PDA

View Full Version : Quadruped walk cycle C&C

Nicool
08-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi !

I'm really proud today to have done animation which my really first one. I'm really glad of it :thumbsup: I feel it as being a first step to where I want to go in animation.

http://ndhaussy.free.fr/temp/quadrupedWalkTest.avi (309 Kb)

Inspired from a Preston Blair dog walk cycle. Please, crits and comment welcome!

ankheilw
08-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey Nicool,

This is looking pretty good so far. A few of things that struck me were:

-Too much twisting in the main body of the creature. The locomotion should push the weight forward in more of a definate path.

-The motion all looks pose to pose. Try adding some overlapping motion in the body as the weight shifts from one foot position to the next

-Try adding a bit of dip in the root of the creature to give it more of a sense that it has weight and mass.

Other than that, it looks pretty good. Keep up the good work.

Good Luck!

sormint
08-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Salut, Nicool

Wow, you've chosen a really difficult subject for your first animation! It's looking good so far. Here are my crits:

1) In a walk all four feet land at different times. In other words: walk = 3 feet on the ground at a time; trot = 2 feet on the ground at a time and very bouncy body motion; gallop = only one foot on the ground at any time. So if this is a walk just move one leg at a time, but if it's a trot then you'll have to make it a lot more bouncy.

2) the boddy should remain mostly level with just enough tilt to show that he is shifting weight.

Nicool
08-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Thx for help buddies. It helps a lot. I am discovering a new universe which is more than exciting :love:
I'll work on the cylce tomorrow from your advise!

Ilsoap
08-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Normally all four feet do hit at different times. However, this machine walks more like a 2-legged character would walk. When we walk, there are obviously times when one leg is off the ground, meaning that, for those few moments, we're balancing on one leg in a sort of controlled fall.

What this means for your animation is that, as long as the machine is balanced while it's walking, it's perfectly okay for you to have a two-legs-on, two-legs-off cycle like you do. In my opinion, it actually adds to its mechanicalness... it makes it look light and quickly maneouvrable.

I'm glad you put a dip in it's movement, too. It made the walk cycle more fun to watch. Watch it for too long, and you start thinking that the rider might get sick, but it's still good for a short cycle (especially if one of the legs is malfunctioning somehow).

Nicool
08-20-2004, 02:21 PM
About quadruped walk, the three feet on ground at once becomes an issue to me. Looking at the Preston Blair dog wal cycle ( first banner http://www.freetoon.com/prestonblair/02-charactermov/pages/120.html ) two feet only are on the ground during two frames. So ? :hmm:

Yeah shifting is a good idea to have it more realistic.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.