PDA

View Full Version : Martin Brennand - Animation Session 9 - Weightlifting

erilaz
08-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Booyah! An oldie but a goodie. I'll try and get started forthwith! Nothing like a humourous accident to bring out the best in me! :D

SheepFactory
08-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Good luck man , Knowing you I know you'll come up with something funny :)

erilaz
08-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Okay, I've sketched up some thumbs, so I'll post them as soon as I'm able. I'm working on the idea of having the weights being stuck to the ground, then ripping up with such force that they bend backwards and sandwich the guy's head. The idea in itself is still a work in progress.

It'll make more sense in the storyboard. :)

erilaz
08-18-2004, 05:21 AM
Here's a quick shot of the rig setup I'm using. It's a stripped down version of the IK Joe rig from www.pepeland.com (http://www.pepeland.com)

I've animated a walk-to and the preparation to lift so far. I'll try and post up a WIP movie soon, but I'm not sure how much server space I've got left (I'm on a measley 10meg homepage account).

Remi
08-18-2004, 08:57 PM
erilaz...look forward to seeing yours man.....great idea:)

Bullseye
08-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Maybe have the weights look obviously off balance, too many on one side. Then when he lifts it up the weights on the heavy side slide off and the bar slaps him in the face. I dont think its a good enough punchline though, lemme think about this one.

Good luck

erilaz
08-19-2004, 03:05 AM
Bad stick figure thumbs!! Yeehaw. This may flesh out better when I get to the crunch point, but you get the general idea. :D

Remi
08-19-2004, 03:09 AM
Hey punk...what's wrong with lame little stick figure drawings:D

erilaz
08-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Hey punk...what's wrong with lame little stick figure drawings:DHey, your stick figures have finesse and style. Mine look like a kindergarten dropout drew them. :D

I've animated about 250 frames so far. Not looking too bad, but I'll leave that to the critics!

erilaz
08-19-2004, 12:15 PM
This is a rough start, still have to do the ending and obviously tweak everything, but let me know how you think I'm going:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~erilaz/cgchallenge/Anim%2009/WEIGHTS.rar

Sorry about the rar file, but I'm low on server space!:D I'll update this link from now on.

Remi
08-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Looks good so far erilaz....keep going man:)

Demilliac
08-19-2004, 06:18 PM
I can't view the last 2 seconds of your anim, my quicktime player is just crashing at a certain time... but nice start indeed. Waiting about smoothing ;p

Velk
08-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Hmm Looking good, I'm having the same issue the last couple seconds the player crashes. Good start though.

erilaz
08-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Yeah, sorry about the QT crash. I think I got a crc error while compressing the data. I've been having memory problems. Need to fix my hardware!!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll endeavour to finish the blocking out today so I can start tweaking the movement.:)

Remi
08-25-2004, 03:05 AM
Lets see some updates....I liked what you have so far...looking forward to the rest:)

erilaz
08-25-2004, 04:42 AM
Funny you should mention that, because I just finished blocking it out at my lunch break! I've changed the ending somewhat, but I'm going to start tweaking soon. I'll post up something tomorrow hopefully. The ending is going to take the longest time to get looking right.

erilaz
08-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Dang it! I got my file home friday night and it was corrupted again! I'll try to get something for you people to see tonight. It's still in "blocking" stage, but it's the full animation. Need to start tweaking.

erilaz
08-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Okay! Click the same link above for the updated file!

Remi
08-30-2004, 03:44 PM
hehehehe....ok you got me...I was looking to see the weight come up and squish this little guy...but instead...you throw a light at him...completely unexpected which I think added to it alot...great job erilaz...keep it up man:)

TheLostVertex
08-31-2004, 12:35 AM
Haha, that is awsome! at the end i just kind looked at it for a second....then started laughing. Love it

erilaz
08-31-2004, 01:12 AM
Thanks guys! I wanted a bit of a left-field joke at the end, rather than something obvious. How about the animation so far? I've had comments that maybe the feet aren't distributing the weight across the shoulders well. Should I put more secondary motion into the bar? The ending needs quite a bit of work to look more believable.

Here's the link for those who can't be bothered going back to find it:
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~erilaz/cgchallenge/Anim%2009/WEIGHTS.rar

TheLostVertex
08-31-2004, 02:36 AM
Well, id put a bit more sway in his movment when he steps up to the weight. Some torso movment will give him a more organic movment as well. I think the bar could bend a bit less when he first start trying to lift the weight. And as you said, the feet could be slightly apart more.

Remi
09-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey erilaz,

Good job man. I agree with the above comment...there's a real lack of weight when he's stepping up to the weight. His hands and shoulders and hips don't move much...maybe having him cracking his knuckles there would be an idea...Some overlapping motion would be good when he's reaching down too...if you're going for cartoony...exaggerate it...if not just add some subtle lag in the hands...for the lift I would also make his knees shaking....would add alot to it I think....I think you could speed up the light landing on him a bit too...not much weight there either...still looks good man...some subtle tweaks here and there and it'll be boss...great job:)

andy_maxman
09-08-2004, 12:00 PM
did you change the plot for lack of time or what?
the original idea was much better.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.