PDA

View Full Version : Maya 6.0 Batch Rendering with Mental Ray Problems

sideshowsito
08-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Help !! ... I have made numerous attempts to batch render an animation sequence using the Mental Ray software with Maya 6.0 . I searched google for troubleshooting tips or what not, I dont think I am doing anything wrong. I have used the gawd awful maya software rendering and it works fine ... but how come Mental Ray cant give me the light of day ? am i missing something or forgot to check a box in the Render options ? camera attributes ??

The thing is ..when i render the sequence, it appears BLACK. I have final Gather on for my scenes but it seems to work if i render that 1 frame individually but not thru batch ?

GRRRR .......

please help !

:scream:

BillSpradlin
08-18-2004, 02:25 AM
Have you tried rendering from the command line? Also, is this the only machine you have worked on the file with?

sideshowsito
08-18-2004, 04:38 AM
..........The command line -nope.

:sad: Sorry im still pretty new with this whole mental ray/rendering thing..is this a new feature I need to do ? I dont remember anyone having to mention having to type anything thru the command line ...

yes this is the only machine I have worked on the file with ... errr ... why ? am i supposed to have a separate machine to REnder mental Ray images ???

hey Thanks for your time dude...any suggestions/steps/help would be appreciated alot

ARGH! I have banged my head on my desk enough times trying to figure this thing out >_<...

CIM
08-18-2004, 06:19 AM
To render from the command line:

1. Run (Window key + R).
2. Type "cmd" to open a command prompt.
3. Type "Render -r mr -help" or look in your docs.

zuao
08-18-2004, 02:15 PM
... hm, I really think, you have to describe your problem more precisely. Does your scene render right when you're using the Render View? How about other scenes - do they render right with mr?

sideshowsito
08-19-2004, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys .,.. Ok i went to the command line ... do i have to go to the maya 6.0 subdirectory ??? or ??? cuz i keep getting this message when i enter that tagline :

'Render' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

could you guide me one what exactly i need to see / do ? how can i render using this function ...and how do i select my scene to render ??

sorry im not familiar with this function as yet ... thank you

-------------------

dear ,Zuao

ok .. when i render the FRAME by itself using Mental Ray and Final Gather on ... it renders fine. I can see the image .

... BUT when I BATCH RENDER the sequence ( say I have 100 frames as a sample .. tried TARGA,TIFF and JPG ) i set in the render globals with the SAME settings i had to get the single frame i mentioned above ... using BATCH RENDER, they get sent to the PROJECT FOLDER/MENTAL RAY/IMAGES/ ..... and they render but as BLANK-BLACK IMAGES ?????

...any suggestions ??

sideshowsito
08-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Now I got this tip from an ALIAS Link :
http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/knowledgebase/licensing/all/2642.jhtml

1) Command prompt....C:\documents and settings\myusername\maya\... and so on.
( cd = change directory )

2) Went and cd'ed to the file location and typed mayarender_with_mr myscenefile.mb
( myscenefile.mb as a sample )

3) Got this error message :mayarender is not recognized as an internal external command,operable program or batch file.

:shrug: STILL NO LUCK /...:shrug:

zuao
08-19-2004, 09:04 AM
morning,

ok, that details would help to get your rendering straight.

Firstly, for Maya 6.0 you don't have to render with mayarender_with_mr (synm: mayabatch) anymore. Means, you should render with "Render". Cool, heh ;). In your command line you just start your rendering by: render -r mr -proj "path_to_project_dir" "scenename.mb". Simple.

Now, that your commands are not recognized in the command line is very easy to explain. "render.exe" or "mayarender_with_mr.cmd" (Maya 5.0) are, of course, only some files that belong to the Maya Application and if you browse to "<MayaInstallDir>\bin" you will find the "render.exe" file there. Means also, that they could not be found by the Command Line. That's because they are not in the PATH variable, which is strange, because as far as I know the Maya-bin directory is put into the PATH variable while Installation.
You could do it by yourself. Try to find the Environment variables setting, it's under "System Properties/Advanced". And I think you should look into your Maya Docs and search for environment variables. There is more to know about.

Have fun,
nando.

sideshowsito
08-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks Nando... i will try your suggestion as soon as i get home ... thank you for your time !

sideshowsito
08-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Hi Nando,

AGain thanks for the explanation .. but for about 4 hours now, I have done what you have instructed ...

here is my progress :

as you explained with the mayabin directory ... i had opened that directory so that my path on the CMD line in DOS would appear :

C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya6.0\bin
(ok ... so now i am within the render.exe file ... the default was set to

NOW ... what i did was enter (exactly as shown ) :

render -r mr -proj D:\Animation\scenes\ myscene.mb

and this is what it said :

***Starting "C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya6.0|Bin\mayabatch.exe
***Error : File C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya6.0|scripts\startup\InitialStartup.mel line 69 : Cannot Open project D:\Animation\Scenes\Molga
Error: File not found.: ./molga
Error: Scene was not loaded properly,please check screen name

Hmmmmmmm ... did i miss something ?????...

lastly, how do i know where the images are ? and where its supposed to go ? I was told that I set my renderr globals first then do it ... but i dont see any images rendered from this cmd ..

*ARGH ...Pulls hair *

:shrug:

zuao
08-20-2004, 02:18 PM
ok, we're close to victory ;)

It seems you're not familiar with Maya's Project Management. If so, read the next lines, else jump over it.
If you create a new project (under File Menu), you have to give a location and a projectname. Both together are the path for the "-proj" parameter for your batchrender, means: <Location>\Name ... without "scenes". This will be clearer some words later. Back to Projectcreation ... for all the other fields (Scenes, Images etc.) you just give the names for the subdirectories that will be created under the projectdirectory. To make this process simple, there is a button at the bottom to use the Defaults. After you have confirmed by clicking "Accept" the directory structure will be created and a file named "workspace.mel" will be stored, wherein all the project subdirectory paths (you just set), which are dedicated to certain data types, could be found. That's the way MR knows "automatically" where to find scenes and where to store rendered images.

If you created a default project structure and not just a directory by explorer or whatever, then you rendercall should look like this:

render -r mr -proj "D:\Animation" myscene.mb

Type in "render -r mr -help" to get the available options. Study them. A rendercall could also look like this, ... not sure ;)

render -r mr -s 1 -e 50000 -b 1 -rd "Z:\PROJECTS\LOTR3\TAKES\MINAS_TIRITH_ALL\render_pictures" -im "All_beauty" "Z:\PROJECTS\LOTR3\TAKES\MINAS_TIRITH_ALL\scenes\All_in_one_scene_for_render.mb"

ciao,
nando.

sideshowsito
08-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Nando ! You Rock !! Thank You For Time And Patience With Me !!! You Just Saved Me Alot Of Grief With Mental Ray Before It Drove Me ...well ..mental ...

( Hmm Now Im Beginning To Think, Perhaps They Named The Renderer That For A Purpose ?? Hehe ) Thanks Dude !!

I Actually Rendered A Different Scene This Time .. I Think Theres Something Up With The One I Originally Rendered . I Animated From Scratch A New Scene And It Works Beautiful !!!

^_^ !!!!! Chankz!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.