PDA

View Full Version : interactive modeling in xsi and 1 more ?

crgowo
08-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I downloaded the xsi foundations 30 day trial because i wanted to see how comfortable i am with the software. I currently have c4d 6 ce so i wanted to make a purchase by the end of year. I was doing a modeling tutorial and i find modeling in xsi a bit slow. I honestly dont need percise measurements when it comes to modeling characters so when i want to bevel a face or extrude along and axis is there a way i can just size it interactively. kinda like wings or c4d instead of asking me for a number size to bevel or exturde etc.

my second question is, is there any way i can switch what mouse button does what when i hit the "s" key. I use wings a lot and since there is now softimage camera mode i use maya and its frustrating to zoom with middle instead of right click and to orbit with right click instead of left click etc.

Thanks for your help.

yog
08-18-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm not certain, but you make it sound like you are actually typing the numbers into the extrude/bevel property box, are you not just dragging the sliders ?

For a really fast extrude, just CTRL-D to duplicate your polygons and position them with the translate tool. If you use the supra mode (keys held down) to duplicate your polygons, so the translate tool stays active all the time, you can do multiple extrudes and position them almost as fast as you can think.

ChristianFischer
08-18-2004, 05:11 PM
regarding the second question ...

go to ... preferences > tools > camera ... and activate "use alternate mouse mapping"

chris

crgowo
08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
yog: na im not moving any sliders. Ill try that when i get home.

Chrischan: going to change it asap. :D

Thanks guys.

crgowo
08-19-2004, 02:21 AM
oh man useing the the sliders and using alternative mouse mapping makes using xsi a lot more comfortable. THanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.