PDA

View Full Version : XSI and MB Question

Anticulturist
08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I instaled the .fbx plugin in XSI, but after I turn off the software, the floating window with Skeleton A and B dissapear. I tried to find it in the custom menus but is not listed there.
Can anyone enlighten me on how to load again that window, and make it eventualy a permanent buton apearing in XSI ?

Proximus
08-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I am not sure if I understood well, but after instal, if you check c:\users\softimage\addons\KaydaraTemplates you can find Human_Skeleton_A.emdl
and Human_Skeleton_C.emdl
You can drag and drop any of them in the viewport and voila, you have a premade skeleton ready for import in Kaydara. Use Human_Skeleton_A.
I hope it helps.

mthoenes
08-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Go To Menu
Application>Toolbars>Kaydara Skeleton Templates

I have been running the Foundation Demo. It has convinced me to get the package. It was relatively easy to import my character Model, which was done in Blender, I used the skeleton provided by the plugin and it did indeed characterize properly. The tutoria;s that come with the demo are very thorough.
mthoenes

Proximus
08-20-2004, 02:16 AM
@mthoenesThank you for the info, after reading Anticulturist post, I was looking also for the menu, it seems my way of drag and drop was the long way around.
I agree, XSI is awsome, I have a lot of fun playing with it.
About the tutorials you are refering to, did you see something specific having to do with the Motion Builder?

pierre
08-20-2004, 08:00 AM
... anyone can explain me the difference between Human_Skeleton_A & C? i'm looking the pdf that comes with fbx addons but i don't see nothing about that

thanks

mthoenes
08-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Proximus wrote "did you see something specific having to do with the Motion Builder?"

A: Nothing specific in the Softimage tutorial about Motion Builder. I have been examining the docs that came with the fbx plugin/addon - seems to have some critical info especially regarding XSI effectors and Shape Keys. It seems a slow process to work through the tutorials which come with the Foundation 4 Demo, it has taken several long late nights and I even skipped over the modeling and texturing. Once I got the interface basics down however, I jumped to Tutorial 6: Character setup - Beck's skeleton and tutorial 7: Character Setup - Beck's Envelope. They gave me enough info to move bones of the default fbx skeleton around and get my character enveloped. Once I opened the fbx in MB, I characterized the skeleton, (somehow I thought you had to characterize the mesh/model and this stumped me for a while). In any case once I dropped the "characterize" on the skeleton, it worked fine. I still have this gang of nulls in my characters face however which I can't seem to turn off.

Last night I attempted setting up clusters for the facial animation. I must have done something wrong; after pushing a few too many buttons, softimage crashed on me and now won't reopen my file - "arrrrg!!!!" It's a good thing that repetition is good for learning - I get to redo my enveloping and weight painting adjustments since I did not save a weight map. Softimage seems to crash pretty easily for me, I am runing it on XP Home though - that may have something to do with it. I am going to get in the habit of saving versions of my
file.

No idea yet on the difference between Skeleton A and C.

mthoenes
08-20-2004, 08:24 PM
I found some good info about setting up shape keys at www.edharriss.com (http://www.edharriss.com). The fbx addon documentation pdf page 16 says,
"
For cluster shape animation, the FBX XSI plugin
works best when it finds a Compound Shape Clip
containing the Shape Clips, all with the same
start-end interval.
"
This tutorial covers creating a compound Shape Clip:

Tutorial #41: SOFTIMAGE|XSI
Shape Animation Tutorial(English) (http://tutorial_xsi_shape_animation/shape_animation.html)
Set up controls for "Bernie the Turtle" to get some nice shape animation effects..... The "Stefan Andersson (http://www.sanders-animation.com)" way! =)

Proximus
08-27-2004, 06:59 PM
... anyone can explain me the difference between Human_Skeleton_A & C? i'm looking the pdf that comes with fbx addons but i don't see nothing about that

thanks
I have no idea except the fact that Kaydara recomend me to Use Human_Skeleton_A
I did not check the other one, but I think is somethink to do with the names of the joints, if the names are not the ones expected by MB it can not Characterise automaticaly the skeleton, but I did not check it up, is just a suposition

Proximus
08-27-2004, 07:04 PM
I still have this gang of nulls in my characters face however which I can't seem to turn off.
Normaly the nulls option was turned off first, but they still show up.
If you go in Kaydara in : Display/ models visibility/ nulls and you turn it on and off again, the nulls should dissapear, this is how I got rid of them.

Proximus
08-28-2004, 10:43 PM
@mthoenes

Any luck with importing back the fbx to XSI ?
Mine get horibly distorted.

Anticulturist
08-30-2004, 03:35 PM
So sorry to answer so late, I had been away for a while, mthoenes and the rest answering my questions, thank you very much, I was looking all over for this :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.