PDA

View Full Version : Check my animations

AlexYaremchuk
08-17-2004, 05:35 AM
I've got some movies. They are compressed (DivX, RealVideo), ziped so files are not that large. I hope it is the right place to ask for some good critique.

http://light-powered.pristavki.com/index2.php?subEngine=displayTopics.php&table=cg_mov

AlexYaremchuk
08-20-2004, 04:09 AM
Hey, what's wrong people? This message is here for several days now and there were no reply. No one even said that movies are lame or very lame. Is it because this files are too heavy or the link doesn't work? Tell me, please.

RaoUUUL
08-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Well there is just so much to comment on. At the level you are at with your work you either get it or you dont. It seems after viewing your three of your animations, you dont. I suggest you study the principles of animation and know what works and what doesnt. Im not going to comment on the cheese and earthworm jim, those are terrible. There is some hope for your first animation, meet the hero, its a simple, ok idea but not executed so well. Side note, I cant stand that music track damn its annoying and loud in this case but if you want it in put some exciting visuals to go with it. The camera moves through the city for too long, start at a building near the center of the city and quick pan across the windows or something to the side and the hero flies at the camera the camera then pulls back to keep the hero in frame as the hero is flying towards the camera he also flying directly out of the city. Of course that doesnt address your animation but it would grab your viewers attention. He spots the flower. Where you have the camera here is too far push it in some to focus more on the animation. As for the animation its very floaty not much sense of weight. Ex. He says oh that is so beautiful and then lots of floatyness and then he smells the flower. You need overlapping action and show weight and anticipation. Maybe have more interaction with the flower maybe he leaves it in his hair and flies off with it. But the animation is the killer here, practice more. You have a few projects there i suggest you work really hard on one instead of having a bunch of lousy ones. Just dont fix the few mentioned parts and repost, reevaluate everything.

andrewley
08-20-2004, 10:26 PM
I just watched the hero one. I agree with the points RaoUUUL made.

The idea is fine just very poorly executed.

I cringed everytime I heard the music.

The dialogue is poor as is the lipsync.

The landing animation is ok but it all goes downhill from there. Its just too slow. The gaps between actions is huge. The animation should be clever and snappy.

Those explosions were very weak - but I now how hard they can be to do.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but it should inspire you to learn more about animation principles.

Maybe it was a little ambitious? Dunno anyway good luck with future projects.

nemirc
08-21-2004, 02:31 AM
Well I am going to reply without reading other's comments so I will keep mine "clean".

For the "hero" one...
Generally the guy feels weightless, for a man who is very muscular and all... The poses are shy and the overall timing is not very good.
The lipsync reminds me of those old cartoons where you only saw the open and closed shapes. The dialog is also poor (even for a guy who is supposedly dumb, he sounds way too dumb). When he jumps or takes off, you either make it look too fast or too slow.
At the end where he drops the D, at first it seems to be very heavy but then it looks like a feather.

For the worm...
It seems to me you are after a cartoony look... Again, the poses are shy (break those joints!) and they also look weird (look at the part where he grabs the ball). The timing is all screwed up (when he is hit he reacts kinda nice but he takes too much to fall)... The jumps, turns and steps look like he had some kind of problem with his legs. They dont look natural.
It feels like I saw a barbie doll trying to move... those things are really stiff...

I didn't see the third one. No time right now.

Don't feel bad. I know how hard these things can be but if you posted your stuff here is because you wanted some C&C.
Happy animating.

AlexYaremchuk
08-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Oh, finaly some focused critiques I've been waiting for. Thanks a lot for downloading and posting.
I really can agree with the most that you say and I'm NOT going to protect myself by saying that I'm new to animation and stuff.
The hero short is slightly better than the others because it was produced AFTER finishing Animators Survival Kit book - just one of many animation books a have read to date. Knowing principles is one thing and puting them into practice is a harder task. Especially when you have to do the modeling, riging, texturing all by yourself. (^_^)

To RaoUUUL:
There's no reason for reevaluating this projects. They are done and those flaws are too deep. I'm not chasing toward a bunch, this movies were created during a year. Just as you said I need more practice.

To andrewley:
Sorry for music. (^_^)
And yeah the lipsync... Original version was almost perfect but during merging into decoration I messed up with frames in several points. That's was really frustrating and silly as well.
P.S.
Honest critiques are always better then when someone just say "That is good" or "You rock!" and you just don't know your level. Now I know, thanks guys.

AlexYaremchuk
08-21-2004, 03:22 AM
>>>even for a guy who is supposedly dumb, he sounds way too dumb...

No one is too dumb. (^_^)

Well breaking joints is a good idea and I really could do it with the worm 'cause it uses self-made skeleton. Hero movie uses Character studio and have not yet tried to break joints there.
Also worm was animated in a straightforward way with no plot at the begining.

nemirc
08-21-2004, 04:47 AM
>>>even for a guy who is supposedly dumb, he sounds way too dumb...

No one is too dumb. (^_^)

Well breaking joints is a good idea and I really could do it with the worm 'cause it uses self-made skeleton. Hero movie uses Character studio and have not yet tried to break joints there.
Also worm was animated in a straightforward way with no plot at the begining.
by "breaking those joints" I meant taking them one step further than what's actually possible in a real world... that includes moving the shoulders, bending the knees and legs, rising arms... exaggerate your movements (without making your characters look like rubber bands, of course).

As for your previous post... I have read that book but I am still having a few problems translating the animation principles to 3D. Mainly because those principles were written for cartoon animation, while I animate photorealistic characters most of the time... :buttrock:

If you want to practice animation you could very simply use some pre-made rigs (like the ones in rigging 101). Nevertheless learning modeling, texturing and lighting is also a good thing :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.