PDA

View Full Version : Dirtmap connection

Madpear
08-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi,

I wanted to know how you connect the dirtmap node to your material. I've seen several ways to do it.

Some people make another scene with the dirtmap assigned to the color of all materials and compose it with the original colored image.

I just connect it to a Luminance and then connect the Luminance to the diffuse of the material.

Is there others way to connect it, and what are the advantage?

zuao
08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi,

Since I always want to be the most flexible about the look of my final images, I'm always using the dirtmap shader to generate an separate layer for later compositing with the other passes. In this way I'm connecting it to the ".miMaterialShader" attribute of the Shading Engine Node (Shading Group) and of course, assign it to the objects that should receive the dirtmap shading.

greets,
nando.

Madpear
08-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that's what I was talking about in my first way of using it.
Is there other way?
I noticed once in a tutorial that there was a green arrow between the dirtmap and the material. That means that the Dirtmap Out value was connected to an input node RGB of the material........ but wich one ????

zuao
08-18-2004, 03:52 PM
oi, ... :) ... yep, you already said it. I think I should have had more sleep last night.
Besides for me there is a green arrow between the shader and the SG.

Hm, but it's not very clear to me, what exactly you want to achieve?
I also don't understand why you are using a Luminance Node? Of course, you could plug the Shader directly into the Diffuse Color of you Material Shader. If you are using a MR Material you should plug the Shader into the Ambient attribute and set the Ambience in the Material Shader Dialog to 1 to see the effect.

Of course, you could use the output of your Luminance Node (this time you will need it) to control the Blender value of a blendColors Node or a mib_color_mix Node or similiars (to mix colors like you would later at the compositing stage)

shouts,
nando.

Madpear
08-18-2004, 04:09 PM
No, it's not possible to plug the dirtmap directly to the diffuse of a material.
The outpout of the dirtmap is a rgb value and the diffuse is a grayscale value. So I need the luminance.

In fact, I don't want to know how to use the dirtmap, i happy with the way I do it.
I just want to know if there are other way to use it.

zuao
08-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Of course the Diffuse attribute is just a float value. I was talking about what is widely known as "Diffuse Color" (named just Color). Connecting the dirtmap to the Diffuse attr is very new to me, my friend.

Madpear
08-18-2004, 04:25 PM
coooool, i'm a precurssor. It works pretty well
I just connect the dirtmap to the ambient (ambient occlusion) with the base color set to the value of ambient you need and the dirt color set to negative value. That's pretty cool :thumbsup: You should try.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.