PDA

View Full Version : More MentalRay shaders!

Pages : 1 [2]

Fifth_miracle
10-09-2005, 08:18 PM
First, off thanks for all the hard work you put into these shader Pixero.

I have a couple of questions regarding the JS_normalMapper and JS_edgeDisplacer nodes.

1. With JS_edgeDisplacer what do the Bias and Gain attributes actually control? I'm trying to get a handel on how the shader works. For instance can't seem to control the amount the geometries being displaced. Adjusting the file nodes alphaGain, doesn't appear to have a noticable effect with this node. As an experiment I hook up a Maya displacement node, and dialed in the correct alphaGain and subdivision approx. I then swithced the edgedisplacer in my shading network and got this:

Maya Displacement Node:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7761/mayadisplacementshader1vd.th.gif (http://img31.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mayadisplacementshader1vd.gif)

JS_edgeDisplacer:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9048/edgedisplacer6sr.th.gif (http://img31.imageshack.us/my.php?image=edgedisplacer6sr.gif)

2. While I've had some success testing JS_normalMapper and ZB normal maps. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct settings for ZB. Are their specific settings for Red to, Green to, Flip Red, etc. for ZB? Also what does Edge Fade do and when should you use it?

Sorry, for asking so many questions. I only took the plunge of learning MR a week ago, and despite having the Maya docs and Gnomon DVD's it's still pretty confusing at the monment.

Pixero
10-10-2005, 06:29 AM
Fifth_miracle:

1. In Maya 6.5 it all worked fine and the Bias and gain controls "should" control how close to the edge the displacement are and how sharp transition the displacement have.
My brief test showed something changed in Maya 7 since Maya 6.5 with displacement.
I have very little time at the moment so I probably wont be able to fix this for a while.
(If not someone could tell me whats changed.)

2. My knowledge of ZBrush isnt very thorough but I think you could do all the setup there to have it render correct with Maya. The "Red to" and so on are there to make life easier if the setup from ZBrush or any other source wasnt correct. For instance, the Headus Killero setup should have Red to Y and Green to X and Blue to Z for some reason.

Fifth_miracle
10-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for answering my questions Pixero. I think I've gotten the normal map issue licked, Zbrushes new Displacement Exporter plugin solved all the issues I was having.

I'll have to dig into the Maya 7 docs and read up on those displacement changes you mentioned. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

magsnus
10-10-2005, 02:27 PM
This is just so great!!! thanks a bunch everyone working with these shaders, specially the people porting them to linux! :)

By the way puppet, i take it getting p_MegaTK and p_buffer_writer to work with mayas built in MR isnt a possibility? looks really interesting

Pixero
11-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Added Maya files for Ben Rogalls zbump bump shader and steep parallax shader.

Now what is a steep parallax shader one might ask?
Here is a one polygon plane with a grid texture and a bump map. Nothing very interesting.

http://www.pixero.com/bilder/pics/bump.jpg

Here on the other hand is the same one polygon plane with steep parallax mapping.
Note that there is no displacement mapping going on here.

http://www.pixero.com/bilder/pics/parallax.jpg

Here is the alpha channel. Note the correct alpha at the edges.

http://www.pixero.com/bilder/pics/parallax_alpha.jpg

Here is a comparison picture i found on the net.

http://www.pixero.com/bilder/pics/compare.jpg

Cool eh!

You can find it at my site as usual.

brogh
11-02-2005, 08:10 PM
what to say :cool: thanks for this :beer:

Pixero
11-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Added updated Maya files for rc19 of Ben Rogalls Solid Volume. Now includes Volume loader.

akewt
11-03-2005, 03:32 PM
what to say :cool: thanks for this :beer:

i think its safe to say we all love you Jan!!

gotta check this steep parallax mapping out..

colt
11-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks, that parallel bump mapping looks great. But somehow I can't get selfshadowing to work properly.
What's the best (right) way to connect the shader? I plugged a mib_illum_phong into the surface, a maps color and alpha into bumpmap and that same map through a bump2d1 into normal. Where does the Parallax_Shadow shader go?
See attachment, somehow the specs seem wrong and there's no self shadowing. One point light to the right, raytrace shadows.

Ohh, and don't forget to check >> pass custom alpha channel under >> custom entities in your render globals or you won't get an alpha.

Pixero
11-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I have only done a little testing of it so for a "correct setup" you could take a look at this thread at xsibase forum.

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=19497

Pixero
11-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Fixed a "typo" in Solid_Volume mi file. Sorry! :blush:

gga
11-03-2005, 07:52 PM
They have their node ids set incorrectly in the .mi file.
It should be:
#: nodeid 6503008
not:
#: node id 6503008

Pixero
11-03-2005, 08:05 PM
They have their node ids set incorrectly in the .mi file.

Thanks, Fixed!

chrisWhite
11-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Pixero, you rock man! I just began using some of these and they are great, thanks so much! :buttrock:

doms
11-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Ray trace shadows with the Solid Volume shader don't seem to work (and didn't see them on Pixero's test render), i've set all trace depths to 4/ simple shadows/ using transp. shadow shader. Can't think of what i've missed, has anyone else got shadows to work??
(Oh, thanx for the shader and all the forum help)

gga
11-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks, that parallel bump mapping looks great. But somehow I can't get selfshadowing to work properly.

It will have problems with maya lights, the way it is coded. You need to place the Parallax_Shadow light shader on the lights you want to have shadows as the main light shader and then, attach the actual light shader to the single parameter in the Parallax_Shadow shader.
You can do that with the mental ray light shaders, but probably not with the maya ones.

Pixero, is the source code to this parallax shader available? The shader is very complete, but it is extremely slow for what it should be. I'm wondering whether it is the multiple texture lookups that is killing the algorithm or something else is the problem.

Pixero
11-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Ben Rogall who wrote the shader is active in the www.xsibase.com (http://www.xsibase.com) forum so you might ask him there for the code. I dont think he would mind you taking a look at it for a chance to speed it up. At least he wrote that he was willing to send the code to someone that would help him compile for another OS.

chriswaner
11-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but...

If I build a Phenomenon Material Shader using Pixero's shader nodes and I send the Phenomenon to a friend, does my friend need Pixero's shader nodes for my Phenomenon to workon his machine? In other words, does the Phenomenon 'embed the code' of the other shaders or does it simply hide the other nodes to simplify the way artists interact with the shader?

Thanks

Chris

Pixero
11-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Your friend will need the shaders too.
Think of a phenomenon as a network of shader nodes with one node as the UI.

Pixero
11-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Added Linux compile of JS_MultiLayers.
Thanks Colin.

Added JS_Glare.
A glow/glare output shader I had laying around. Maybe some will find it useful.
It adds glow/glare to bright parts of the image.

http://www.pixero.com/stuff/glare.jpg

Enjoy! :)

cpan
11-16-2005, 05:39 PM
wohooo Pixero you keep shooting great shaders like crazy hehe :D
the glare shader is just what i was looking these days:scream:

thanx again and goooood job as allways:thumbsup:

brogh
11-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Great !

Thank you for this :D

:beer:

Pixero
11-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Updated Ben Rogalls Parallax shader to v.6. It should be faster now.
Here is a pic with shadows.

http://www.pixero.com/stuff/parallax.jpg

Pixero
11-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Ben Rogalls Parallax shader now version 7.
Now with possibility for depth maps.

KORBAC
11-21-2005, 05:06 PM
hi,
pixero could you please explain me which of your shaders can substitute "scalars to vector" shader.Actually I was trying to reproduce effect found in this thread http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=21652;start=0

thanks

Pixero
11-21-2005, 05:21 PM
could you please explain me which of your shaders can substitute "scalars to vector" shader.
I havent made one...yet. ;)

Cant you just use a standard Maya (or my) MultiplyDivide node with operation set to none. Then use the Input 1 x, y, z as three scalars?

KORBAC
11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
thanks for info Pixero,
I will try to use multiplydivide shader since I am 3dsmax user....thanks

frogspasm
12-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey Jan,

First, thanks for all the work you've done to get these shaders up and running for Maya!

I was wondering if there's any easy way to extract the .dll files from an XSIADDON file.
I wanted to try out the newest Binary Alchemy shaders (13.1) but they're only available in that file format. Is there any way to do it without XSI?

edit: Whoops, I hadn't checked the spdl file...Dur! Nevermind :)

Thanks,

~Mike D.

LehaS
12-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Hei people

How could i get normal vector out of Mental Ray shaders? I m trying to replicate the effect of Facing ratio utility (i do know Pixero has made it already ;)) but with all math vivible in the shader tree....so i will need normal,ray direction and dot product stuff....

Normal:
With Maya software i just take bump node and use outNormal output but this wont work since i m planning to use my shader network to export it as a phenomena in the end
I couldnt find any normal output like that in mib_bumpbasis node so i just tried outputing U and V vectors into Vector to Vector math and taking cross product out of them ...this kinda worked but in a very strange way...i assume i messed up some spaces conversions...

Ray direction:
what could i use instead of Maya Sampler iNfo node in MR ?

Thanx in advance

Pixero
12-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Well... if my JS_Incidence shaders isnt enough for you maybe you´ll find what you need in my JS_VectorState shader. It can output the normal vector and eye ray among other things. :wise:

LehaS
12-29-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanx a ton Pixero i finally got it to work

I didn`t use JS_Incidence because it returns scalar not vector...i just needed a plain basis vector generator...

ok now......vectorA*vectorB=dotproduct....But is there a way to calculate vectorA for instance if we have know vectorB and scalar product of A and B? Is this theoretically possible? :D

One more thing....how can i transform the outputs of your Vector state node from Camera space to World space?

Thanx

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d147/leha_sokol/facingratio.jpg

Pixero
12-29-2005, 10:50 AM
I still dont get what your trying to do that JS_Incidence doesnt do in one single node?

I´ve made a JS_SpaceChange shader some time ago that I have added to my site.
It convert vector/point/normal to/from object/world/camera space.
Maybe this is what you want?

LehaS
12-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Seems like you didn't announce it officially ;)....otherwise i would have noticed it...
THANX:bounce:

Well i m trying to deconstruct particular shading networks/effects to minor elements in order to understand better the way it works and to be able to tweak it more precisely.....i can use ready shaders of course but i d like to get deeper......

Thanx again

Pixero
12-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Added JS_ExposureControl.
A MentalRay lens shader with Exposure, Contrast, White balance, Saturation and Color Filter.

floze
12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
A MentalRay lens shader with Exposure, Contrast, White balance, Saturation and Color Filter.

Haha I know a few peeps that would smack your for this one.. heh. Thanks man! :thumbsup:

Pixero
12-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Haha I know a few peeps that would smack your for this one.. heh. Thanks man! :thumbsup:

Tell me more... :rolleyes:

KORBAC
12-30-2005, 02:13 AM
A MentalRay lens shader with Exposure, Contrast, White balance, Saturation and Color Filter

aaaaaaa!!!.thanks for this one.

brogh
12-30-2005, 03:33 PM
thank's for this !

Can we have a linux version ? :°° please

Originally Posted by floze

You can include me :* hggh
cheers

KidderD
01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
More curiousity than anything, but I was just wondering why we haven't seen anything like this for Maya yet..

http://www.softimage.jp/softimage/addon/tensionmap.html

Just wanted to know if anyone's thought about implementing it. Maybe, it's really slow or something, dunno. Maybe, there even is a shader somewhere that people use. Anyone?

tom_c
01-03-2006, 10:47 PM
http://www.lightengine3d.com

:-)
tom

castelis
01-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Tension Map is not a shader it is so called scripted operator (As far as I understand). It generates weight map you can then use for driving shaders in RTree.

Lamster
01-19-2006, 03:26 AM
Hi,

I am having trouble using the Steep Parallax Shader. Mainly, my problem stems from not knowing exactly how to connect the shading network. The README file asks me to use a zBump Shader to connect to the bumpmap slot, but rendering after doing so crashes maya hard. So I am really unsure as to how I should be connecting it.

Can anyone who knows how to use the shader please post a screencap of your working shading network in maya?

Also, I hear that this method of calculating surface relief is actually quite slow, so can anyone with any experience of using this shader please share how long it took for you to render an image of say 640x480 and with what kind of settings?

Thanks

Terence

Pixero
01-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Lamster. Heres how Parallax is setup.

http://www.pixero.com/bilder/pics/parallax_setup.jpg

Use Parallax as your objects material and connect your surface shader to Surface.
Bumpmap to Bumpmap and bumpmap through zbump node to Normal.

Hope this helps!

Pixero
01-19-2006, 10:50 AM
JS_ExposureControl updated to version 1.1.
Silly bug fixed that caused color temp interpolation not to function correctly.
Should work now with a smooth qubic s-spline interpolation. :D

IestynRoberts
01-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Fair play Jan, you do a lot to help us around here, i duff my hat to you. Good work. I especially like the wood shader!
Thanks
-iest

Lamster
01-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Ah I see. So the zbump OutValue goes into the Parallax's Normal attribute. I am wondering if using zBump has caused anyone else's computer to crash bigtime? My computer crashed so hard after trying to render an incorrectly connected zBump node that it gave a blue screen of death and restarted itself.

I'll have to check this out tomorrow. Thanks Jan!

Terence

Pixero
01-19-2006, 11:50 AM
My computer crashed so hard after trying to render an incorrectly connected zBump node that it gave a blue screen of death and restarted itself.
Ouch! :eek:

francescaluce
01-19-2006, 02:29 PM
a blue screen of death
don't say bullshits. bluescreen crashes are only possible when
win driver fails or crashes theirself, no appz crash can bring
you to a bluescreen. take care. :)

ciao
francesca

floze
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
don't say bullshits. bluescreen crashes are only possible when
win driver fails or crashes theirself, no appz crash can bring
you to a bluescreen. take care. :)

ciao
francesca
Well, if the shader would somehow incorrectly be hooked up on the hardware renderer, it might crash opengl...

Lamster
01-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Hey,

It could very well be a driver failure, or hardware failure... I won't pretend to know how it happened :) But I ain't lying when I say it happened. Just to make it clear, I am just relating an experience that I have had while attempting to use the shader. I don't mean to say that the shader directly caused the computer to crash. I know it never is as simple as that haha :)

In fact, Maya would crash gracefully to desktop while trying to render the scene.The bsod reset only happened AFTER I crashed Maya repeatedly after 2 or 3 times trying to render the scene with the incorrectly connected zBump node. I'm not proficient enough to know how this can happen.

I've seen this sort of crash before on my machine though; it was something to do with trying to run cinema4d on opengl mode. The computer would hang for a long period of time before giving a blue screen for a very brief moment, (not enough to read the error message) and resetting itself.

Anyway, I'll have another go at this steep parallax shader and see what happens eh :)

Terence

Lamster
01-20-2006, 04:04 AM
Hi There,

I have done a test render using the shading network advice that pixero has kindly provided.
I basically took a single face plane primitive and mapped a colour texture onto it, and used the same texture for the bump map.

Here are the steps that I took:

1. Create a parallax shader node and assign the material to your object
2. Create a shading node (mib-illum_blinn, dgs, mix8Layer with ctrl_shading, whatever... ) and attach this to the surface attribute on the parallax shader node.
3. Create a texture that you want to use for the bump map and attach it to the bumpmap attribute on the parallax shader node
4. Create a zBump Node (you can download this from pixero's website) and attach the bump texture into the input1 attribute of the zBump Node.
5. Attach the zBump Node to the Normals attribute of the parallax shader node.

Doing this should get the image to render.

I made a test on a plane with a single face, and this is the result. However, I can't get the self shadowing to work. I created a parallax shadow node and attached it to the lights as light shader, then I linked the lights to the parallax shader node. Then I checked the box that says Self-Shadowing. Please take a look at the attached screencap of my shading network. I'd like to know where I went wrong.

edit: oops the network image doesn't show the parallax shadow node. I connected the message attribute of the parallax shadow node to the light shader attribute of both the directional light and spotlight.

Pixero
01-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Use Parallax as your objects material.
Connect surface shader (Lambert, blinn...) to surface of Parallax.
Connect bumpmap to bump of Parallax.
Connect bumpmap to zbump to normal of Parallax.
Raise Factor value on zbump to match bump height value on Parallax shader.
Connect Parallax shadow as MR lightshader to light.
Click use selfshadow.
Link light.
Turn on ray trace shadow on light.
Lower the Umbra value to see darker shadows.

Render.

Hope this helps!

lovisx
01-21-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm having troubles with the shader. If depth map is off the render stops half way. When I have a light shining on one side of the object and I render it looking at the opposite side there is a weird shading going on. It's not pitch black like it should be.

Pixero
01-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Added Linux versions of:

JS_Incidence 1.2
JS_Glare
JS_ExposureControl
JS_SpaceChange

Thanks to Brendan Orr.

JS_Incidence 1.2 have a new feature called "Wrap" that can wrap the incidence toward "negative" values. For more info and some pictures see this thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3198846#post3198846

brogh
01-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Thank you really a lot for this pixero ;)

magsnus
01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks so much for all your work Pixero and especially to Brendan for helping to port for Linux
!!! :)

If you still live in sweden ill buy you a beer the next time i go there pixero

Pixero
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Updated JS_Wood to version 2.0.

Version 2.0 uses a different noise algorithm to be compatible with the Maya version of the shader.
It has a toggle between object space and world space.
V.2 also needs a place3dtexture node attached to control positioning, scale and rotation.
(V1. used simple built in postioning that lacked many features.)

I´ve also made a node called JS_Place3dTexture that is mostly meant for use without Maya such as 3dsMax. It basically works the same as the built in place3dtexture but the built in node works fine for use in Maya.
(A note to Max users is that scale will need to be increased to work with Max scenes.)

For pictures go here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3262374&postcount=28

Lorecanth
02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Pix I love you.

tel
02-21-2006, 02:08 PM
man.. im renderman user sometimes... but this thread is awsome for grow up knowledge in mental ray! thanks man!

tel
02-22-2006, 02:47 PM
hey pixero... where is the right place to connect the JS_GLARE? could you tell me please?

thanks!

Pixero
02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
JS_Glare is a MR Output shader.
Connect it to your camera -> Mentalray -> Output passes -> Output Shader.

Pixero
02-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Added Linux compile of JS_Wood and JS_Place3dTexture. Thanks to Brendan Orr.

Guesswho.....LeftCorner
02-25-2006, 11:59 PM
hi every one
am not gona talk so much but man that's really pretty good

Pixero
03-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Added OSX versions of:

JS_NormalMapper
JS_MultiLayers
JS_ExposureControl
JS_Wood
JS_Place3dTexture
JS_BiasGain
JS_Incidence
JS_Mosaic
JS_OneSide
JS_SpaceChange
JS_Contrast

Thanks to Sylvain Maziere!

cgtriguy
03-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the OS X love.

mikethomson
03-30-2006, 04:40 AM
JS_Normalmapper crash after first render

Hi Jan,

Thanks so much for your hard work at getting shaders out for mental ray. I have been using your js_Normalmapper to apply tangent space normal maps to my models, which render fine, once. The problem I am having is that after I render one frame in maya and try to render a second, it will bring up an error:

mental ray for Maya 7.0
mental ray: version 3.4.5.2, 06 July 2005
---snip---
API 0.0 error 301031: call to undeclared function "JS_NormalMapper"
API 0.0 error 301036: undefined shader "JS_NormalMapper"

I am running maya 7.0.1 & js_normalmapper 1.2. Have you seen this before?

-Mike

AndrewRaZ
03-31-2006, 01:25 AM
well, as i trudge through the mountain of learning that is Maya rendering, i got another boulder. this time, Mental Ray batch render doesn't want to work, complaining that it doesn't like any of the custom shaders i've installed. it will report:
"API 0.0 [warning #] 302005 C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya7.0\mentalray\include\[customshader.mi] on line [line #]: while defining declaration [one of the functions in each file, varies]: ignoring redeclaration of function [same function]"

i get one of those errors for every single custom shader i have installed. i have altered the maya.rayrc file to include those (copy below). at this point, the batch render won't continue. renders within maya work fine. i can 'fix' this by restoring the maya.rayrc file, but then any of the custom shaders within the scene won't render correctly.

so, obviously, there is something wrong with my modified maya.rayrc file. can anyone tell me what it might be?

#*****************************************************************************
# Copyright 1986-2003 by mental images GmbH & Co.KG, Fasanenstr. 81, D-10623
# Berlin, Germany. All rights reserved.
#*****************************************************************************
# Evaluated at startup time of the plug-in to fill the mental ray registry.
#*****************************************************************************/

registry "{MAYABASE}" value "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray" end registry

registry "{SYSTEM}" value "windows" end registry
registry "{DSO}" value "dll" end registry

$lookup "{MAYABASE}"
$lookup "{SYSTEM}"
$lookup "{DSO}"

registry "{MRMAYA_START}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/base.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/physics.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/mayabase.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/contour.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/subsurface.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/paint.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/mi_openexr.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/mayahair.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/maya_rayDisplace.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/ReflectionUtility.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/Diffraction.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/mix8layer.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/base.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/physics.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/mayabase.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/contour.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/ReflectionUtility.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/JS_NormalMapper.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/Dirtmap.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/ctrl_shading.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/ctrl_multidisplace.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/ctrl_fresnel.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/bumpCombiner.{DSO}"
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/l_glass.{DSO}"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/mayabase.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/base.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/physics.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/contour.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/subsurface.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/paint.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/mayahair.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/maya_rayDisplace.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/ReflectionUtility.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/Diffraction.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/mix8layer.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/subsurface.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/mayabase.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/base.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/physics.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/contour.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/ReflectionUtility.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/usefulPhen.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/JS_NormalMapper.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/Dirtmap.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/ctrl_shading.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/ctrl_multidisplace.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/ctrl_fresnel.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/bumpCombiner.mi"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/l_glass.mi"
echo "mental ray for Maya - startup done"

end registry

$lookup "{MRMAYA_START}"

sunit
03-31-2006, 08:57 AM
conceivably this line:

mi "{MAYABASE}/bumpCombiner.mi"

should be

mi "{MAYABASE}/include/bumpCombiner.mi"

-sunit

AndrewRaZ
03-31-2006, 09:39 PM
well, i'm going to take a stab and guess that the declarations are actually case sensitive. i fixed the bump combiner declaration based on your advice, Sunit, but i still got more errors than i could read in the command window.
so, i restored the rayrc file, and started adding the declarations back in one by one, running a test render from the command line after each addition. it now works, whatever was wrong before. like i said, i'm going to guess the names were case sensitive.

zugok
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
I am a it confused.

Jan Sanstrom made two separate shaders to get Normal Maps to render in Maya, one for Maya SW render and one for Mental Ray. Are both of these shaders set-up the same? I am able to get the Maya SW render to work properly, but not Mental Ray. I have the following installed:

Include:

JS_NormalMapper.mi

Lib:

JS_NormalMapper.so
JSNormalMapper.lib

Plug-Ins:
JSNormalMapper.lib (is this the same as above?)

I also have the scripts:
AEJS_NormalMapperTemplate.mel
AEJSNormalMapperTemplate.mel

And the Icons..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pixero
04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
The ones with JS_ (underscore) is for Mentalray and the ones without is for Maya software renderer.

What you need is to copy the included files to these locations:

Install the .dll (or: .so if you're on Linux or OSX) in your maya/mentalray/lib folder
Install the .mi in your maya/mentalray/include folder
Install the .mel in your My documents\maya\7.0\scripts folder
Install the .xpm in your My documents\maya\7.0\prefs/icons folder

Add these lines to your maya.rayrc file:
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/JS_NormalMapper.{DSO}"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/JS_NormalMapper.mi"

Hope this helps!

zugok
04-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks, it works great!

Dark Vortex
04-27-2006, 09:15 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:
Seriously, thanks for these (even though this is a little late :)

Pixero
05-02-2006, 09:45 PM
JS_Expression is a MentalRay shader that gives you the power of mathematical expressions.

It can be as simple as:

A + B (Add)
A * B (Multiply)
A+B-A*B (Screen)

...or as advanced as you can come up with.

You can also choose to have separate expressions for the different channels and connect any scalar (float) value to variables U - Z.
Maybe having the shader change with time.
The possibilities are endless...

(If you want to use it with vectors you can use my vector to color and color to vector shaders with it.)

Consider this a "try and play" version since it hasnt gone through too much testing. There might be some instabilities.

Have fun and post some pictures of what can be done with it.

Variables:
Color:
A, Ar, Ag, Ab
B, Br, Bg, Bb
C, Cr, Cg, Cb
Scalar (float):
U, V, W, X, Y, Z

Operators:

+ Addition
- Subtraction and unary minus
* Multiplication
/ Division
^ Power
% Modulo
& Logical AND
| Logical OR
! Logical NOT
>, >= Greater or equal
<, <= Smaller or equal
!= Not equal
== Equal

General functions:

abs
acos
asin
atan
avg(x,y,z,…)
bin
ceil
cos
cosh fact
floor
hex
if
isNaN
log
log10
max(x,y,z,…)
min(x,y,z,…) rand()
rand(min, max)
round
sin
sinh
sqrt
sum(x,y,z,…)
tan
tanh

No, it doesnt do MEL and sorry, Windows only I'm afraid.

francescaluce
05-03-2006, 01:45 AM
ehy Pix, why didn't you try to implement LUA ?
there's already something like this around.
does it support multi-threading ?

ciao
francesca

Pixero
05-06-2006, 11:01 AM
francesca,
This was made just for fun. Doing a Lua interpreter would probably take some more time which I dont have right now. :)
I dont have a multi threaded PC so I havent tested. Again, there is probably much room for improvements...

JS_NormalMapper 1.2.1
Fixed a small bug in EdgeDisplacer so it now seem to work in Maya 7.
(Only Windows version yet)

Pixero
05-17-2006, 06:47 AM
JS_NormalMapper and JS_EdgeDisplacer v 1.2.2

Fixed a bug in EdgeDisplacer so it now calculates correctly in worldspace.
Windows and OSX version so far. (Thanks to Chad Dombrova.)

thehive
05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
hey Pixero can you use dev c++ to comple MR shaders?

Pixero
05-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I use Visualstudio but I guess it will work.
You could ask others at: http://forum.lamrug.org

bibek_3d
06-27-2006, 10:58 AM
hi all

amazing thread hats off to Jan, Francesca, Gonzalo and all the others who contribute to MR shader dev.I am frankly a geek in programming so i use what ever you guys write and try to use them to the best of my abilities.

My current problem is that with the gg_fakefur shader .... i wanted to know if it can be used to create a "soft toy" look or if anyone can suggest me a method to get that sort of a look without using real fur.

I have been trying some stuff but the output is not too great plus i am a maya user without much knoledge of MR shaders.

If anyone can help i would be really greatful.

Great work going on in here please keep it up !!

Cheers Bibek

Pixero
06-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Added Maya files for Tek2shoot's T2S_Illumination shader.

T2S_Illumination is dedicated to CG artists looking for a single Illumination node to be used as a basic building block for a great variety of materials.

This shader brings together different illumination models, as well as some of the last Mental Ray functions for optimized glossy scattering. New features, such as Coating surface effects, custom Lafortune settings, or Fresnel Mask are proposed here.

The illumination components is separated into 5 features:

Diffuse
HighLights
Scattering
Fresnel Mask
Surface Effects
Two other Tabs are added for custom adjustments:

Anisotropy
Weights
More info here: http://www.tek2shoot.com/content/view/29/27/

You'll find the Maya files on my site.

Atwooki
06-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Sounds fascinating, Jan (especially fresnel masking) - but I'm might be really dumb here, but can't seem to locate the DL on your website??

Edit Not only dumb, but blind :D found it now and thanks :thumbsup:

cheers

C.

dagon1978
06-28-2006, 12:00 AM
thanx jan! :applause: it seems a really great shader, i was hoping on a maya porting :D

Pixero
06-28-2006, 07:02 AM
From my first brief test I don't think the Fresnel presets work. :sad:
They seem to come from the spdl file instead of beeing coded in the shader dll itself.

sub FresnelPreset_Onchanged()
Select Case FresnelPreset
Case 0
IOR = 1.49358
Case 1
IOR = 0.125
Case 2
IOR =1.0
Case 3
IOR =1.771
Case 4
IOR =0.4
Case 5
IOR =1.96
Case 6
IOR =1.21
Case 7
IOR =2.33
Case 8
IOR =3.15
Case 9
IOR =0.9
Case 10
IOR =2.42
Case 11
IOR =1.78
Case 12
IOR =1.589
Case 13
IOR =1.59
Case 14
IOR =2.13
Case 15
IOR =1.55
Case 16
IOR =4.28
Case 17
IOR =1.45
Case 18
IOR =1.9
Case 19
IOR =2.8
Case 20
IOR =3.5
Case 21
IOR =2.38
Case Else
end Select

end sub

Anyone knows if its possible to make this work through mel?
Otherwise I'll have to ask the guys who wrote it if they could make a Maya/Max friendly version... ;)

Saturn
06-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Don't worry we will :) They have MAX and Maya seats so don't worry

cpan
06-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Anyone knows if its possible to make this work through mel?
Otherwise I'll have to ask the guys who wrote it if they could make a Maya/Max friendly version... ;)

if the presets only change the IOR attribute then that's not a big deal to do with MEL :P
you could even do global presets with the attribute editor and remove the wrong attributes from the preset file.

btw the shader looks very cool, but the shader organisation is confusing me... anyway just tested this for 10 minutes, so maybe that's the reason :P

Pixero
06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
if the presets only change the IOR attribute then that's not a big deal to do with MEL Is that something you could help with?

Throbberwocky
06-28-2006, 11:31 AM
That T2S shader looks amazing!

I got a problem with it though. I installed it and it also shows up fine in the Hypershade and in the Attribute Editor, but as soon as I click on Render I get an error message:

// Error: (Mayatomr) : mental ray has stopped with errors, see the log //
// Info (Mayatomr): Aborted //
// Error: (mental ray) : cannot load C:/Programme/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/lib/T2S_Illumination.dll //

We tested this with Maya 7.0 and 7.01, each time without success.

Any ideas?

cpan
06-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Is that something you could help with?

sure, when i'll have some free time i'll take a look :)

-edit
wohooa, tested a bit more the shader and... IT'S WAY COOOL, just BRILLIANT!! :bounce:
i'll dig into the AE ASAP :D
-end edit

@GumboYaYa
i got the same error and to fix that you need to install microsoft .NET framework:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

dagon1978
06-28-2006, 02:58 PM
ehy pixero, presets are working fine here

gold
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4459/gold4zi.jpg

alluminium
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/9143/alluminium3ea.jpg

copper
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8417/copper8vn.jpg

but, i notice some strange effect when i active the "refraction" node... my object come black and there's no way to make work the shader newly (even without refraction)

dagon1978
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
uh, now i've a doubt... maybe is working only the color part of the presets? :argh:

Saturn
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
that's really strange about the refraction probleme because it has been corrected ( and everything was going back when refraction was switched off ).

By the way about the preset and how they work. Basicly you 3 fresnel incidence for each preset with different IOR according to the 3 different wavelength ( R G B ). That why it give you these tinted reflection like gold, silver or cooper.

I will suggest you to play a bit with coating and Lafortune specular term. ( try to put a light behind your object )

Gabba
06-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't know if this is a bug or a brainbug of mine, but if I use only FG without any kind of light the shader return black color instead of the diffuse color ;)
Great one anyway =)

Gabba

Saturn
06-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Try with a light with intensity set to 0.

I know doesn't make sense but in Xsi this is common with any shader.
No irradience calcultated if there isn't any light in the scene.

Gabba
06-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, it work! Thanks to you =)

Gabba

Saturn
06-28-2006, 03:37 PM
oh by the way nice render dragon.

Are you in an olympic mood ? :P

dagon1978
06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
that's really strange about the refraction probleme because it has been corrected ( and everything was going back when refraction was switched off ).

By the way about the preset and how they work. Basicly you 3 fresnel incidence for each preset with different IOR according to the 3 different wavelength ( R G B ). That why it give you these tinted reflection like gold, silver or cooper.

I will suggest you to play a bit with coating and Lafortune specular term. ( try to put a light behind your object )

dont know, but this is my render with gold preset now (no changes in the scene/light/render settings)
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5426/gold22ld.jpg

no matter what preset i chose i get this black material

btw diffuse and specular are still working, it's just a fresnel mask problem

oh by the way nice render dragon.

Are you in an olympic mood ? :P

thanx saturn! :D
but...i'm d-a-gon not d-r-agon :scream:

brogh
06-28-2006, 03:50 PM
thanks for tek2shot shader pixero :D

>> Dagon :

When i get ya I kill ya .. ehehe contact me on msn

cheers

Saturn
06-28-2006, 03:54 PM
oups my bad ;) sorry dagon

By the way, they are working on a proper Maya version. Apparently everything is turned on which make some strange behavior.

Pixero you should have wait before posting it. Anyways it's too late now. They are working hard to correct and to get something usable for maya.

Only thing I can say it's that shader just rock in XSI.

dagon1978
06-28-2006, 04:34 PM
oups my bad ;) sorry dagon

By the way, they are working on a proper Maya version. Apparently everything is turned on which make some strange behavior.

Pixero you should have wait before posting it. Anyways it's too late now. They are working hard to correct and to get something usable for maya.

Only thing I can say it's that shader just rock in XSI.

eheh no problem saturn ;)

so...we have just to wait... this is a really great shader! it's pimp! :scream:

>> Dagon :

When i get ya I kill ya .. ehehe contact me on msn

cheers

:D

Pixero
06-28-2006, 06:20 PM

Saturn, I'm working with them for a next release of the "Maya version". Some interface issues and also the wraplight selfshadowing artifacts.

Pixero you should have wait before posting it.

I was just so eager to try it myself, and kind as I am, I also let you try it. ;)

Oh, well...

Atwooki
06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
diffuse and specular are still working, it's just a fresnel mask problemThat's what aroused my curiosity in the first place...(a few posts back) - the foibles of implementing such an array of attributes are pretty intense, I would have thought?

EDIT: On reflection, it would seem it's a 'Maya' native conflict thingy ;)

Saturn
06-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Saturn, I'm working with them for a next release of the "Maya version". Some interface issues and also the wraplight selfshadowing artifacts.

I was just so eager to try it myself, and kind as I am, I also let you try it. ;)

Oh, well...

I guess you was very excited ;)

Yeah sebastian told me.

Pixero
07-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Version 1.1 of

T2S_Illumination

This version doesn't need the Framework .NET 2.0 anymore.
The following bugs, were also corrected :

- The specular reflections for horizontal planes are now fixed
- The Specular / Diffuse controls in the light parameters now affect the shader illumination
- Another bug that we found with transparency, were some render tiles were glossy and some other not.

This Maya release has some interface improvements like dimming of inactive parameters to make it easier to use. In the Goodies folder it also has edited scripts for Swatch display. (Be certain to read the discription on how to install the modified scripts.)

http://www.pixero.com/bilder/pics/t2s_interface.gif

Gal
07-05-2006, 10:53 AM
that's great pixero, thanks.
would you mind converting Binary Iris's rayhistory and depthmirror for maya please? those are really interesting attributes i wish raytype and reflection utility had.

djx
07-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Pixero, the T2S_Illumination has some wonderful features - thanks for sharing it.

I am finding it unstable though. A simple scene with a sphere and a light all works fine, but as soon as I add it to something more complex with other lights and shaders, it either renders all black, or crashes maya completely - no error messages.

Are you aware of any conflicts with other shaders or any special setup no-no's?

(maya7.0.1 on a pc (and I have .NET 2.0, but I see thats not needed anymore))

Saturn
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
really wierd because we beta test it with heavy model here.
(buddha scan ) I have even push it to 10 Millions poly to see what happen. ( but it was in Xsi )
You should send them your scene.

djx
07-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Saturn, thats good to hear. Do you know who I should send the scene to? Im happy to do that if you think it would help. (I hope its not just me doing something stupid though!)

brogh
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Thank you PIX ;)

cheers

Saturn
07-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Saturn, thats good to hear. Do you know who I should send the scene to? Im happy to do that if you think it would help. (I hope its not just me doing something stupid though!)

Www.tek2shoot.com (http://www.tek2shoot.com)

dagon1978
07-07-2006, 10:06 PM
it doesn't work with IBL (FG without lights), am i right?

Pixero
07-07-2006, 10:26 PM
it doesn't work with IBL (FG without lights), am i right?
Have you tried with a light with 0 intensity?

dagon1978
07-07-2006, 10:33 PM
oh, my bad ;) it's working fine!

pixelmonk
07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
this thread always deserves to be at the top....

bump.

Kako
07-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey guys!
Great shader!
But I can't get the bump to work...
Here's a simple test:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i189/kakophotobucket/t2sBumpTest.jpg

dagon1978
07-16-2006, 01:53 AM
there's definitely something strange in the bump

in diffuse (in self shadows)
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/926/diffusedl3.jpg

in reflection
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2030/reflectionga6.jpg

and in specular
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1440/specular1bi8.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3272/specular2st0.jpg

dagon1978
07-16-2006, 02:13 AM
BTW the anisotropic reflections work very well!! :scream:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2310/aniso2sp8.jpg
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1495/aniso1ll3.jpg

Saturn
07-16-2006, 12:45 PM
We don't do any support for italian since 9 julu ;) So I am sorry ......

I will have a look because it seams that bump mapping aren't handle the same way in Maya and XSI.

Stay tunned :)

dagon1978
07-16-2006, 02:50 PM
We don't do any support for italian since 9 julu ;) So I am sorry ......

I will have a look because it seams that bump mapping aren't handle the same way in Maya and XSI.

Stay tunned :)

hehe thanx Saturn :thumbsup:

tripNfall
07-17-2006, 06:44 AM
This T2S_illumination shader is way cool. Also, the fact that it has a working shader ball and a viewport preview is sooo cool.

Thanks Pixero and tek2shoot

Saturn
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
I couldnt make the time to watch it yet but you may try that :

In Xsi's version you can control where the bump is affected ( diffuse , specular or reflection )
That mean that you can have bump only on the specular for example.

I had thought. Perhaps the switch are just off.

I will have a look anyways. Sorry for the delay, but I am a bit busy currently.

buki
07-18-2006, 06:36 AM
hi Folks!

Is it just me or downloads are disabled on Pixero's site?
Would love to try the t2s shader but can't grab it.

cheers

AndreasMartin
07-18-2006, 07:05 AM
The download is working here. I've attached the file from pixero for you.
Pixero if you don't want your shaders stored somewhere else than on your homepage please pm me and I will remove the attachment.

-Edit
The download should now work at Pixeros homepage:

http://www.pixero.com/downloads_mr.html

buki
07-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks a lot Creative!!!

pixelmonk
07-19-2006, 03:30 PM
(not mine.. just found them on Highend3d.com

www.highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com)

direct link to new shaders are here:
http://www.digiteck3d.com/pages/sections/tools/toolsMain.html

Pixero
07-19-2006, 05:58 PM
First of all I must say, I dont have anything against digiteck and others shaders.
On the contrary, I love all the MentalRay shaders and stuff that is released but I'm not much for threads that cover everything and grows in all directions. (Like the MR shader thread in the Max forum.)
In my opinion it makes it hard to find something special in a several hundred pages thread.
Please try to keep this thread related to shaders that I'm somehow related to. :thumbsup:

thylaxene
07-20-2006, 12:00 AM
and unlike digiteck's mr shaders most of yours are cross-platform! well done and keep up the great work. One happy osx maya user.

Atwooki
07-20-2006, 12:32 AM
You're correct of course, Jan;
But the threads title does *suggest* a free for all MR shader input....
Personally speaking your various shaders have saved my ar*e on many occasions (and enormous thanks due to you for that :) ), but may I tentatively suggest a re-phrasing of the threads'-title to something like: 'Pixeros' Shaders' (or similar), to avoid any confusion?

Only you could do that ;)

C.

BlasT
07-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for asking, but anyways.
Can somebody point me to a OSX compile of a ctrl_shading shader. I've already searched on google for two days and all I found were only requests for it from 3-2 years ago.

Thank you.

Simon

Pixero
07-20-2006, 10:22 AM
BlasT: Tom Cowland has a few OSX shaders at his site. If its not there I'm afraid there is no OSX version. Not sure why franscesca doesnt want to compile (or let others compile) for OSX.
http://www.tomcowland.com/mentalray/

Atwooki:

I tentatively suggest a re-phrasing of the threads'-title

How do I do that? All I managed to do was to change the title in the first post. :shrug:

Saturn
07-20-2006, 10:15 PM
there's definitely something strange in the bump

in diffuse (in self shadows)
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/926/diffusedl3.jpg

in reflection
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2030/reflectionga6.jpg

and in specular
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1440/specular1bi8.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3272/specular2st0.jpg

Do you use the bump inside the shader ? If yes then it's normal to get this result.
This isn't a proper bump, it mean to be use to put some distortion in the reflection/specular.

Like for example, the mi_bump_flake.

You need to use an another way to make your bump. In XSI in the material slot we have a bumpmapping slot ( beside surface, shadow, photon, volume etc ... ).

I really don't know on maya, because the only way I figure to put a bump map was in the illumination node when the bump was available.
I guess if you know how to put a bump for a material like DGS then you will have the expected result with T2S shader.
My knoweldge of maya is a bit limited ( and damn it looks like very complicated to put a bump :p )

dagon1978
07-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Do you use the bump inside the shader ? If yes then it's normal to get this result.
This isn't a proper bump, it mean to be use to put some distortion in the reflection/specular.

Like for example, the mi_bump_flake.

You need to use an another way to make your bump. In XSI in the material slot we have a bumpmapping slot ( beside surface, shadow, photon, volume etc ... ).

I really don't know on maya, because the only way I figure to put a bump map was in the illumination node when the bump was available.
I guess if you know how to put a bump for a material like DGS then you will have the expected result with T2S shader.
My knoweldge of maya is a bit limited ( and damn it looks like very complicated to put a bump :p )

oh ok, it's clear now :thumbsup:
it's not so complicated, we have the great bump_combiner, we can use it even with t2s ;)

dabrams
07-30-2006, 05:33 AM
_Is it possible to have unique glare nodes per surface? Only connecting to camera seems limiting and more like using a lens filter. I'd LOVE to be able to specify glare for each material.

-Dru

Scott212
10-02-2006, 03:03 AM
Has anyone been successful pluging a texture into the diffuse color? I can't seem to get any of the texture in the render, just the color of the diffuse swatch.

Edit => Nevermind, operator error...

Pixero
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Linux 64 bit version of JS_MultiLayers added.
Thanks to Christian Burggraf for compile.

Pixero
11-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Linux 64 bit versions of the following added:

JS_BiasGain
JS_ColorMath
JS_ColorToScalar
JS_Contrast
JS_ExposureControl
JS_Gamma
JS_Incidence
JS_Mosaic
JS_MultiRamp
JS_NormalMapper
JS_OneSide
JS_Place3dTexture
JS_ScalarMath
JS_SetRange
JS_SurfaceLuminance
JS_Switch

Thanks to Christian Burggraf.

MrElmo
11-11-2006, 03:11 PM
anyone has an idea if the lightengine shaders will be converted for maya 8.0?

JacobCarmona
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi Pixero.

I've download the last version of your shader “JS_Multilayer” from your page and when decompressing it I have realized of which the only version that you do not include is the Windows X64, indeed the one that I need; -). Exist some possibility that you include this version soon? PREASE!:bounce:

Sorry for my poor english.:sad:

Thanks.

tel
03-27-2007, 03:52 AM
hey pixero, i writed to you today, but i will say here too, so ignore the mail if you want.

two things:

at JS_MultLayers swatch display i did the changes well, but still not working on my atribute editor and hypershade... so my question is,

works fine in maya 8.5?

now the second: it's a suggest.

is possible for you create something like drag and drop for change the layers order of the Js_MultLayers? im have a little troube to make a diferent hyerarchy. maybe this can be easy for you.. i dont know..

thanks for the shader bro! is amazing

Pixero
06-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Most of my shaders are now available for win 32, win 64, linux 32, linux 64 and OSX.
Thanks to the people that helped me compile for different platforms.
Especially David Lanier for the win 64, linux 32 and 64 versions.

As a gift to the MentalRay community there is also the source code for them included. Maybe someone can learn something from it. There is also a pack with just the source code. Look at the middle of the page.

Enjoy! :D

www.pixero.com (http://www.pixero.com/)

djx
06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
As a gift to the MentalRay community there is also the source code for them included

This is very generous, and will certainly be a great learning resource. Thankyou ver much.

-- David

floze
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Most of my shaders are now available for win 32, win 64, linux 32, linux 64 and OSX.
Thanks to the people that helped me compile for different platforms.
Especially David Lanier for the win 64, linux 32 and 64 versions.

As a gift to the MentalRay community there is also the source code for them included. Maybe someone can learn something from it. There is also a pack with just the source code. Look at the middle of the page.

Enjoy! :D

www.pixero.com (http://www.pixero.com/)
Thank you a million times, Jan. That's awesome!

dagon1978
06-23-2007, 03:24 PM
really thanx Jan :)

Pixero
06-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Added Mac OSX universal binary versions of my shaders thanks to Trey Harrell.
You'll find a Text link to all of the .so files at the middle of the page. You'll still need the mi files and stuff from the shaders links above.
Enjoy!

tharrell
06-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Big thanks to Pixero for providing source for all of his shaders. Those of us trying to integrate Macs with other platforms (notably Win64) have had a horrid time getting version parity recently. I decided to stop being the guy nagging people to make builds, and just do them myself :cool:

On that note, if there's anyone else out there that would like me to make universal builds of their libraries, drop me a PM and I'll be more than happy to oblige!

(Edit)

Pixero's home page (check out the downloads->mental ray section):

http://www.pixero.com/ (http://www.pixero.com)

--Trey

Pixero
06-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Added OSX universal binary version of mix20layer, also thanks to Trey Harrell.

Enjoy!

stooch
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
what the world REALLY needs is a good volumetric solid noise shader to work with the cloud particle type. Currently there are issues with the existing solutions because we are lacking something that can base its shading from the position, scale and velocity of the particles and output a nice high contrast set of values. also velocity stretching would be of great help (or a way to blend between particles based on their velocity to keep the number of total particles low).

proper volume illumination and FG evaluation would go a long way too.

oh yeah SSS would be nice as well and if possible all of this to give a good GL feedback...

Rumr
07-04-2008, 09:35 AM
were can i find out how to install these on mac new OS maya 2008

tharrell
07-07-2008, 07:40 PM
To install the shaders on the Mac, do the following:

-Navigate to /Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/

-Right click the Maya application and choose "show package contents"

-Navigate to /Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/Maya/Contents/mentalray/

-Copy the Universal compiled .so into /Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/Maya/Contents/mentalray/lib/

-Copy the .mi file into /Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/Maya/Contents/mentalray/include/

-Close all windows

-Navigate to /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2008/

-Copy any .mel files into /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2008/scripts/

-Copy any .xpm or .bmp files into /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2008/icons/

-Make sure you read the shader's installation instructions and copy over any other necessary files to where they belong within /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2008/

Unlike old versions, Maya 8 and higher will automatically link in new shaders installed in this manner.

Make certain that you're using the Universal compile of the shader's .so file -- this is the only piece that is different between PPC and Intel or Universal versions of these shaders. Without a universal compiled .so, the shader will fail to load on an Intel mac -- most of the shaders out there will be bundled with a PPC only .so file.

If you're using Pixero's big collection of shaders, the universal .so's are included in a single, separate archive for now (toward the middle of his download page). Make sure you don't use the .so that comes with the individual shader downloads -- except for mix20layers -- and then still make sure you're using the universal version.

Hope this helps,

Trey

tom_c
01-14-2009, 12:16 AM
BlasT: Tom Cowland has a few OSX shaders at his site. If its not there I'm afraid there is no OSX version. Not sure why franscesca doesnt want to compile (or let others compile) for OSX.

Hey folks, been a while, but finally managed to start getting some intel compiles of some of the shaders on my site... In an amusing way, I dont actually have Maya on intel at the moment, but I can compile shaders for 'ray. So far, its just the LM2dmv and my curvature shader.

Give me a shout if there are any more requests!

:)
t

zkanal
01-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you Tom!
Mix8Layer would be very appreciated as an intel compile.

marlaS
06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey folks, been a while, but finally managed to start getting some intel compiles of some of the shaders on my site... In an amusing way, I dont actually have Maya on intel at the moment, but I can compile shaders for 'ray. So far, its just the LM2dmv and my curvature shader.

Give me a shout if there are any more requests!

:)
t

Hi Tom, thank you, I have a problem with tc-curvature on a 64bit system, is there a way to get it?

cgbeige
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
thanks Tom - works great here. nice seeing all these new OS X compiles of MR shaders. A few years ago, it was pretty dire.

cgbeige
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
none of the pixero MR shaders that I've tried work. I tried JSWood2, flatcolor and the exposure control lens shader and they all choke renders. I know they're installed correctly - this isn't the first time I'm installing MR shaders and TC_curvature works fine. I'm on Maya 2009 SP1a OS X

joie
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Any news on curvature shader compile for win 64?

sevver
12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
hello
any chance to T2S_illumination shader for linux x64 version compile ?
plaese :)

Pixero
12-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi!
Due to lack of time I have asked www.mymentalray.com (http://www.mymentalray.com) to host and update my shaders.
You should put your requests to them.
(Also remember that the source for all my shaders are included in the zip file so if you know how you can compile them yourself. Read more how at www.lamrug.org (http://www.lamrug.org) or www.mymentalray.com (http://www.mymentalray.com))
For shaders that I only made maya files for you need to ask the respective writer for an update. See the read me included with the shaders for the name of them.

Good luck.

Jan

www.pixero.com (http://www.pixero.com)

joie
02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I've downloaded zBump from your site (I haven't found anything on mymentalray.com) and it doesn't work. Since I don't know if it is compiled for win 64 bit or not I can't be sure if it's my fault so..., Is there a 64 bit version out there?.

Thank's in advance.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.