PDA

View Full Version : Problems with shape animation tutorial

bugzilla
08-16-2004, 03:56 PM
I have been trying to learn XSI. I have experience in other 3D programs and at least could get basic functionality from them within a few days. I cannot even get one useable bit of animation out of XSI.

For example: I am trying the shape animation tutorial of Dr. Bunson at
http://www.softimage.com/education/Xsi/SelfPacedLearning/Tutorials/webTutorials/XSI_3_0/shape_animation/XSI30_Tutorial11.pdf
I am following the instructions, but every time I try and save a shape I get

"Shapes only store the previous deformations you applied in the shape modeling construction mode. If you haven't done so, your shape will contain no deformation."

OK. Greek to me. It says I will get no deformation, but I am following the tutorial and I have tried messing around with the program for days and nothing makes any sense. I don't see a special "shape modeling construciton mode". I have correctly created a cluster.

I am so friggin lost with this damn thing.

Also, I move objects, press "k", rewind and play back but no movement!

StefanA
08-16-2004, 04:03 PM
switch to "animation" mode in the lower left corner of your user interface. It's should now say "modeling".

regards
stefan andersson

SheepFactory
08-16-2004, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=bugzilla]I have been trying to learn XSI. I have experience in other 3D programs and at least could get basic functionality from them within a few days. I cannot even get one useable bit of animation out of XSI.

QUOTE]

Thats not XSI's fault but your fault. sorry to say but you need to RTFM

You are probably making a tutorial for 3.5 or so , 4.0 has the new construction modes. Use em they are good.

You move the objects but they dont move? Have you been setting keyframes? , are you marking parameters? is Auto key on? You need 2 keyframes for the objects to move you know that right?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.