PDA

View Full Version : Model Steps

proton
08-05-2002, 04:29 AM
I've always been in the habit of saving out many copies of my objects while creating them. Would the LightWave community find it helpful if I posted these object files to learn from. Documenting what I did for each stage would be very time consuming and I would probably not have the time to do it...But I could post the steps and you could study them...I've sent these to close friends in the past and they have been able to learn alot from them...If I get enuff feedback I will post several models and all the steps I saved out for them.

Just let me know and I could have them up soemtime this week.

William

dzogchen
08-05-2002, 04:36 AM
Yeah. That would be really helpful. Thanks in advance. :bounce:

ClingFree
08-05-2002, 04:37 AM
I would greatly appreciate it if you would do so. It is always a tremendous learning experience to see how others approach an object. Thanks in advance...:thumbsup:

proton
08-05-2002, 04:44 AM
Remember that these are not setup as a tutorial...they are more or less I sneak peak into my folders......I think they are useful but they will not be clean and orderly....some have 12 steps and others have over 50...

Fuzer
08-05-2002, 05:01 AM
Yes! Please! :bounce:
I have found the Siggraph content very helpful.... not to mention lots of fun :cool:

Yet more evidence of how you are willing to go above and beyond.
Thanks a Bunch William :)

proton
08-05-2002, 05:13 AM
glad to hear you liked the SIGGRAPH content...I would have killed for that kinda material ...Probably still would :)

Seeing actual source files is the way I learn most...I've never created a Tutorial on how I model characters becuase I spend less time creating geometry and more time refining it....

I will plan to release a few model steps this week and see what the feedback is like...Thanx for your interest....I only hope this is the begining of this sort of thing and I hope that more people in Our community will write tuts or anthing else to help new comers to LW....

One of the main reasons I chose LW years back was becuase of the great community...I want to keep that alive!:D

butterfly_fx
08-05-2002, 06:21 PM
Hi william!

Why not make a video along with the steps? it will help to figue out what tools were used to actually get steps done...like the head steps available at http://www.evil-plan.com/phinnius.html
It shows the steps but don't really tell how it was done to go into em and for apprentices it s a bit annoying ;)

a really low resolution video perhaps with some audio that describe the tools used and why they are used....people will be able to DL it with the steps or not...

Also why not trying to make this kind of videos done by amazing lightwavers like taron it will attract lotsa people if we can see him in action ;)

Just suggestions tho i know it can be very difficult to achieve.

Anyway thanx alot for the great efforts you made for LW tutorials!!!

proton
08-05-2002, 07:22 PM
The only problem with that is the objects have already been created over the last year or so.....So I would have to re-create them to record myself doing it...That really wasn't my plan...

I will try and do some screen recording in the near future.

proton
08-06-2002, 06:55 AM
I will be releasing 5 models tomorrow with all the steps...Here are the models I will release:

Anime Girl- This model was also used in the cel shade SIG_02 files...It has 26 model files with several layers per model.

Demon- used in color vmap files for SIG_02 ...Has 12 model files with layers

Dex- Used in Endo morph files from SIG_02...has 20 files with layers

Guy- Comicbook style character with 59 object files with layers

Hulky_guy- base model for a superhero...has 35 model files with layers.

again these are not timelapse tutorials..here is the best way I can describe them:

This is not a tutorial, but a peek into the creative process. This is a glimpse into the creation process. Every organic modeler has his own style of how to approach a given project. This is how I do it. I'm not in any way saying that it is the right or best, but it does work for me. This is provided "as is" -- because it is a dump of the process that I use to create.

If they are recieved well...I have boat loads more I can post in the future..Hope everyone get'ssome use out of them...I had a blast creating them..

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.