PDA

View Full Version : All around critique

Michicu
08-19-2004, 05:58 PM
hello every one... i just finished my first digi port so alot of my stuff is up to view... i would really love to have professionals critique my work and let me know whats up. i would prefer the brutal truth then sugar coating so please be honest with me.
thanks for all your time...

>PixlyteArt.tripod.com if there's a problem with that try http://PixlyteArt.tripod.com <
~michi

Michicu
08-20-2004, 11:11 PM
ok, so i see people have been checking out my site, but no ones giving me any critiques... i'm eather really bad or no one likes me :sad: so which is it...:cry:

come on, some one please take time out to give me some feedback...i need it!

chillnlikeamug
08-20-2004, 11:40 PM
I think you have a very well developed style, very (clean) comic book feel. 3D looked great also, I would love to see you tackle some intricate, detailed modeling, might even be helpful if you're considering a position doing modeling. You seem to have a good enough grasp of shading and lighting in your 2D work, enough so, I'd like to see you do some textures for your 3D models. Something that might bring more attention, as far as critiques, is if you you were able to see larger images of your work. It's been a complaint I've had from posts myself. People really want to look close at your work. I'd love to see more of your work as well, keep us updated.

rmac
08-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Hello, I am by no means a professional for 3d. But after reading over your resume, one thing that I see missing is wire shots of your models. If you are trying to get a job as a modeler, I have been told that your topology is important to make the workflow better.

From your stills of your 3d models, the seem a little too soft especially in the knee and arm definition. I suggest extruding in on the back of the knee and defining it more and just adding a few cuts in the bicep and elbow area. I believe you know that they are soft cause you have some of the detail in your 2d work with just adding in the tonal change.

My only other critical comment really is the placement of your previous and forward buttons, find a place so that they are static. The buttons move around from each of your selections, between 3d, sketchbook and 2d. The buttons themselves seem out of place, like they are too big for the setup.

Your 2d work speaks for itself, it is good work but the characters with the single toned backgrounds seem like something is missing. I don't have any suggestion to avoid that, except do something in the background.

I hope this helps some.

Michicu
08-21-2004, 12:05 AM
:)thank you very very much.. i agree with you.
you gave me lots to work on... i'm going to be doing some wire renders this week and i'll post them up asap.

as far as the models looking to soft on the knees and all.... its rigging issue (i hate painting weights and i'm still getting the hang of it so the dont deform as well as they should... :sad: )

andrewley
08-21-2004, 12:05 AM
It's asking a bit much to ask for crits on all your work. If you really want help on a piece you should create a thread for it with image links. You will get more replies this way.

I'll comment on your modelling as that's my area of interest.

The tiger samurai - I would make the head bigger and give the arms more definition.

Mermaid - Quite nice. Face and breasts could use more attention.

Girl - *sigh* (so tired or giving crits on girl models but anyway) lacks definition all over. Kinda looks like a small clay model. I like the proportions - a bit more realistic than all the anime and supermodels that are floating around.

Boy - again just too simple - no detail. The blendshapes don't read well - you should push the expressions more.

Regarding the presentation its pointless posting poly counts unless you are doing low poly work. Say something interesting about your characters.

Hope this helps

rmac
08-21-2004, 12:18 AM
As for your rigging issue, just use rigid bind. One of my professors hates smooth bind, and he does all his rigging with rigid bind. The important thing is to remember to use flexors and lattices to prevent the membership from pulling. It can be alot faster then trying to paint weights with smooth bind. But if you are set on smooth bind just remember to paint from the outside in.

Michicu
08-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Please dont think you have to critique all of my work... feel free to choose which ever one you want or as many as you want... it's just easier to post one site then start uploading all of the files... sorry if i over welmed anyone :wavey:

tevih
08-22-2004, 02:29 PM
I don't kno enough to critique, I'm just finishing my first year AIFL, so hi! :) I liked your sketchbook.

elqui
08-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi Michicu, I've been trying to access your website so I could critique some of your work but am having trouble downloading from it. I can see the thumbnails but can't view the full-size images. Admittedly I'm on dial-up but I've tried a couple of different connections, maybe you could post a few of your personal favourites to this thread so we could offer some critique.

If it's any consolation the thumbnails looked very nice, hence the request to see more :thumbsup:

DJ-Prismatica
08-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I like a lot of your drawings in your sketchbook, but when I look at them colored they just don't seem dynamic enough. Perhaps more drastic color or lighting changes would help.

Michicu
08-23-2004, 12:25 PM
hey there, sorry about the gallery problem elqui, i'll post up some stuff... i think i'll make a new post for each so i can get clear feedback, ... i think u can look up my name and see where i end up posting em (right?)...

DJ-Prismatica- thnx for ur crit. i'm starting to push myself into adding more values and "mood" to my work, i'll post up a peice i did recently... (its dark so i dont know if it will show well on your comp. screen...but let me know what you think)

oh and hello back to you tevih... good luck with AI... dont know if u've seen me around, but if you ever wanna find me, try the fishbowl.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.