PDA

View Full Version : the purpose of modeling?

cg_davinci
08-15-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could tell me in what cases it is necessary to model first using a modeler (when you are already planning to use a ray tracer like POV-ray to create your image)? Is it when the scene is sufficiently complex? If so, what is a good "litmus test" for that? Or, is it primarily done when creating an animation? Or both?

Thanks for any feedback.

pnoland
08-15-2004, 03:24 AM
Wha? You're asking why people model first before using a raytracer to create an image? I guess you could make a picture from primatives in povray but that would make for one unholy boring image. The models usually give the scene it's character...great lighting and rendering is one thing but if you have horrible or no models at all then the image will be totally lacking. Modeling and texturing are a huge part of creating a great image. Once you have those two done THEN worry about your lighting and rendering. I hope I didn't misunderstand your question...if I did then this is good advice anyway. ;)

pnoland

cg_davinci
08-15-2004, 03:28 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Well, to explain where I'm coming from, I was asked to create an image once as a class project (no animation) and it was a single object so absolutely no one in the class modeled it but it was only an introductory course so didn't go too deep into ray tracing.

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.