PDA

View Full Version : XSI on Mac EVER??

cREATURE hARMONY
08-16-2004, 10:47 AM
I am a lightwaver but I am seriously thinking about switching. I've tried a couple other packages out there and XSI reminds me a lot of lightwave and doesn't confuse me as much like maya does.

Problem is my entire setup is on the mac platform. I was fortunate enough to try XSI on a pc I had lying around. Will Avid ever release XSI for the mac platform? please oh please! :bounce:

Atyss
08-16-2004, 12:33 PM
As far as I know there are no such plans. The Linux version is not even native to Linux, so a port to MacOS is doubtful at this stage.

Cheers
Bernard

MLMckenzie
08-16-2004, 01:58 PM
While there has been no official word, when I talked to some of the guy's at the XSI/Avid booth at NAB this year, they told me it was "in the works". What that means I have no idea. They may be waiting for the Mac to get better graphics card support, but like I said there is no official word from Avid. If I were in your position I wouldn't wait for a Mac version and miss this incredible deal. I use both Mac and PC in my studio.

Just remember, it's not the "shoes" it's the play'uh.

MLM

Thalaxis
08-16-2004, 03:20 PM
As far as I know there are no such plans. The Linux version is not even native to Linux, so a port to MacOS is doubtful at this stage.

Is that becuase of the DirectX stuff?

rock
08-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Does Mac have a middle button now? XSI workflow is based throughout by the left, middle, and right mouse click - which I think is not well thought out. Because of this weakness, XSI is forced to have a status bar to let you remember what each click does in a set of related action. It's ok to use the 3 mouse clicks, but it should be used sparingly (like in the viewport pan, zoom, dolly), but not to permeate it throughout.

Per-Anders
08-16-2004, 04:35 PM
i'm not sure why this misconception continues to perpetuate itself, i guess cos apple continue to supply only two butotn mice with the machines. anyhow macs use standard USB mice, just like PC's. i've know of no-one who doesn't use a standard three or 5 button mouse with scrollwheel (either a macally, or microsoft, or logitech) mouse with their macs.

how do people think mac users run maya which is equally dependent on a three button mouse configuration?

mharrison
08-16-2004, 08:20 PM
i'm not sure why this misconception continues to perpetuate itself, i guess cos apple continue to supply only two butotn mice with the machines. anyhow macs use standard USB mice, just like PC's. i've know of no-one who doesn't use a standard three or 5 button mouse with scrollwheel (either a macally, or microsoft, or logitech) mouse with their macs.

how do people think mac users run maya which is equally dependent on a three button mouse configuration?
I don't know this either. I have an eMac and a Thinkpad laptop, I use the same kind of 3 button Microsoft mouse on both machines. It's only because Apple ships their macs with the 0-button mouse (the whole mouse is the button), I think. But most Mac users spend the $20 and get a Microsoft scroll wheel mouse. I use my 3 button mouse for Maya PLE, Cinema4D, FormZ, and Shake on the Mac.

blacknoise
08-16-2004, 10:09 PM
there are a lot of mouses for macs... it's not a problem. micros**t... logitech etc...

concerning xsi. my friend made it to work on a mac under yellow dog linux :) he said it was pretty nice (fast) and stable.

need to talk to him on this subject...

zen jehad
08-16-2004, 10:52 PM
there are a lot of mouses for macs... it's not a problem. micros**t... logitech etc...

concerning xsi. my friend made it to work on a mac under yellow dog linux :) he said it was pretty nice (fast) and stable.

need to talk to him on this subject...

Is that even possible though? Since the binaries are x86 and Yellowdog is PPC. Still, be cool if you could find out what he did.

acidboy
08-16-2004, 11:43 PM
ROCK:

I've read a few times where you've mentioned you're dislike and confusion concerning xsi's use of 3 buttons. Which i'm not gonna flame you about, just give you some tips.

With L/M/R mouse buttons relating to moving each axis when translating an object. You can change that to the maya/max approach (of clicking directly on the axis icons to move a certain axis). Simple turn on "enable tranform manipulators' under the tranform panel on the right of the screen.

You can also change the order of the L/M/R buttons for pan/dolly/rotate, by turning on 'use alternative mouse mapping' under the camera menu in the preferences.

The extensive use of the 3 mouse buttons can be sometimes daunting at first. But honestly I haven't needed to looked at the mouse status bar for as long as I can remember. Unless it's a new tool. Also in xsi 4, most tools have changed, and only use left and right buttons.

Coming from maya, I also found it all a bit much at first. But after I got comfortable with it, I'm working faster then I ever did in maya......also the supra key feature in xsi really helps to speed things up.

Hope I helped..........a little :)

visualboo
09-10-2004, 02:04 AM
Does Mac have a middle button now? XSI workflow is based throughout by the left, middle, and right mouse click - which I think is not well thought out. Because of this weakness, XSI is forced to have a status bar to let you remember what each click does in a set of related action. It's ok to use the 3 mouse clicks, but it should be used sparingly (like in the viewport pan, zoom, dolly), but not to permeate it throughout. Are you serious? That's one of my favorite workflow jobbies that I love about xsi. Soo many time saving things like that in xsi.

It's all about power. Let's face it man, these programs arn't aimed at general public. They are highend 3d applications to recreate everything beyond reality. Just by nature they are deep programs. So imo having the 3 button options is an extremely minute thing to remember.

peanuckle
09-10-2004, 04:39 AM
I think XSI will eventually come to the MAC being that almost all of avid's stuff is on the mac. I dont think V.4 will be ported though. I bet you it will be version 5 or higher. I wish that it would goto the mac. I really want one of those G5's.

pea~

Sil3
09-10-2004, 01:23 PM
What´s the big problem in buying a PC? Instead of waiting years for a port, why not simply buy a simple machine that can run XSI with no troubles and use that power right away?

With less than 1K u can build a machine that runs XSI very well indeed, probably a lot better than on a super Mac.

Signal2Noise
09-10-2004, 02:23 PM
I echo Sil3's sentiments. That's what I ended up doing way back when for other apps. Now my household contains two macs and 4 windows machines (2 desktops & 2 laptops)!:argh:

Basically, seize the moment and get XSI now! Don't wait an eternity for a port that may never see the light of day. ch, you say have a PC "lying around". Why not set it up and use XSI? Keep LW on the Mac and enjoy the powers of XSI on the pc, today! ;)

Besides, chances are by the time XSI comes to the mac all us other CGers will have moved on to what ever the next "in" app would be. Unless, of course, XSI continues to progress as being one of the most solid 3D applications that it is.

thorn3d
09-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Choose the software FIRST, and the computer SECOND.

thorn

SheepFactory
09-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Does Mac have a middle button now? XSI workflow is based throughout by the left, middle, and right mouse click - which I think is not well thought out. Because of this weakness, XSI is forced to have a status bar to let you remember what each click does in a set of related action. It's ok to use the 3 mouse clicks, but it should be used sparingly (like in the viewport pan, zoom, dolly), but not to permeate it throughout.

you never fail to amaze me man :rolleyes:

if only you can find enough time from your ADD to read that manual at least a page a day....

Signal2Noise
09-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Hehe! That's funny, Sheep.:D

ThirdEye
09-10-2004, 07:42 PM
If you prefer keeping your Macintosh get Cinema4D, Maya or Lightwave, if you can accept to use a PC get whatever you want, in this case Softimage|XSI, thread done ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.