PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the .Rig format yet?

Shade01
08-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Anybody using the .rig format to save and reload their skeletons yet? It would be really cool if we could start trading these rigs with each other and begin to tap into the potential of having a library of rigs available from which you could mix and match different rig parts.

Shade01
08-20-2004, 04:27 AM
wow, so nobody is using this at all yet?

roguenroll
08-20-2004, 04:41 AM
haven't use it, but good idea. To trade various configs, dino, humanoid, quadraped

T4D
08-20-2004, 06:55 AM
only works on basic rigs so far ( some parented item don't get saved, items that Ik targets at parented to get lost too )

maybe next update it's going to be free so looking forward to it :)

evenflcw
08-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Indeed, it does not seem like it would be able to store more "exotic" rigs. I think what they should do is make it easier to save and load specific items to/from a scene instead. That would be more versatile. Their thought was good though, however that's not always what counts.

faulknermano
08-20-2004, 03:34 PM
i got to thinking that lw could benefit from having a 'unified' file format. for example, in apps like maya, shader info could be stored in maya ascii or binary files (but the ascii vs binary is not what i'm getting at - although). all relevant information is stored in that file, and importing that file appends a particular part of the scene based on the "block" the imported file contained. in addition, maya can also store trax clips - in lw, .hmot - in maya ascii or binary scene files.

while i somewhat understand the implication of this. lw's scene file does not contain object info. that's fine, at least for now. the idea is that the scene file is already broken up into blocks of data. lw could ideally export only bits of desired information (keeping file size small, and organisation simple) that can be imported later on.

lastly: granted, this scene file importation and exportation is quite achievable already using lscript / plugins as importers and exporters. but this only makes the .RIG format all the more seem obsolete. i personally dont see anything innovative about the .RIG format. all the needed information for rigs is in the scene file already. all we have to do is to extend lw's modularity to the scene file itself (as opposed to simply the relationship between meshes and the scene). a third-party could do it - i know i can, and might actually try to - but i think lw developers will go on the right track introducing this sort of "principle" in lw file format handling.

just my opinion...

SplineGod
08-20-2004, 04:18 PM
I believe the rig file format also has an SDK so its expandable. The file format on this release doesnt suppport expressions and other modifiers on the rig, just the basics. A rig file can also be part of a full rig like a hand, arm, leg etc.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.