PDA

View Full Version : advice on painter classic oil color

DocBoom
08-04-2002, 12:06 AM
hereīs my first attempt at painter classicīs oil paint, based on a tony stone image (here: http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/search/resultsmain.asp?txtSearch=ar3262-001&source=quickSearch&brand=tsi&UQR=wfmwcm )
my question is, does this picture need more detail, or arenīt oil colors suited for fine detail anyway?
the pic: http://www.85hertz.de/bilder/ramphastos.jpg
thanx! :)

roel
08-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Depends on your point of view, doesn't it? I think Willink and Rembrandt would have said it needs more detail, whereas Van Gogh would say it could do with less. And they all used oils, I believe. ;)

jeroentje
08-04-2002, 09:15 AM
I think it is not a question of detailing , but more a question of colorbalance.

The piece would become a lot better if you would make the background a lighter, so that the bird doesn't disapear in it. It is all the same tone now and it looks rather flat.

Try work some of the colors of the bird (a bit of red I mean) through the back aswell, and some of the green of the back into the birds body. It may ruine the piece, it could also be just what it needs, so try this in a copy of it and don't give up too easily. Letting your colors run all over your painting is a whole different way of thinking. I only have the gutts to do it with fast markersketches myself. Take a look at the old expressionists (or sleepless's work ;) ) for that.

And try to put some shape in the birds body. It's just a blob of black now.

Good luck, have fun and keep updating,
jeroentje

DocBoom
08-04-2002, 01:40 PM
thanx for the replies!

roel: yes youīre right. I realized that myself yesterday evening (after posting doh). The portrait painters used oil paints and did lots of detail.

jeroentje: youīre right (too :) ). The background is quite dark, especially compared to the photo. I must admit, that while drawing the background i somewhat got lost between all those leaves... here some yellow, over there a darker green, blue.... argh... :surprised
I just saw sleeplessī beast of burden and iīm amazed, iīm still puzzling if he does this by hand (with real tools) or on the computer.

jeroentje
08-04-2002, 02:02 PM
For as far as I know Sleepless just uses Painter and Photoshop, just like you and me...
(Sorry if I am mistaken, Sleepless ;) )

And my reply on your piece made me realize I should step outside my usual styles and start working on something much more expressieve for a good exercise. So I thank you for that. I will start a new thread with it's done.

cheers, jeroentje

Sleepless
08-04-2002, 07:40 PM
>>For as far as I know Sleepless just uses Painter and Photoshop, just like you and me...
(Sorry if I am mistaken, Sleepless )

You are correct...Just Photoshop 7.0. Painter7 has me confused. Iv'e Been playing with it, but I keep throwing the images in the recycle bin. I do paint all of my paying illustration work with acrylics, but hope to do more and more digitally.:)

DocBoom
08-05-2002, 12:06 PM
I guess doing it all in digital raises a resolution issue. If you have a 'real' work you can always do a higher resolution scan, but in a digital work you have to take what its created in. Hmm... say a DIN A3 in print resolution 342 dpi and cmyk thats 86,4 mb. Now with multiple working layers... iīm not sure if my machine could handle this fast enough to work smooth.

jeroentje
08-05-2002, 12:13 PM
So why don't you merge all your layers in a copy then?
But for a printout, 342(?)dpi is not nessecary. You can use 304dpi cmyk for pre-press work. 200dpi RGB is more then enough for a print. Most printers are set to printing an RGB image anyway.

jeroentje
(waiting for an update)

DocBoom
08-05-2002, 12:24 PM
oops wrong word - meant press not print. I learned in school: 342 dpi for scans, to have some freedom for scaling. I guess this is true for digital paintings, also. And merging layers is ok, but only when its done. I usually paint different elements on different layers. Linework and color also. And I experienced that, when I draw fast circles in photoshop they get corners, even in rather small pics.

jeroentje
08-05-2002, 12:38 PM
oops wrong word - meant press not print. I learned in school: 342 dpi for scans, to have some freedom for scaling. I guess this is true for digital paintings, also.
In the end you'll need 304dpi. A little scaling is never a problem.
Keep in mind that in digital painting there is no loss from all the different steps .
Real life -> camera -> print from negative -> scan ->output
is a lot different from
digital painting -> output

You do realize it is not done to copy a stockphoto and use it in a folder or something? You can get into trouble for that.

And merging layers is ok, but only when its done. I usually paint different elements on different layers. Linework and color also.
I meant in a copy. Do "save a copy", save as an EPS or TIFF and print the copy. Not your original PSD (thought this was Painter btw).

And I experienced that, when I draw fast circles in photoshop they get corners, even in rather small pics.
You are probably using a Wacom Graphire 2. I have the same "problem". Move your hand a bit slower when you draw a circle.

Anyway. Now howabout that update?
Cheers, jeroentje

roel
08-05-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jeroentje

You are probably using a Wacom Graphire 2. I have the same "problem". Move your hand a bit slower when you draw a circle.
Cheers, jeroentje

I think that problem occurs with any input device (not just the Graphire 2) when using Photoshop versions prior to 6.0, as the older versions used lines for interpolation (instead of splines). Painter also uses splines.

I still use Photoshop 5.5, though. One only needs to draw a little slower.

DocBoom
08-05-2002, 10:16 PM
ok iīve been pushing colors around, trying to get more detail in. Iīm not sure if its better but hereīs where i got. I think iīll let it there and try to learn to paint fine details first (on a better suited motive).
http://www.85hertz.de/bilder/ramphastos_2.jpg

and on the circles: i am using photoshop 7 and a intuos 2. Concerning slower drawing: sure thatīs right but i figured that, if this effect happens while drawing fast on a small file, it might also happen while drawing slow on a large file :rolleyes: if its an issue of machine power.
on copyright: this is purely for my personal relief and training, no commercial use planed (ainīt good enough anyways)
on the layers: i meant i donīt want to merge them while working on the image. As i use to work with many layers, the image takes up mucho space in working memory.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.