PDA

View Full Version : info on renderers in xsi?

cresshead
08-18-2004, 05:40 PM
i seem to remember that softimage 4.0 had menatal ray and a "softimage renderer" in addition..

so does xsi have mental ray and another renderer that would support more rendernodes for free?

something like that of max whaich has 10,000 free render nodes for the scanline renderer and 2 cpu's for mental ray...

or like maya's free softeware renderer which has unlimedted render nodes and also has mental ray with 2 cpu nodes.

Hellbring
08-19-2004, 03:55 AM
i didnt think xsi had a render engine other then mental ray. Foundation allows for 2 cpu's for mental ray, essentials allows a few satalite renders on top of the normal 2 and then advanced allows even more satalite renderers plus a copy of batch(universal?) that give you 2 more cpus.

However since this is about xsi's render I got a question about different cpus and the final image it produces. Does an image rendered on an intel based machine look the exact same as one rendered on a AMD? I know in LW there are some issues with procedurals and cpu type which will give flicking in textures. Also anyone know if there is a difference in the 32 bit version of mental ray compared to the 64bit?

Proximus
08-19-2004, 04:58 AM
Softimage 3D used to have a second renderer, XSI 4 comes only with MR.

cresshead
08-19-2004, 08:16 AM
okay that clears that up, thanks.

so xsi is a bit like cinema4d in that there's only one renderer for it...

are there many 3rd party renderers available for xsi or is it so closley tied to mental ray and it's shader system that it could not be opened up to say brazil,vray,renderman.

i appreciete that mental ray is a top class renderer so i'm not doubting the quality just the cost aspect for a render farm for big proejcts.

Atyss
08-19-2004, 10:01 AM
The only other renderers you can have in XSI, out of the box, are the OGL rendering ones. For other renderers you need to develop an implementation.

Cheers
Bernard

francescaluce
08-19-2004, 02:39 PM
The only other renderers you can have in XSI, out of the box, are the OGL rendering ones. For other renderers you need to develop an implementation.I really love your way to add nothing to the argument.. :)

ciao
francesca

cresshead
08-19-2004, 03:44 PM
i would haszzard a guess that the softimage renderer [the "other" renderer] that's in softimage4.0 was not that capable in compparison to mentl ray and that's why it was dropped in xsi whenit was created.

maya has 4 renderers:
1.software
2.hardware
3.flash render [celshade pixel and vector/swf]
4.mental ray

though i hear that maya's capabilities are limted in some of those renderers so you have to mix renderers to access all the features of maya...in which case xsi only having one "quality" renderer means that everything you want to make in xsi CAN go throu the mental ray renderer...which is good.

MitchVFX
08-19-2004, 04:42 PM
To me, part of the attraction of XSI is Mental Ray. I wouldn't want a different renderer.

qba3d
08-19-2004, 05:46 PM
cresshead :

theoreticly it is posible. In V4 there were some core changes that should let render using third party renderers. But to get those users should give their developers a sign. I wrote to Vray creators, and got informations that right now they develop for Maya Vray version. So it is a mather of time and XSI users attention to the topic , and giving those developers a sign , that there is a need for that solution.

I know that it is not helpfull , but think of it that way: Partialy there is no others popular renderers for XSI because it had a small user base. Maya , the queen, had a huge amount of users, and that is why , some major MAX renderers are now ported to Maya ( Vray, Final Render). Maya and render man were in a goooood relations since the begining of Maya.
Now when XSI is rising in its user base , mainly because of price drops, it is quite posible that in some future we will see new renderers for XSI.

Q

xzevlin
08-19-2004, 06:32 PM
I've only been using XSI for about 3 days now so I can't really judge how Mental Ray compares speedwise, but it would be great to have Vray in XSI. I almost upgraded max instead of getting XSI just to keep using it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.