PDA

View Full Version : 3965 (train), Reinier Lensink (3D)

Reinier
08-13-2004, 11:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/53035/53035_1092435613_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/53035/53035_1092435613.jpg)

Title: 3965 (train)
Name: Reinier Lensink
Software: 3dsmax 5, Brazil, Photoshop

Hi, this is my first time posting my 3d work here at cgtalk.com and i have to say i'm pretty nervous. :D

This is a steam locomotive i have just finished. It's based on the Challenger Class locomotives from America. Modelling was pretty straightforward... extruding and chamfering simple shapes and some lofting.

I learned alot about optimizing my geometry and textures because i got some rendering problems after awhile. (textures becoming white etc.) These problems were quickly eliminated with the help of the 3dsmax thread here at cgtalk. So after deleting alot of backfaces it all worked fine again.

Well i hope you all enjoy it and comments are more then welcome!

Reinier.

Guillermo
08-14-2004, 01:34 AM
WOOOOWW

Simply OUTSTANDING model man!! Great detail and lighting :thumbsup:

JesseDavis
08-14-2004, 02:01 AM
very very nice. Congrats

SpaXe
08-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Don't be nervous, for you have done a great job!

Dennik
08-14-2004, 04:35 AM
Wow, lots of details! This must have taken forever. Great model and textures. Don't be nervous, you're got the talent Reinier :)

Dennik
08-14-2004, 04:37 AM
Damn i hate when i do spelling mistakes, specially now that Leonard removed the edit button! :banghead: I have to type slower than i think...

Reinier
08-14-2004, 06:26 AM
Thank you all for your responses. :)

I'm doing 3d for a pretty long time now, but i never ever finished something because of work and school. It also meant that i wasnt sure wether or not i could get this finished the way i had in mind.

I'm going to take a break for a few days and then i wil begin on a new 3d project. My modelling of the human figure needs alot practice...

Again thank you, this motivates me to move on.

Reinier.

thx1138
08-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Nervous ? Happens to all of us I think, but you have got some serious good stuff to back it up. Absolutely stunning. The modeling, the texturing all of it :thumbsup:

JRBRAZ
08-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Great modeling. Lot of details.

Congratulations for your work. :thumbsup:

newone
08-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah! Very good modeling. I like the details too.

Dene of Terror
08-14-2004, 11:35 PM
very nice image!!!

any chance of some wires?

Reinier
08-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Yep, tommorow i'm home again so then i will post some wires.

I would love to see some serious critique, there must be something that needs improving.

Cya

blutack
08-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Wow great work man! the details and textures are superb! :thumbsup:

Reinier
08-15-2004, 10:57 AM
'lo all!

here are some screengrabs and wire renders. The background and sky was painted in photoshop. After i rendered it... i found it to be a bit lifeless so i also painted in little stones on the concrete slabs and some grass alongside the rails in photoshop.

If you want more wires or close-ups of certain areas. Just ask.
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/3500/up_wire1.jpg
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/738/up_wire_shading.jpg
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/7058/up_wire_big.jpg

thank you,

Reinier

Guybrush
08-16-2004, 02:16 AM
amazing image, could u show it on a bigger resolution?!

Darktwin
08-16-2004, 03:30 AM
Wow great work, man I have so much freakin work to do!!! :bowdown:

Reinier
08-16-2004, 12:02 PM
@Guybrush: I will put a bigger image online as soon as possible.

seger
08-16-2004, 01:29 PM
I can only line up with the rest of you complimenters. Looking forward to seeing your next post. Perhaps the sky could need a bit of work and I'm wondering what would happen if you gave the image something that would drag it out of the postcard-atmosphere that it seems to have now. Not that it matters that much. Prachtig man!

RAF
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Fantastic! Iím a great Fan of old machines, especially of big steam locomotives!

You did a great texture job! Maybe the treat of the wheels could be not so dirty. Ballast instead of sand under the Rails would also be nice ... but what I am talking ... great image :thumbsup:

Reinier
08-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Sorry, was busy making sketches for the next image.

@RAF: I fully agree with you that Ballast would look a way lot better, but i had to stop and render it because i'm on a tight schedule. There are cases that sand coveres the ballast... so it's not totally wrong but some more stones would definately make it more realistic.

@Seger: Hmmm. The more and more i'm thinking about it... maybe i will return to this image one day and add the things that are missing and also make it more dynamic. I got an idea.

Thank you for you good comments.

Cya!

Reinier

Dene of Terror
08-22-2004, 06:05 PM
thanks for posting wires!

Dr. Ira Kane
08-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Amazing, the detalis are great, nice work !

Sutekh
08-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Incredible detail work. I'm looking forward to the larger image. :)

Richard.

mmiller
08-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Reiner
Great subject
I love these old machines

The rendering looks pretty nice to me.
But, maybe you could use a little more variation in the weathering.
looks a little monmochromatic now.
yeah, i know the things were black on black
but maybe a little rust.
I don't know, but I think if you introduced a little more color it might make for a more interesting image.

any brass - like the bell up front?
that would be nice

also there are some shiny/oily parts like on the valve gear
maybe you could push that a little for some more variety.

and for me - this image is about the machine.
I think the sky is perhaps a little too strong
kind of draws attention away.
even though it is strongly directional with those cloud lines drawing you in.
still ... I would probably look for something less dramatic.
But, this definitly a subjective thing.

are you going to make some more images with this model?
It looks like a goldmine to me.
I'd render it to death :)

in any case
Very nice work
and i hope to see more

Z1K0B4
08-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Nice image! I love the model and lighting, but I have a problem with the sand texture in the foreground right. The brightness/hue of it looks wrong in the image and is the one of the only weak spots in my opinion. You could place something off camera right (tree/sign of something) that cast a shadow on that area and it would help 'suspend the disbelief'. Really nice work though!

PeterSanitra
08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I think the texture is still too bright

Reinier
08-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi again,

@mmiller: I was delighted to read your comment. This picture is finished in a way that i can put it in my portfolio for now... but, It's not finished the way i wanted. I just need some extra time :)

I have done some sketches and tests when i was not working on another image. Alot of things you have pointed out in your reply will be changed, improved and i will add new elements. (Compostion!, colors, a few textures, shading, background, steam?)

@Z1K0B4: Thank you :), As you have read above alot of things will be changed. and i will look at the problem.

BTW. Would the WIP section be a nice place to continue? although the modelling and texturing is "completed"?

(Very good comments and critique, i thank you all for this.)

Gotta go now. Cya.

Reinier.

Proteo
08-27-2004, 02:52 PM
amazing!! the wires look very good :thumbsup:

Ecleposs
09-04-2004, 09:19 PM
good work man...keep it up

:) :thumbsup:

Skyraider3D
09-29-2004, 01:07 AM
That's a very nice image, Reinier! I agree with Mark's comments on the monochromatic looks, but on the other hand it does create a nice style this way. Textures may need some darkening down, too. The only thing I really don't like is the background image, just in front of the locomotive. What is going on there? It looks as if you crudely painted out something there?

Other than that, great modelling/lighting/texturing! :thumbsup:

LondonCarlos
10-05-2004, 01:45 AM
* Brilliant!
* Is it animatable?
* Will you be selling it? There's got to be strong demand for these Big Boy machines!
* Any plans to make another loco in the future? I have an idea but not the time...

Vahle
10-29-2004, 03:06 AM
Very great train. Many details, very nice textures :thumbsup:

Reinier
10-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi all!

Thanks again for the compliments and critique ;)

I dont think i will be doing any work of this kind for awhile. if i wanetd to do another train image it should be telling more of a story. Currently i'm busy with work but i will have some more time in a couple of weeks... aaand hopefully i will create another image. Looking at my sketches it will probably be more characterbased... at least more organic and dynamic in nature.

thank you,

- Reinier

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.