PDA

View Full Version : Got my copy of Foundation 4!

Karma Mule
08-19-2004, 01:01 AM
I was very pleasantly surprised to find my copy of Foundation 4 waiting for me when I got home. (Ordered it early last week....) I've been playing with online tutorials, but am definitely looking forward to trying out the training DVDs.

I'm going to eat a little dinner now then settle into a night of fun.... For anyone else who's also just got their copy, what are your impressions of the training DVDs so far?

-Eddie

SevenString
08-19-2004, 01:14 AM
out of curiosity, did you do the "3-day" option?

if so, I might have a surprise waiting for me, too... :D

Karma Mule
08-19-2004, 01:26 AM
I did the cheap (free) shipping option, so I was quite surprised to see it this soon. I had a long day at work today, so it was great timing....

-Eddie

SevenString
08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Okay, that's a little annoying... my shipment status is still showing as "pending".

Why, then, did I pay extra for 3-day shipping?

grrr...

SevenString
08-19-2004, 02:01 AM
okay, i got a response from the Softimage store, but the response makes me a little annoyed. They're telling me that they're shipping my copy right now, and I noticed the sudden change in my order's on-line status. However, I'm getting the feeling that I'm just the "squeaky wheel getting the grease".

I can understand that they're swamped, and processing shipments in-order, but they're also saying that it's impossible that anyone who ordered using the standard shipping option would have received their copy by now.

Hey, Karma. You don't sound like a liar to me. You sound like someone who's excited to start using the training materials, like me.

Anyway, I'm willing to cut 'em some slack, since I'm getting such a great deal on some killer software, and at least it's actually installed on my machine. But it sure as hell is painfull when I paid 30 extra dollars for shipping, just to watch as others get their stuff today WITHOUT having paid that 30 bucks, and to know that I'm STILL freaking three days away from getting the boxed version of XSI.

it's the extra 30 bucks for nothing that has me peeved.

SevenString
08-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Okay, so maybe this whole scenario isn't so out of line...

After looking at the map, it seems that MA is almost withing walking distance of Montreal.

If, becuase of ordering order (lol), they processed your order much earlier than mine, you could conceivably get your order today with standard shipping, simply due to your proximity to Canada, and I'll probably have to wait the full three days from tomorrow, simply because I'm on the west coast.

One of the few times that it sucks to be in California.

So the store rep. probably just made a mistake in claiming that you couldn't have received your order yet.

But MAN!!! They must have a heck of a lot of orders of this thing!!!

Anyway, I'm okay now, after having worked through the logic. I should have just taken the time off from work to go buy it at SIGGRAPH.

SheepFactory
08-19-2004, 02:58 AM
man you already have the software , you have your key , go model something for 3 days or do some online tuts , its no big deal. Like you said you are getting the best deal in town no need to complain.

JDex
08-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Seven String... you're wound up tighter than a High-E... It will come. It will come.

Well, well... another New Englander in the XSI camp... someday we need to get together a NE SI User Group. And if one already exists, I have never seen it mentioned in 2 years.

SevenString
08-19-2004, 03:03 AM
yeah, it's the ole' "roller-coaster" syndrome... karma's post had me thinking that i might get lucky today too... then the letdown.

which leaves me exactly where i THOUGHT i was before i read Karma's post.

bwahahahaha

anyway, congrats, Karma! That's what I should have said all along.

okay, i'm off to do some more rigging and pre-vis work. hey, at least with XSI, i can ALREADY get some real work done. :D

Karma Mule
08-19-2004, 03:09 AM
Seven, lol, I know what you're going through! I've been on the short end of the stick more times than not, so it's a nice treat for me to get my shipment abnormally early. But, I do feel for you!

I wonder if somehow my being near Avid's home in Tewksbury MA also has something to do with it. (Perhaps they shipped a ton of copies down this way to Avid HQ, and I benefitted from being nearby?) My ship order definitely says 'UPS Standard', which I understand to be anywhere from 1 to 5 days depending on your proximity to the shipper, so I think you're right that Boston being close to Montreal most likely is why I got mine relatively quickly.

So, I hope you get yours soon! I've just started poking around with the training DVDs. First glance at 'the principles of XSI' DVD surprised me, it's very non-linear in layout, with lots of topics in no particular order grouped under themes like 'modeling', 'rendering', 'animation', etc.. I would have thought they would have at least part of the topics arranged in a 'so you're new to XSI' kind of way, rather than throwing a smorgasbord of topics at you for you to pick and choose through. No doubt a friendlier approach for the intermediate or experienced user. LOTS of info though.....it's gonna be a long time just to absorb this one DVD!

A quick look at the training DVDs: they have a slicker interface and seem a little more organized, so I'll dip into those now. My head already feels ready to pop....

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! You should be blissfully browsing the DVDs later this week too.... :-)

-Eddie

TonyEdwards
08-19-2004, 03:16 AM
I won't even be able to place my order until next week. :sad: For some reason my wife keeps saying we have to pay bills.

I'm not quite getting the logic in that though. :shrug:

SevenString
08-19-2004, 03:25 AM
stop cheering me up, dammit! lol

Wives are kind of annoying that way. But I put up with it, since she looks like this:

http://www.mimichen.com/images/mcPhotoHeadshot.jpg

But the ace up my sleeve is that she just went "nuts" last week and bought a signed picasso giclee and signed dali litho.

she got good deals on 'em, but turnabout's fair play. And i think i'm gonna be able to sweet-talk me a new laptop based on her recent "art indiscretion" as well. :D

Proximus
08-20-2004, 03:19 AM
My package arrived today, even if I did not received any e-mail advanced notice from Avid :)

Anthony Thorne
08-20-2004, 04:13 AM
SevenString,

Beautiful picture of your partner. The Dali and Picasso pieces sound great, so she obviously has good taste.

I'm going to use the XSI Demo for a long while, and might start moving through the upgrade path next year when all things XSI hit version 5.

Signal2Noise
08-20-2004, 06:42 AM
My package arrived today, even if I did not received any e-mail advanced notice from Avid :)
My e-mail 'advanced' notice from Avid arrived in my Inbox approximately 3 hours after the package showed up at the house!

Methinks Avid are extremely busy which is a good thing. And they're French which explains the tardiness. (j/k, people!!! I'm originally from Montreal, too!) :)

ThE_JacO
08-20-2004, 06:47 AM
Avid is from Boston and has a canadian HQ in toronto I think.
It's Softimage that's from Montreal :)

Hazmat
08-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi folks,

Just wanted to note that I received my box copy this morning. I ordered Aug 11th at 1:15 AM, live in South Jersey (near Philadelphia), and it appears as though my box was packaged in Tewksbury, MA. Also of note, I used the cheap UPS Ground, and I have not received any email confirmation about the shipping. Being unsure of Avid's shipping methods, I had the box sent to me at work so that I didn't miss the package... Glad I did.

It's going to be a good weekend... :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.