PDA

View Full Version : some n00b question

f_jo
08-05-2002, 04:29 AM
simple stuff... i have this character, i've created bone structures for him (in max), then some of the bones are too long/too short, any way to fix this in the right way? There's no option to lengthen/shorten the bone in the modifier tab, using ununiform scale screws everything (look at the pic), and if i used xform the bone's pivot point screwed too, if i collapse it the bone changed into editable mesh, there's nothing mentioned on max's tut about this problem... help me plz. :bowdown:

the second question is about texture, i'll just ask it in this thread, see the girl model? I applied a simple texture (just a noise + motion blur in ps), unwrap it but some jaggies came up in marked area, what did i do wrong? :buttrock:

Chris
08-05-2002, 04:50 AM
the pattern in the hair looks like a moire pattern to me (search on the net for detailed info) its basically a pattern which forms in some instances of high detail. look into 'antialiasing' or 'filtering' & 'supersampling' in the manual for ways to get around it.

resizing bones can be a bit of a bugger. Try going into the bone properties, turning off 'freeze length', selecting 'none' & moving the nub (the little end bone)- hopefully that might resize the bone without creating further problems. you may need to adjust the fin size & bone width after doing this... & dont forget to 'reset stretch' after you have its length sized correctly...

If that doesnt work, you may need to unlink the bone, xform it & re-link it. :eek:

You may want to get a script from www. scriptspot.com called 'Character tools' by Martin Coven. It allows you to resize fins, turn off freeze length, & other stuff on multiple bones at once...

f_jo
08-05-2002, 05:17 AM
searched on google, now i know what moire is... so all i have to do is decrease the hair texture density, right? :rolleyes:

about the bones, i never look at the bone properties, so guess i'm the idiot here :blush:

thanks! you really cheer up my day chris :bowdown:

Chris
08-05-2002, 05:25 AM
no problem, glad I could help :beer:

yep increasing the size (which will decrease the density) of the noise will probably get rid of the moire pattern, but it may not end up giving you the effect you were after with the noise in the first place. If you need that small detail, supersampling the texture will probably fix it (but with the cost at rendertime) :)

jimcoldt
08-05-2002, 05:32 AM
If you need to resize (lengthen/shorten) bones, just go to the Hierarchy tab, Turn on 'affect pivot only' OR 'Don't affect children', then move the appropriate bone(s) until they're correct.
(I think that's the problem you were asking about...?) :shrug:

Note that the first little 'tapered' part of the bone gets a little squashed or stretched (at least in max 4)... UNLESS you use the free max script called SKELETOOLS, which can fix these issues--

by the way, the Max 5 bone adjustment tools are almost identical to the skeletools script... interesting....:)

f_jo
08-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Chris
no problem, glad I could help

yep increasing the size (which will decrease the density) of the noise will probably get rid of the moire pattern, but it may not end up giving you the effect you were after with the noise in the first place. If you need that small detail, supersampling the texture will probably fix it (but with the cost at rendertime)

ok i'll check on this "supersampling" stuff ... thanks again chris :beer:

Originally posted by jimcoldt
If you need to resize (lengthen/shorten) bones, just go to the Hierarchy tab, Turn on 'affect pivot only' OR 'Don't affect children', then move the appropriate bone(s) until they're correct.
(I think that's the problem you were asking about...?)

Note that the first little 'tapered' part of the bone gets a little squashed or stretched (at least in max 4)... UNLESS you use the free max script called SKELETOOLS, which can fix these issues--

by the way, the Max 5 bone adjustment tools are almost identical to the skeletools script... interesting....

isnt this just change the bone's pivot point position? Im on another pc right now, can't try it now... i'll check it later thanks BTW :thumbsup:

OT, just curious, about max 5 did they add meshtool-like tools? How's the nurbs now? any new render engine added (other than the scanline renderer?)

f_jo
08-07-2002, 10:31 PM
jimcoldt : it does work, and i think it's easier that way... thanks :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.