PDA

View Full Version : Basic material question.

neods
08-18-2004, 06:24 PM
I've been trying out the XSI foudation trial, and it seems quite amazing. But there are still many things that confuse me. One of the things is materials.

I know that there aint a "material editor" as in what is in 3dsmax, Lw or Cinema4d. And the materials are listed in the explorer, and edited in the Render Tree. But how can I create a new material? When I select for example Phong, it adds it to the Scene_Material? And If I go and select "Assign Material" nothing happens?

So what I need to know is how to create new materials?

sorry for a n00b question, I checked the documentation, but didnt find any help.

francescaluce
08-18-2004, 06:47 PM
sorry for a n00b question, I checked the documentation, but didnt find any help.ronf.. ronf.. we're lost..

ciao
francesca

qba3d
08-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Ciao.

To assign a material You need:
-select an object and asign a material ( phong or blin or whatever you want) this is a simplest way to attach a material to object
or
-select a plygon and asingn a material. This will create a clusster on selected polygins and asign a second material

now, select an object and press 7
this will list the selected objects material. to see a clusters material, in the render tree there is a menu ( dont know the english word for that ) that lists all the objects material.

To refresh the materials there is a button for that in the rencer tree.

The scene material is a basic material that is asignet to all the new objects.

Hope this helps.
PS: look in to the manuals. They are VERY handy when getting in to the XSI world.

Q

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.