PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with DF ram setup..?

Infinity3d4life
08-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm running DF v4.2 and i have no idea how to setup my ram options.. I just don't understand cache, and all that stuff..

My system specs are P4 2GHZ, 512 ram. ATI 128mb card..

My question is how do i setup my ram to get the best performance out of DF.. even simple things seem like they take forever to render.. I plan on upping my ram soon, but for now i just need to know how to take care of this problem.. TIA..

Jayk2k
08-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Cache is just a place in ram that will hold an image rather than reloading it from the disk. DF handles this mostly on it's own, but depending on the type of footage you're working with, 512 ram may not be a whole lot. (ie a 2K film plate is 12-14 megs a frame.)

If you are finding things slow during a render, you might need to enable the "flatten transform" in your merge tools, as too many of these in a row, coupled with a little amount of free ram available, will slow things down.

Infinity3d4life
08-18-2004, 05:30 AM
Thanks for getting back with me on that.. I will try out your suggestion, and see how things go from there... Thanks alot...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.