PDA

View Full Version : How many Maya to XSI swichers are here?

roger3d
08-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Just curious. How many Maya users are swicthing to XSI here?
How are guys doing?

titaniumdave
08-19-2004, 02:25 PM
I went from maya a few months ago to houdini and have been using xsi for 2 or 3 weeks now. Does that count?

rock
08-19-2004, 04:01 PM
I didn't switch, I simply extend. There are a lot of similarities, a lot of differences. There are things I missed in Maya when I work with XSI; There are things I missed in XSI when I work with Maya. It's good and bad to experience both. It's bad in the sense that you have to work twice as hard or twice as often to get to the same level as if you work with only 1 software, store twice as much keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks, twice as much materials and shaders and their subsequent relationships, all types of terms and parameters than you mind to remember, read more tutorials and manuals, and post in 2 forums more often. It's good in the sense that when you learn one, you understand the other more; you pick things up quicker because you now have a different thought process, a different way of learning, a rounder sense behind your art. Keeping up with the current Olympic theme, the questions rise before us: Do we want to bring home for the country of our choice a gold medal with an olympic record or 2 gold medals with no olympic record? :)

On balance, there's really no clearcut advantage between Maya and XSI, except from the perspective in which you choose to weigh it.

EDDIEthePIRATE
08-19-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm doing much better now that "Experience XSI 4 " is out. I think the software is awsome. The only problem I have had is getting 400,000 hairs to render on this furry dude we are doing. But Xsi has been helping us figure it out. And Eventually I will get used to all the new hot keys.

Don't Worry Be Happy;:buttrock:
Eddie

CoolDuck_HRO
08-19-2004, 11:48 PM
ME! :)

I tried XSI a few weeks ago and I was very happy with the overall feel of the program, nice UI and especially pleased about its poly modeling tools, well not really the tools which are almost the same as in Maya, but the ease of component selection, and other small things like +- keys for subdiv... I also love the property editor or something, when you extrude something you get a window, I like the interactiveness of it. In Maya you have manipulators, both very cool.

I agree with rock, I miss things from Maya (like MEL, nurbs, marking menu) when working in XSI and when working in Maya, I miss symmetry map, raycast selection, move points mode and the +- keys etc.

Also I was very impressed with the rendering of XSI, fast and easy to use: render in viewport.

I like both programs a lot, but I think Maya is still my favorite, nostalgia I think. :)
Maybe because I love the word "Maya" more than "XSI", Maaaaya sounds cooler. :D
It has a sort of god feel to it. :D

CraigT
08-20-2004, 02:56 AM
I can't say I'm switching per se but there is no doubt that I'll only be using MAYA when I have to since I personally like the XSI tools and workflow more than MAYA's(especially bevel, etc.). I find XSI just much more intuitive(like LW did when I first started with it) but interfaces and workflows are a very subjective matter. Both are darn nice tools though and I feel very fortunate that the prices came down to where I could justify getting them.

roger3d
08-20-2004, 03:25 AM
I didn't switch, I simply extend. There are a lot of similarities, a lot of differences. There are things I missed in Maya when I work with XSI; There are things I missed in XSI when I work with Maya. It's good and bad to experience both. It's bad in the sense that you have to work twice as hard or twice as often to get to the same level as if you work with only 1 software, store twice as much keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks, twice as much materials and shaders and their subsequent relationships, all types of terms and parameters than you mind to remember, read more tutorials and manuals, and post in 2 forums more often. It's good in the sense that when you learn one, you understand the other more; you pick things up quicker because you now have a different thought process, a different way of learning, a rounder sense behind your art. Keeping up with the current Olympic theme, the questions rise before us: Do we want to bring home for the country of our choice a gold medal with an olympic record or 2 gold medals with no olympic record? :)

On balance, there's really no clearcut advantage between Maya and XSI, except from the perspective in which you choose to weigh it.
Hi Rock,

I feel the same way.
I have Maya at home and my boss want to upgrade from SI3D to XSI.
I downloaded the exp and the free 30 days trial version of Foundation until he buy it.
It's very difficult to be fluent with two different sw.
Ok, the A and F works the same way in both programs but the workflow, hotkeys, UI, etc are very different.
And yes, I miss something here an there in both programs as well and personally I prefer to use Maya as well, since I use it for more than 2 years. But I have no option.

I lilke the render region, the many little tools that XSI have all around the UI, very organized UI and I'll keep learning it and I'll post more when I can.

In a few days or weeks I'll be officially another XSI user.

So, good luck to everyone here and keep sharing your good experiences, difficulties and challenges about switching to XSI. We could help each other.:thumbsup:

perpen
08-21-2004, 08:06 AM
I have been working with Maya since version 1.0, and one year ago I tried XSI. The more noticeable change is in Maya I did have to learn every trick and workaround to make the tools work the way I want, and in XSI they work the way I want by default. And they really work...That saves me a lot of time and makes me think I am smarter than I really am...so I work with I smile on my face...

I stopped using Maya in v5.0, and at that time the diferences between both render engines was really big: XSI renders away just everything, in Maya you have again to make workarounds, this in Mental Ray, that in Maya native renderer, etc, etc...The feeling I got about Maya is that they made a great work developing tools but didn't test them 100% so there were always problems with them. As far as I know XSI every feature that I've read in the manual works the way it is supossed to do.

At last but not at least, I got the feeling that people from XSI forums (not just this one) is generally more polite, charming and helpful...

Bye,
Daniel

PS: I couldn't live without Proportional modeling now that I tried...

roger3d
08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I have been working with Maya since version 1.0, and one year ago I tried XSI. The more noticeable change is in Maya I did have to learn every trick and workaround to make the tools work the way I want, and in XSI they work the way I want by default. And they really work...That saves me a lot of time and makes me think I am smarter than I really am...so I work with I smile on my face...

I stopped using Maya in v5.0, and at that time the diferences between both render engines was really big: XSI renders away just everything, in Maya you have again to make workarounds, this in Mental Ray, that in Maya native renderer, etc, etc...The feeling I got about Maya is that they made a great work developing tools but didn't test them 100% so there were always problems with them. As far as I know XSI every feature that I've read in the manual works the way it is supossed to do.

At last but not at least, I got the feeling that people from XSI forums (not just this one) is generally more polite, charming and helpful...

Bye,
Daniel

PS: I couldn't live without Proportional modeling now that I tried...
Yes, I'm impressed that Softimage implement many little great tools in their UI.
In Maya you can do almost everything, but many times you have to look for a free script in highend.
And I hope in the next 3 or 4 years XSI become more popular in the industry, because frankly, I don't want to learn another package just to swicht to get a better job.

Cheers,

Roger

patmals
08-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Im a Maya user and have order XSI, but I wouldn't be "switching over". It's more like "adding to my arsenal".

Maya is cool, XSI seems cool too. Other apps are cool as they all have strengths and weakness'.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.