PDA

View Full Version : Skinning and skinned influence objects

Goon
08-16-2004, 04:59 PM
high, I've been trying to use influence objects to give a character internal structure. But i'm having a bit of trouble with this.

The test influence object i created is a rough ribcage. I have it skinned to the spine, and then attached to the skin with the Use Object option, or whatever that was, on. This should make the skin see the topology rather than the transform node. Shouldn't it?

Well, upon the creation of the influence object, a couple things happen,
in addition to the original object, 2 new objects are created. I had always assumed that in Maya, for deformations, there is a base shape node and a deformed shape node and Maya compares the two. So why has it created two base nodes?
Also when i rotate the spine around, all the points skinned to the influence object stay in place. Even though the influence object is still skinned to the spine, and still deforming. Even if I skin the two new nodes to the spine and they deform. Even if I unlock the influence objects transforms and move it about. Even if I do the same for the new nodes. And even if I turn Use Components on in the skinning node options, like i've seen recommended in other threads.

I've RTFM and it hasn't helped. What am I doing wrong?
I'll be able to supply the file later today if people want to take a look at it.
thx

Octagon
08-17-2004, 01:42 PM
- make sure you add your influences with the Use Geometry option
- double check that your skinCluster has useComponents attr set to 1.
- double check that you have non-zero weights on your influence

About the base objects. Maya seems to create at least one of them redundantly. Just delete the one that are not actually connected to the skin (watch the pink colors on your skin when you select them)

-matthias

Goon
08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
About the base objects. Maya seems to create at least one of them redundantly. Just delete the one that are not actually connected to the skin (watch the pink colors on your skin when you select them)
Alright. Cool, i can live with that.

- make sure you add your influences with the Use Geometry option
- double check that your skinCluster has useComponents attr set to 1.
- double check that you have non-zero weights on your influence Done, Done, and Done. And nada.

thanks tho

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.