PDA

View Full Version : which codec for proxies?

Jhonus
08-04-2002, 11:54 AM
Hi couple of questions.

whats a good codec for making proxies??

is there a problem with AFX, DivX and scrubbing (or is it just me)?

:beer: :beer:

moovieboy
08-07-2002, 01:12 AM
Never use DivX for any stage within a compositing workflow.

As for what codec is good for proxies, it depends on the project and why you need to implement a proxy... Do you need all frames, or acurate resolution? Or is it just something you need to see running on a background layer???

-Tom

Jhonus
08-07-2002, 01:53 AM
i just want to temporarily reduce file size so that i don't have to wait so long for huge ass files to preview.

its an editing project... so no compositing, just cutting together video footage.

moovieboy
08-07-2002, 02:17 AM
Hmmm... Editing in AE, eh? That's gotta be a bit of a pain since it's not really designed for editing style playback...

Well, if it's just for editing, doesn 't lowering the comp window parameters to, say 50% and "half" resolution at least make things palatable?

If not, you could select good ol' Sorenson and (assuming you need all your frames for cutting accuracy) just lower the depth quality until you get something more "playable" while staying at 30 fps... And, you could also make your proxy output be "half" resolution as well, speeding things up even more.

Out of curiousity, what kind of huge-ass files are ya talking about? If all you're doing is cutting, AE is usually comparatively responsive with previwing straight DV/NTSC/PAL footage...

-Tom

Jhonus
08-07-2002, 02:33 AM
are there any other PC progs you would recommend for editing?

moovieboy
08-07-2002, 03:14 AM
Well, on the PC side, there's always AVID or PREMIERE... I've used Premiere for a while and it's pretty okay. 6.5 is coming out later this month.

I've never read much about Pinnacle's NLEs like Pinnacle Studio Deluxe... And, let's see. Discreet just killed Edit*....

Not much more I can think of. Doesn't XP have some kind of "barely bearable" version of iMovie?

-Tom

Jhonus
08-07-2002, 05:58 AM
Cheers Moovieboy.

beaker
08-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Yea, totally, use the right tool for the right job. I worked for one place that was using shake for editing. Oy Vey! Its like using a jackhammer to drill a precise hole in the ground.

Adobe allows you to edit in premiere and bring the edit into afterfx for any specialfx you need to add. Also if your using avid or fcp, a company called Automatic Duck allows you to bring your edits into afterfx.

http://www.automaticduck.com/

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.