healthy flesh is less narled/bumpy/diseased so less detailed...

I too would like to see at what stage wings ends and zbrush is applied, how complex is the base model? :)

Time to check out Strikers Home page for some clues :)

shortbuss
08-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Damn good point Zenitor, and I didn't view it that way until you mentioned it. I still feel the joint is weird where I circled it, but without viewing the model from a different angle it's sort of hard to tell for sure. That's why we all need to see different views, different renders and I still gotta get a peep at that wireframe ;) Still awesome friggin' modeling Jean!

DUCKORABB
08-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Hmmm, very strange anatomic aberration, it doesn't exactly look like the things i like most, but, you surely spent a lot of time on it, very much work!
And however, this is looks really great!

Sorry for my terrible english language.

Best regards for all 3d bros!

DCKBB

baby
08-20-2004, 07:16 AM
strikes again :)))

rolhionjs
08-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks alot all for your constructive opinions and critics.
For the nose, i can just say it was volounteer to show it under the bone skull, because i wanted to show the negative, or inverse (don't know the word) contrast, and the impossibility of a this thing in real life. Death is a unknown concept, even if many artists tries to symbolize it, and for me, the skull incrusted in a flesh face was just my own vision of this concept : mix between life and death, mechanical and human. Well... we could argue alot about this, but nevermind ;)

I agree about the enormous anatomy mistakes, but as for the nose, it was also to add on the different impossible real life concept. That's the point of many images : being able to create the unreal i think.

For information, i spent one day on this image. I used unified skin from zpheres under Zbrush2 to create the body, and then under wings3D i created the mechanical parts below. Then imported it under Zbrush2 to create a multimarker object (i'll show different views as soon i'm back home).

Zbrush2 is great for creating really quickly base mesh of a body for example, and then add details to a whole mesh.

http://www.designpicture.com/wire01.jpg

And here is a color test i did, but i finally dumped it, because i thought black and white perfectly fits to the concept :

http://www.designpicture.com/runner.jpg

I will not post a wire of the body because of its high density (6 Millions polys), but i'll show soon different shaded views.

Thanks alot all ! :)

Obi-one
08-20-2004, 07:46 AM
awesome work :eek: great details.

Sad that there's so mush aliazing on the colored render.

I'll have to try ZB.

ja3d
08-20-2004, 08:13 AM
:eek: BEAUTIFULL :eek: REALLY LIKE THE MODELING AN TEXTURING!!!!!!!!!

xavier-marquis
08-20-2004, 08:24 AM
cul par terre

Bravo

Versiden
08-20-2004, 08:42 AM
heya, excellent piece - WOW.. impressive stuff.

I followed your thread in the machineflesh, sad to see that it wasn't finished. I was amazed how it progressed so quickly in a few hours!

As for the zbrush flaming - I don't know what people are complaining about, personally I think it's is NOT the tool that makes the artist.

techart
08-20-2004, 08:53 AM
man that's awesome concept...hell of the making.....the grays are gorgeus on this....
the compositing between body and mechanics are just awesome.....didn't see such good style from a while...cheers

DimitrisLiatsos
08-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Hey STRIKE ...i really don't mind so much for anatomy mistakes and stuff that some say here, also i don't really find something hard to crit....What i do find is an excellent image...cograts.

How u worked to make a Mulrimarker object when u were working in ZBrush...??? I am really interested on this.!!!!

:bounce: :bounce:

Geta-Ve
08-20-2004, 09:41 AM
one day?! thats crazy fast... unfortunatly im with the crowd that is bored of zbrush... however thats not to say that your work isnt good, because in all respects it is, theres really no denying it lol

but for me, and flame me if ya want, zbrush seems like a cheat... maybe thats cuz i dont know how to use it, who knows.. but its just really a personal feeling :p however i really do see the need and use for a program like zbrush.

that being said, the one day thing kinda upsets me because just inforces to myself that zbrush is a cheat... :( oh well like i also said good work is good work and theres no denying that THIS is good... er scratch that.. GREAT work!

Cheers and dont worry about my jibberish im just blabbering away :p use whatever your comfertable with and whatever gets the job done eh.. :D

Ciao!

kmest
08-20-2004, 09:45 AM
good model and nice concept.it gives some sence.

but i think the machines part into the body,specialy the ones in the legs,are not going to work in real life(mechanicaly).
but again,NICE WORK. :thumbsup:

StephD
08-20-2004, 10:10 AM
ouch ! :scream:

excellent concept
c'est clair que j'aurais voté pour toi si tu l'avais postée avant la deadline

Pony
08-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Great stuff. Shows a lot of what is posible. I like the nose idea. Something else I noticed was the lack of ears. Rather intended or not its kind of a brilant idea, silences the sean. Makes it more scarry. I have no crits on the body eather. Its so mangled up there is no real telling what is a mess up or mangled flesh, so to me your the only one that knows if you reached your vision.

One crit I do have. Becouse a idea and image like this diserves a good foundation. The round part at the hips.. some of the other metal or mechanical parts are just sticking through it. Besides mechanicly not working well that distracts from a really wonderfull peace of art.

xjgd4321
08-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Wow man this is incredible!very good modeling and the details are awesome.
:eek:

richardvacheresse
08-20-2004, 11:29 AM
simply amazing, the detail is incredible:buttrock:

yexiongbj
08-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Set up the mold level very severely!!!!

WQP
08-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Great stuff! Looks like a Remade from The Scar or something :)

harry riyait
08-20-2004, 01:03 PM
nice mode, very, very nice.

but (my personal opinion) it's a little boring. some colour would make it really special. just looks too muchlike a 3d model with all the grey. love to see some texture ad colour.

but, great modelling man.

respect.

PeterSanitra
08-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Do you have a texture on it?, or is it just and postproduction on canvas after render...

rolhionjs
08-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks alot all ! :) I really appreciate your feedbacks !

Yes i have an Uv texture on it. In fact, under Zbrush2, i used a skin shader, and then added only textures stuff on some parts (neck, arms, etc...), the result gives the color version, but i wanted something darker, so that's why i switched to black and white by desaturating the image.

ambas
08-20-2004, 01:37 PM
thats. really. good.

superlayer
08-20-2004, 01:50 PM
:eek: WOW.
Thats dead good..
Look at the detail of that thing!!!

I should definitely give zbrush a try in the near future.

cgg
08-20-2004, 01:57 PM
as always fantastic work , amazing modeling and concept skills :applause:

TheWraith
08-20-2004, 03:00 PM
good to see you back strike, i was one of the people sad to see you gone for so long. great model.

vfx
08-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Holy Jeez! As a fellow artist - I can only hope to one day match that amount of detail - Zbrush really does seem to be producing some of the best models - obviously its technique is fast and good! Maybe I should check out the evaluation copy - I'm sure that if this keeps up we'll all be working in it!

P.S. If ur pushing and pulling spheres, how does the mesh keep tidy for animation purposes?

tel
08-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Supreme Dude!!!!! Great details!!!

vrgz
08-20-2004, 04:43 PM
well done!

Lotus7
08-20-2004, 05:06 PM
beautiful work!!

olijosman
08-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Great design , details and accomplishment.I like the black and white election :thumbsup:

SGT.Squeaks
08-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Excellent, thanks for posting the wires. :thumbsup:

BoydLake
08-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Very Cool... Nice Job Indeed! Can't get enough of stuff like this!

Michicu
08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
great work! :thumbsup: soo much detail!!

GTR
08-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Great work!:thumbsup:

Riddick
08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
T'es un monstre comme dirait l'autre!
Great work!
A good design.
A perfect picture with a real master of the shareware!

Applause!

Sorvan
08-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Very, very good work !

It reminds me this "Legionary" (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/gallery_image.php?image_id=645) .

Maybe an influence from it ?

Impressive work...

(oh if that character could be animated... :drool: )

SpeccySteve
08-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Excellent work.

I really like the colour version too but I can see why you went with the black and white.

( btw, anyone who thinks zbrush is "cheating" or "easy" really needs to get the demo and try it, those details dont paint themselves..)
-Steve

DimitrisLiatsos
08-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Excellent work.

I really like the colour version too but I can see why you went with the black and white.

( btw, anyone who thinks zbrush is "cheating" or "easy" really needs to get the demo and try it, those details dont paint themselves..)
-Steve

indeed...u are so right!!!

shortbuss
08-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey, I for one must speak up and say something about Z-Brush. It is NOT in any way a cheat to do your modeling in this program. I've tried the demo myself, and to be quite honest with you the learning curve is difficult enough to keep beginners away from it; at least that was my experience. I do however feel that a few beginner modelers over-detail their models with Z-Brush, which makes the model look as if it has a bumpy skin disease of some sort.

And steve is exactly right, you still have to have general knowledge of anatomy etc. to pull off such a highly detailed model.

I love the model and composition, and I now understand your choice for modeling the nose as you did. :) I still don't like it though. haha (just personal taste i suppose)

Is there a chance you will provide alternate views of the model rendered? Or is this the final compostition only?

Much Respect,

ESB

pigbelly
08-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Did you model everything in Zbrusch??
if so, I would love to see a tutorial from yu :-)

Fantastic work

Cheers
/Tommie
www.pigbelly.com (http://www.pigbelly.com)

creative destructions
08-21-2004, 12:44 AM
There are a few inconsistencies here and there, but so what. No need to explain a work of art in my opinon.

in your sofa
08-21-2004, 02:14 AM
just superb

HocusPocus
08-21-2004, 02:30 AM
just amazing!

ThomasMahler
08-21-2004, 09:22 AM
if so, I would love to see a tutorial from yu :-)

Fantastic work

Cheers
/Tommie
www.pigbelly.com (http://www.pigbelly.com)

Hey Pig,

Just download the Practical Manual from http://www.pixologic.com - Strike wrote the Warrior Tutorial. He explains quite a bit in there! Also, you should really visit his homepage... :)

SpeccySteve
08-21-2004, 01:50 PM
The mechanical parts are done in Wings3d.

Excellent dedicated modelling app and free.
http://www.wings3d.com/

-Steve

Edit: Strike, just checked out your webby, great work, nice clean site design too.

JetStrike
08-21-2004, 02:32 PM
This is a very nice render. I really dont have a problem with people using Z-Brush to detail like this. It is obvious by the quality of this work that Strike isnt just scribbling on meaningless texture, but has put much effort into it. Thanks for sharing this with us.

sybille
08-21-2004, 06:41 PM
..........tres con.............

theledge
08-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Great work.

Z brush 2 Cheating, HAHA

When you work in the industry you need to "cheat" as much as possible in order to reach deadlines, LOTR used a form Z brush 2 for tons of there work, I dont be calling WETA cheats, IMO you can use what ever tolls neccesary to get to the desired result.

Use Z brush 2 for create displacment maps, or hand paint them, I know what i would prefer.

BESTrin
08-22-2004, 03:37 AM
wow. I saw this this morning and it was one page. I was about to post but i had to go. I come back and theres 5 pages. Havent had time to read it all. Great work. The modeling is superb. remember just because he added alot of detail in zbrush doesnt mean he didnt model the smooth model first. I understand that maybe people using zbrush get caried away and overdue it on detail but whoever says there tired of this zbrush stuff and look down on it as not real modeling is mistaken. Its not comparable to the gi on enless white trend. Its just another tool. Maybe its a bit overdone in some cases but this is rotting flesh. Its suposed to be bumpy. Anyway it looks realy good. I lkike the b&w. I would aply a shader to the metal but leave it black and white. Same grey skin but with reflective metal. Realy cool.

geoMan
08-22-2004, 07:10 AM
really nice model there.... just my type... it has really got a meaning in it......its really really good.... but i think there are a few things that could be fixed

neilyb
08-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Nice modelling and even better a model modified in ZBrush which doesn't look "ZBrushed"! Makes a change to see Zbrush used subtly instead of for out and out displacement of a model.

I like the B&W shading too!

Reinier
08-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi,

Very good model with lots of details and a nice twist on the whole half human, half machine concept.

After staring at all the little details and after i read how "fast" it was achieved... i decided to download the demo of ZBrush 2. This means i can get even more detail in a model even if its a tight deadline. :O

Dr. Ira Kane
08-22-2004, 02:19 PM
looks like the death is skating or rollerblading heh, good work, i like the face most

Grugi
08-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Another great piece of art from you :)

When I compare your work with others, I noticed that most of the cg-pics I have seen have been failed if something was wrong with the anatomy.

But your works always looks brilliant even if it has some flaws.
Maybe it´s some kind of magic ;)

Great work

Greets

Grugi

elektronaut
09-02-2004, 08:07 AM
outstanding work! incredible details! whoa ;)

infectedMIND
09-02-2004, 08:03 PM
I have no words!
:eek: :applause:

Mage3D
09-03-2004, 01:35 AM
It's cool, but the realism differs in different parts: as said, the right arm and wrist, but also most parts wher flesh gives way to machine. It's difficult to explain, but really, the machine just doesn't look realistic for a few reasons; second, the organic bits just don't look, well, organic! They look like bits or rubber. It's especially visible in the face - it looks like the skull and skin are inside out and mixed up. Weird. It DOES look organic...ish but it just doesn't look plausible, you kow? The chest and inner arms, although kinda lopsided have great textures, especially the scar tissue. The machine kind of clashes with the skin to make it look like a virtual collage of sorts. One part you probably had trouble with was the hip joint. you seemed to make it covered in the organic, but it doesn't exactly make it practical if the cyborg starts running and each step makes the metal scrape the skin ;). There are a few weird intersections here and there. The real problem with a lot of the machine half is the fact that it seems kind of pointless. One of the machine-flesh winners (the one with the racetrack) made you believe this kind of machinery was possible because the machine looked built to the purpose. It had the angles, it was streamlined, it had lines where they needed. It combined with the flesh (not without looking un-awkward) but it made the picture seem RIGHT.

The rendering and lighting, however is excelent and the choice of bi-colour was the right choice.

JAH-ren

BU__SH__

[VoTe KeRRy]

silentsamurai
09-09-2004, 08:31 PM
I think this image is awesome. I don't think that the organic parts look rubbery. I like the black and white aspect of the image, I think it really adds to the creepiness. I think the only thing that I do agree with, is that the machine parts do look a little plastic. However, I don't think that really detracts from the image as a whole, that effect could have been something that occured in the post. But over all this is a magnificent creepy image. Would have been a good submission for the machine flesh contest. It might have been and I just didn't read it right.

I think McFarlane needs to come along and tap this website for some rights and make some of these things toys. I would love to see this figure in physical 3D form. It would definitely set on my shelf and creep people out along with the other toys I own.

the silent one

Tilstrom
09-12-2004, 05:06 AM
I love this, incredible work. :D

dave247
09-20-2004, 10:40 PM
One of the best ones I've seen. Awesome. Perfect. Beautiful and wild.

seirim
11-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Simply incredible.
Marvellous, specially the colour version ¡Impact!
:thumbsup:

warthog
01-03-2005, 02:56 AM
Cool work. looks like it could be another demon for Doom. :twisted: :D

LAcrima
01-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Man, how detailed... I know it's Zbrush, but still...

I like it...

m0rdoc
02-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Incroyable comme c génial!!! Vraiment bravo milles fois !

Djuls
05-10-2005, 03:52 PM
So much details

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 03:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.