PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp#9 - Rhinoceros - African/Roman Gladiator

KolbyJukes
08-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi everybody.

I know I'm entering this late, but I should be capable of getting everything done on time.

Here's my concept:

The year is 80 AD, Emperor Titus rules with an iron fist over the vast entirety of the Roman Empire. Meanwhile on the plains of East Africa, a great warrior chief rules over his chosen people: the ancient tribe of the Kumasi.
His name is Faais, a legendary figure, revered and worshipped by his subjects - a god-like figure in the mythology of his tribe. His coming was foretold centuries ago: the elders spoke of a remarkable child: half man, half rhinocerous - a child of the gods, who would lead their people to salavation. Faais was not born of woman or beast, he simply appeared one day, on the outskirts of the Kumasi village, on the edge of a watering hole. The Kumasi found the child and raised him - training him to be a great warrior.
Emperor Titus' legions march though Africa, laying claim to the land and slaughtering entire villages. It was during a bloody skirmish with Roman legionaires that the Kumasi tribe was exterminated and Faais was captured; The Legion's Centuriate left Kumasi just barely alive - he would be given as a gift to Emperor Titus, and compete in the great gladatorial games. Now Kumasi lives only for Vengeance, the last of his kind, he has sworn revenge on the Centuriate and Titus himself...

So the basic concept is: An African White Rhino, standing on his hind legs, dressed in a mixture of African Tribal garments and Samnite Roman Gladatorial armor. He'll have extensive body paint and ritualistic tatooing, as well as significant scarring. I know the gladatorial games don't exactly qualify as a war, but they are military/battle oriented.

I'll post some shots of the model today.

-Kol.

KolbyJukes
08-14-2004, 08:31 PM
ok, here's a couple hours of work, about 2k right now, but haven't done any optimization

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino%201.jpg

KolbyJukes
08-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Adding bits of the costume and blocking out colors.

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/Rhino%202.jpg

dafonz
08-14-2004, 10:32 PM
thats looking sweet, is that 2000 triangles or polys?
i think the shield on his left hand could have a better shape...other than that its good!
could u post some wires?

KolbyJukes
08-14-2004, 10:35 PM
2000 tris. Now it's hovering around 3000 tris though with the accessories. All quads for now, till I get it into Zbrush, then I'll go back and optimize.

The shield is called a scutum, which is the kind of shield this kind of Gladiator commonly carried, a rectangular shield, I'm not so big on the shape either, I might switch it to a circular shield.

K, so for right now I'm done with the Low, tomorrow I'll unwrap and start the zbrush sculpt.

-Kol.

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/wires.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/Rhino%203.jpg

YerEvilTwin
08-14-2004, 11:15 PM
I likes. There are a few places that I would have not put so many polys. Example: tip of horn, round thing on the sword, crotch hanging thing. I know it will look nice after its done. I have a question for you that needs answering though. How did you do the hair on thr "arm" texture on your website?

KolbyJukes
08-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I haven't optimized it yet, will fix those things.

The hair was hand painted, I just randomly painted a flow of streaks in PS, using standard hard edged circular brush, then lowered opacity and blended.

nothing special.

-Kol.

Heber
08-15-2004, 01:03 AM
i saw it this on your sig and followed, cool to see you trying out the low poly modeling , i cant wait to see what you do with this in zb. i have a question for you now...for your characters when painting textures, did you sample photos or is it all painted from scratch i want to know because your textures look so good and im really trying to learn how to be a good tex. artist so i want to know how you go about it, anyways good stuff kol. hope to see updates soon..ill keep an eye on this one :)

KolbyJukes
08-15-2004, 06:21 PM
i saw it this on your sig and followed, cool to see you trying out the low poly modeling , i cant wait to see what you do with this in zb.
I'm not exactly trying this stuff out, I do this at work also.
Anyway, yeah, all my textures are hand painted. On the Beast there is a bit of photo, some sort of elephant skin that i used to break up the colors a bit (using a soft light transfer).

Anyway, updates tomorrow.

-Kol.

LoTekK
08-16-2004, 01:11 AM
That's a nice looking mesh you've got there. Shouldn't the sword be holstered on his left hip, though?

dafonz
08-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Thats beautiful topology. I agree with LoTekk that the sword should be on his left hip

KolbyJukes
08-16-2004, 03:40 PM
I don't think Im ever going to have him sheath it, he'll just carry it around with him. I mean, how often is a gladiator going to sheath his sword when he's fighting. I was just placing it there, cause I couldn't think where else to place it.

Anyway, updates soon.

-Kol.

Neil
08-17-2004, 05:08 AM
i think it would be more rhino like if you just went straight hoofs and didn't make it look like feet. Ala Doom cyber demon style.

dur23
08-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Nice work kwak. That topology is real nice and sexy, just the way i like it.
Give the poor bastard a knee cap and some toes already! ;)

KolbyJukes
08-17-2004, 11:57 PM
K,
I spent the remaining 500 tris on improving the body and adding more definition. I also rigged him - I love it his shoulders work so well for once.

Dur23, done and done!
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/Rhino%205.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino%204.jpg

Bigglzee
08-18-2004, 07:12 AM
Sweet work man, right on target too ;)

Cannot wait for the textures!

Supervlieg
08-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I like the rigging, looks like he has some good deformations. I like the new foot by the way, definitely adds to the Rhino feeling.

Hows the texture coming along? Are you doing a displacement map in z-brush?

neversong
08-18-2004, 04:53 PM
hey, kwak. looking nice. can't wait to see it after zbrush.

cheers,

-Hwasup song

dur23
08-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Great update KWAK.

One other thing would be lets see what he looks like with that mouth open. Does he have some teeth? Cause in battle people have a tendancy to yell, so it would be a real inhibitor if he can't get all yelly on the enemies ass...:)

BurrowingDuck
08-18-2004, 07:26 PM
the only thing I can crit is that his right arm seems to be covered in metal, so how is he bending it?

KolbyJukes
08-18-2004, 09:36 PM
It's some kind of chainmail:

http://www.murphsplace.com/gladiator/glads.html

A Samnite carried a sword or a lance, a scutum (the rectangular shield used by Roman legionary soldiers),a metal helmet, and protective armor on his right arm and left leg.

koroko
08-19-2004, 04:05 AM
Thats amazing, everything fits perfectly, that poses show sooo much character...great man!

now beat dur23īs polycount monster entry with zbrush :P

subscribed...this gonna be good... :)

ciao!

CHROMOSOME
08-19-2004, 02:37 PM
sweet! Would you mind posting a wire of just the shoulder joint? I love the way it deforms, especially when the arm crosses over the torso. Awesome.

KolbyJukes
08-19-2004, 07:49 PM
K, I finished upwrapping him. Here's the base colors. The geo is final.

I'm starting the normal map sculpt and textures tonight.
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/RHINO11.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/RHINO10.jpg

AndyH
08-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Great proportions, nice design and i especially like the feet.
This could look hella ace when textured, and judging from the other stuff youve made, itll look amazing!

Is this your first low poly character? I aint seen you around on the games forum...

KolbyJukes
08-20-2004, 12:23 AM
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/Rhino%20normal%20mapped.jpg

VERY quick pass at hi-poly leg, and a quicky texture. Only got to work on this for about an hour.
Andy, no this aint my first low poly, I work at Raven Software doing High and Low poly characters. I don't hang much in the games forum.

I'll update tomorrow with some more frantic modeling/texturing :)

-Kolby.

hanzo
08-20-2004, 01:20 AM
KWAK excellent idea ( Rhinoceros Gladiator ) I was actually waiting for this one,

dude you have professional topology. The character shaping is deviously cool to the poly count, with textures and normal mapping your entry should fly this competition, almost makes me wish I would have entered the competition as a contender instead of a judge just so I could have challenged my modeling skillz, in an even more imaginative competition..

;) I'll be watching.

GriNGoLoCo
08-20-2004, 03:18 AM
omg you are working on Quake4! :buttrock: :applause: ( I assume that of course).

by the way cool rhino dude man.

AndyH
08-20-2004, 05:58 AM
you better start thinking of ideas for the next comp, son....

Id say you and supervlieg are neck and neck at the mo.

I think the whole competition needs a kick up the arse - out of the huge amount of entries, only half a dozen are still being worked on.

glynnsmith
08-20-2004, 06:33 AM
i have to agree...this is going to look too cool when textured...

i really like the top pose in post #15 where he's leaning on the sword...the shoulders and chest look awesome...and your mesh looks really clean too... :D

definately a top contender, for sure...

G...

KolbyJukes
08-20-2004, 11:46 PM
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino%2012.jpg

played with textures a little. Tomorrow I'm going hardcore and sculpting and texturing most of the character.

Bigglzee
08-21-2004, 01:18 AM
ubuuuh? 0.o

AndyH
08-21-2004, 01:45 AM
.......:eek:

There is a god! And thy name is Kwak!

Better start thinking of an idea for the next comp.....

Any chance of a tutorial or some pointers? thems some reet good textures! Did you use zbrush for the actual colour map? or is that just skillfull UVing / Painting? Also, are you using max?
Id love to see your methods.

Bigglzee
08-21-2004, 04:48 AM
^ditto^

Im intrugued.

KolbyJukes
08-21-2004, 04:02 PM
lol.

I'll do a tut eventually. I don't really have any special tricks. No, I didn't use zbrush for the textures. just good old photoshop. This ain't really my best texturing, this was just an hour or so messing around. I'm using XSI.

i'm working on this all day today so check back for constant updates.

KolbyJukes
08-21-2004, 06:41 PM
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/RHINO%2013.jpg

a little update.

Pezz3D
08-21-2004, 07:09 PM
So where do I sign to join your fanclub?

KolbyJukes
08-21-2004, 07:58 PM
lol. Here's another update.

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/Rhino%2014.jpg

Oldbean
08-21-2004, 08:24 PM
You had me at rhinocerous :applause:

Apart from the funny looking feet (thats low-poly models for ya) its looking really life-like. Yeah, looks just like one of the real-life rhinocerous gladiators of old.

The subtle specks of blood make it look really gritty. Good stuff :thumbsup:

Only other problem for me is on his cup/crotch protection/thing. The symbol looks weird, I can't put my finger on it just looks plastic-like, and the mirroring (of the texture) is really obvious at the moment. I know this is a WIP though so I'll leave you to it.

KolbyJukes
08-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Some good crits Oldbean, thanks, I will address those soon.

Anyway, here's the last update for the day. The normal map shaders are causing me headaches and I'm worn out. The torso is not nearly done. Still a lot of detail to add to the tex.

I'll probably work some more tomorrow.

Cheers.

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/Rhino%2015.jpg

Heber
08-21-2004, 11:31 PM
whoa hadnt checked this in a while,, i love your textures man , they are looking really good , and yeah those specks of blood add so much to his character, hope to see more soon :)

Mirandinha
08-22-2004, 01:44 AM
This thread just keeps getting better and better! Amazing work as usal Mr. Jukes! Incredible how much attitude you can get out of so little detail (earlier untextured poses)! Keep it up! :bounce:

koroko
08-22-2004, 02:57 AM
Loving the results so far kol...

Iīll check if thatīs the right amount of wrinkles on that "skirt", to me looks like thereīs too many...or maybe not, checking your last two pics, the newer seems to be different...anyway, not sure, but may it be cause the type of vertical wrinkle...duknow....XD

Just a silly Q, where your avatarīs pic come from?

later..

Pezz3D
08-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Don't go into any dark alleys, I'll beat you up and steal your skills.

Supervlieg
08-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Looking good Kwak. This is going to be a tough one to beat. Good luck in the remainder of the competition!

Heber
08-25-2004, 06:26 AM
hey man i see your beast made it this month on the softimage gallery congrats....keep it coming

KolbyJukes
08-25-2004, 03:10 PM
yeah, i was pretty surprised i won...very cool.

Neil
08-25-2004, 07:44 PM
argh... now what fun is a competition with an entry this sweet about go in? ;)
I really see little point in finishing, haha.

KolbyJukes
08-25-2004, 07:49 PM
lol don't stop working now Neil, I don't think I'm going to be finishing this one, it's crunch time at work, and I don't got me much spare time these days.

...but I'll see what i can do.

-kol

KolbyJukes
08-28-2004, 12:10 AM
K, I'm actually gonna finish this piece of shit:

here's a little update, not sure about the leather on the arm.
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino20.jpghttp://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino21.jpg

CHRiTTeR
08-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Wow! :eek: verry cool!

Only crit would be that the armour on his leg looks more like wet stone then metal... :D

AndyH
08-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Looks outstanding!
The legs are some of the finest low poly limbs ive ever seen! Amazing texturing!
I think the leather looks fine - my only crit is that the chest / collarbone looks kinda wierd - like theres a light underneath it or something.
Just geddit finished and posed quick! I dont think theres much more you can do - it looks ace as it is.

KolbyJukes
08-28-2004, 01:09 AM
yeah, about the collar bone, i think i had the light placed at an odd angle, you'll notice in the other render it doesn't looks so strange.

k, i'm out for the night. later fellas.

KolbyJukes
08-28-2004, 06:01 PM
A little update for you guys viewing the thread:

http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino%2021.jpg

AndyH
08-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Looks spot on now. Just get his belt and weapon mapped, render off some nice poses and wires, and think of what youre gonna do for the next comp!

I think youre in with a pretty good chance. Only a few are close to this quality, and many, many entries look as if they wont make the deadline.

Is his skin normal mapped or something? it looks really detailed, yet your WIP shots are viewport caps?!

Outstanding work! Id love to see him in doom 3 :scream:

glynnsmith
08-28-2004, 07:14 PM
i have to say it looks pretty impressive...the last render i saw was the leg shot, and this just looks great...

if this guy was running for you in Doom3, you'd move out of the way

i think that nappy looks a bit silly though... :D

great work :)

G...

Oldbean
08-28-2004, 07:38 PM
S-weeeeeeeet :buttrock:

Why'd you get rid of the crotch guard thing? Though it does look a little better without :shrug:

Everything looks great though, except the tattoos. They look a little weird to me at the moment. Probably just me though :thumbsup:

hanzo
08-28-2004, 11:30 PM
I used to fantasize as a little kid about being a cool Gladiator, man shoot this would be cheating, this guy would take the toughest out! and no one could kick his ass but old age,
I'm imagining a hole story about guy as I speak..

I don't know what to say, is this normal mapping?! if not forgive my bad memory in any case that only reflects on how good your painting the textures, could you make tut?..

all I can say is that your doing a perfect job, and I can't wait to see it done.

KolbyJukes
08-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Added some arrows, lost the shoulder pad, still have to do the sword and some cleanup in the next couple days.
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino30.jpg
http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kol/Pic_MiN/rhino29.jpg

AndyH
08-29-2004, 11:35 PM
:thumbsup: Excellent!

The arrows really add to it, and the whole thing is just great. Excellent looking belt thing too.
The beauty render is a bit poor and doesnt really show off your model in my opinion... Nice idea, but the lighting doesnt match, and the motion blur looks really cheap.

But thats not gonna stop you from winning!!

For the sake of eye candy, i reckon a darker background would be more atmospheric and do the model more justice than being in daylight, and being compared to a photo.

Congrats on finishing it and making it look so damn amazing!

KolbyJukes
08-29-2004, 11:42 PM
good points andy, i'll look for a better photo to comp it into. I just wanted to do a shot of him charging somebody.

AndyH
08-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Yeah - i know what you mean. I think the pose needs to be a bit more dynamic - he kinda looks like hes going to kneel down or something at the mo - exaggerate it some more. I think cos youre comping it onto a photo you are limited by the angle.
Try a shot of him charging towards the camera with photo elements behind him, but make his body take up the majority of the shot - put some saliva or sweat / dust around him to show the power and fury of this thing. He looks kinda docile and calm at the mo. Look at anime / comic books for pose ideas - it works wonders with me!

Dont forget - its a beauty render, so you can photoshop it to your hearts content!

Pezz3D
08-30-2004, 05:28 AM
oh wow,
I'm speechless,
Might as well just bend over.

neversong
08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
hehe, nice job, Kwak.

Normal mapping is cool.

how about a wrist band on his left arm? :)

cheers,

-Hwasup Song

Neil
08-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Since there was no real sense of scale in the prior renders, I thought that he was much taller and massive. But now that i see how big the arrow feathers are, he looks smaller in stature. I would scale them down more, that way he appears larger and more menacing.

KolbyJukes
08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
good point neil, will do. I had always thought of him as being quite huge as well.

jfalconer
08-30-2004, 06:49 PM
that is a very, very nice piece of work. More from wherever that came from, please. :eek:

Mirandinha
08-31-2004, 05:02 AM
More...
More....
More.....
:drool:

You rock! :buttrock:

KolbyJukes
08-31-2004, 07:30 PM
I'll update later today or maybe tomorrow. I'm not overly happy with the model at the moment. I gotta redo a bunch of textures, but I should get it all done by the 5th.

-Kol.

dafonz
09-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Thats pretty awesome, I havent been on cgtalk for a while and I'm really impressed with how far its come along. You have a very good shot at winning.

igopavlov
09-03-2004, 01:01 AM
I would look at the real rino head and muscular human body more like as a starting point for the design and then push it more towards imaginative originality than just into a plane combination.

Heber
09-04-2004, 02:07 AM
I would look at the real rino head and muscular human body more like as a starting point for the design and then push it more towards imaginative originality than just into a plane combination.
:rolleyes:

Jesse-Irvin
09-04-2004, 03:35 AM
:rolleyes:
:applause:

anyway... Kol Glad ya finished it. Looks sweet as usual....

you bastard...

BlackNull
09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Nice job kol! I'm all excited to try out some low polys for my demo now haha

Tad
09-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Hey you really nailed the rigging on this one! good job!

BeCOOL_MiN
09-08-2004, 03:51 AM
COOL~*

It looks so sweet.

....So, Let me animate~ this big guy!

combatmantra
09-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Great work :thumbsup: , i specially like the rhino skin and the strenght of the character.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.