PDA

View Full Version : some fields please ?

igord2
08-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi all,
just dropped here and already looking for a help :sad:

I have 3 QT movies rendered at 29,97 FPS without fields and what I need is 25 FPS footage with fields (even first). Reason I need that is that animation without fields looks too "jumpy" when I play it on TV. Problem is not in FPS because I can correct that with the interpret command in AE but can I get fields from those frames ? Spent some time playing around in AE but I didnt found the solution. Is there solution which would make fields from frames ?

Thanks in advance and BR to community :thumbsup: !

bartrobinson
08-14-2004, 05:40 AM
I think you're missing what fields really are. A field is just an image taken every 1/50th of a second PAL (1/59.97th of a second NTSC) which happens to be half the height of a full frame. Two sequential fields get interlaced together alternating every other line to generate a full frame. If your original video sequence only has 29.97 images per second (NTSC with no fields), you can't just change a setting and get 50 images per second (PAL with fields). Well, you can't, that is, unless you have software that very accurately interpolates frames/fields in video sequences. Your basic After Effects, Combustion, DFX+ can't do that accurately. RE:vision Twixtor and Realviz ReTimer can. They are your only hope of getting CLEAN ACCURATE retiming and field/frame interpolation. Other much more expensive systems Inferno, Quantel, etc. do quite a nice job as well, but are probably beyond your budget.

To close, I'd probably retime/interpolate from 29.97 to 50 frames per second then interlace to 25 frames per second (50 fields per second).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.