PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel Critique

Shahbaaz
08-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Hello All!

Just finished my first draft of my Demo Reel. I'm still adding animation but I thought I'd have what I have done critiqued. Thanks!

http://www.warriorartz.com/demo_reel.html

TRT: 2.17

Thanks!

Shahbaaz Shah

colekindred
08-17-2004, 01:49 AM
You have some nice work on this real. However I would suggest cutting about 50% of the weaker stuff out. The penguins have to go. The begining sequence is a funny way to start but it is NOT your strongest animation and that needs to go first. the action/bomb guy flipping the thing out at the end, may be your strongest or the lip synce at the end though the face needs work. (the eyes never blink or move and the mouth is sort of screwy.)

A side note. I know this isn't a modeling or rigging real, however you should look at the rigs of your models and try to get them deforming better, your rigs make it look like the limbs are bending into wierd possitions or past were they should and that distracts from your animation making it look bad wich isn't good.

Honestly I think you have a good sence of timing (though you need to refine your work) but your rigs make your characters seam sloppy. For example look at the begining scene when the guy throws the bomb. His arm looks like a rubber whip making it look like thier are no bones in it. You don't need a spactacular rig but imo you should fix the rigs so they don't make your animation look sloppy.

In anycase I hope I wasn't too harsh but as you will be looking for a job I promise the people watching your real will be much harsher then I am. Your reel has alot of potental. If I were you I would fix my rigs and then pick a couple of the stronger pieces and pollish the hell out of em. A 30 sec reel of your stongest work is better then a 2 min reel with week stuff on it.

Good Luck :)

Shahbaaz
08-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the critique, I see exactly what you mean with the rigs. Not harsh at all, its exactly what I'm looking for so thank you :) LOL I guess I better take out the "penguins" because they're actually crows! Thanks for the advice I'm going to single out a couple of the good ones and make them better. I was a little nervous about that opening because I realize it is a long and slow joke to open a reel with.

Thanks again!
Shahbaaz

MattH
08-17-2004, 09:32 AM
First off, I'm not sure why anyone would mistake the crows for penguins...hmmm. They definatly look like crows to me.

I think you have a lot of potential in your reel, but nothing really shines to me. I think what it needs is simply some more anticipation and follow through to help you get that cartoony "snap" that I assume you are going for. Right now some of it just looks jerky and robotic with no real weight because there isn't any anticipation or follow through. Some good "polishing" work in the right places and you'll get that shine. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.