PDA

View Full Version : unwrapping speed problem (3ds max)

ania
08-15-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm unwrapping a big object with many faces, and in the unwrap editor, each time when I move, weld, rotate or do something else with one or more vertex, I have to wait 10 seconds until I see the effect and until I can edit the next vertex. It's very annoing and a waste of time.
Is there any way to speed that up?
I already unchecked sync to viewport in the editor and turned off "show map", this made it a bit faster, but it's still extremely slow.

Please help!

Another question (but not so important):
Is there a way to turn off the vertex handles in the unwrap editor? I don't need them there. (object is an Editable Patch).

EricChadwick
08-16-2004, 03:19 PM
It is generally preferrable to Unwrap a lower-detail model, then add detail afterwards, via Meshsmooth or somesuch. I haven't worked with patches in a long time, but I think you can reduce the number of steps for the viewport (used by Unwrap) and at the same time increase the number of steps for the renderer only.

Also to remove the tangents, try adding a Turn to Poly modifier to the patch model, then a new UVW Unwrap on top of that. Not sure though if that would collapse properly.

ania
08-16-2004, 05:35 PM
I have that, I have the meshsmooth on the very top of the modifier stack, so the unwrap isn't affected by it. but it's still very many vertices.

I noticed that the speed doesn't depend on the number of vertices which I edit. Seems like he always updates the whole model after editing a little part of it. Is that possible? If yes, can I turn that off?

I'll try to make the turn to poly, thanks for the advice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.