PDA

View Full Version : modeling and right click menu ?

sebek27
08-13-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm considering purchasing XSI 4 Foundation and have a few questions. Running the 30 day trial version - is it possible to put, inset, extrude, loop/ring etc functions into the right-click menu ? also when performing a function this box comes up where you can slide to let's say put 2 cuts, subdivide etc. anyway you can turn this off and actually do this right on the object like in Cinema 4d/max/LW ?

titaniumdave
08-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Nope you can't and to tell you the truth its annoying me. I think I'll take my 495 and spend it towards c4d.

SheepFactory
08-13-2004, 07:59 PM
it is already on the right click menu , click rmb on the component and it'll show up all available modelling commands for that.

Its nothing like c4d though , much better in c4d than xsi!

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:00 PM
if i didn't already have xsi, i would certainly get it right now. who knows how long the deal will be on for and when they will up the price again. it's just too good of an opportunity to miss! good as c4d is, it just doesn't compare to a real high end peice of software like xsi.

SheepFactory
08-13-2004, 08:00 PM
well but is it the right tool for him? , dont listen to hypers like mdme sadie sebek!

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:02 PM
i'm not hyping anything, it's just a really great deal. and then with a user base that includes people like sheep,dave and jaco always on hand to give support and tips, it's a no brainer.

titaniumdave
08-13-2004, 08:02 PM
if i didn't already have xsi, i would certainly get it right now. who knows how long the deal will be on for and when they will up the price again. it's just too good of an opportunity to miss! good as c4d is, it just doesn't compare to a real high end peice of software like xsi.
I have to disagree. XSI's modeling tools are nowhere near as good as c4d. Why do you think XSI is so cheap now and they're throwing in dvds? Because they're scared of c4d.

alphatron
08-13-2004, 08:03 PM
alt+middle click any edge or poly and it will automatically select the loop.

sebek27
08-13-2004, 08:07 PM
cool thx guys.. one major thing that keeps me away from XSI is texturing.. c4d is so easy plus you have all these presets already that come with c4d; maybe a good tutorial that shows how to texture/create materials in XSI would be helpful; it's pretty simple in c4d to even create materials - diffusion, color, luminance, reflection, bump etc kind of straightforward

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:10 PM
xsi texturing really isn't as daunting as it appears. don't forget xsi now also has the texture spheres and library (which imo is a great addition finally). for most basic things you just click on the little button to the right of each channel to add in a texture, kinda just like c4d. as for the node network there are a lot of tutorials on this, and i think the turotial dvd's that come with foundation cover this too. it's not as scary as it seems at first and it is many many times more powerful than c4d. plus you get a uv editor in there too, which c4d doesn't have without bodypaint.

sebek27
08-13-2004, 08:13 PM
how do you access the spheres and the library? i'll try it when I get home
thanks !

SheepFactory
08-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Spheres are under the get menu.

for the library you need to get a pass and check out mapquest.

ThE_JacO
08-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Per is right, XSI's texturing is nowhere as hard as people make it to be, especially with the new TLE, but sadly TLE is not in foundation :sad:

texturing by the rendertree is a pain in the ass, and setting up a render takes a team of TDs.

the only reason I use XSI for infact is that TDs like me can only make cash out of a pipeline when tools like XSI, Maya and Houdini are in use, individuals and small studios are way better off with C4D.

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:17 PM
have a look in Application->Toolbar menu, there's Shader presets, and Shaders

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Per is right, XSI's texturing is nowhere as hard as people make it to be, especially with the new TLE, but sadly TLE is not in foundation :sad:

texturing by the rendertree is a pain in the ass, and setting up a render takes a team of TDs.

the only reason I use XSI for infact is that TDs like me can only make cash out of a pipeline when tools like XSI, Maya and Houdini are in use, individuals and small studios are way better off with C4D.
hehe, you joker Jaco. of course as you'll have already found out sebek, rendering is very easy in XSI. while xsi is good for td's one of it's strengths is that it's good for freelancers too. and don't forget you've always got peopel like Jaco on hand to help you out with any probelms here, so like i said before it's a no brainer right now. i would for sure go for it. it's great value, i mean the tutorials, Mental Ray! Shave... sheesh, it can't be beat for this price.

ThE_JacO
08-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Sadie, foundation doesn't have shave :(
make hair very difficulty

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:29 PM
ah... damn youre' right. but still it's a great deal. and he can at least fake fur using xsi's superior spd handling. of course he never said he needed/wanted hair, so i guess it's not that important.

and of course if he sold his cinema, and lightwave he could afford to buy essentials which does have hair, and many other great features that are streets ahead of lw & cinema.

ThE_JacO
08-13-2004, 08:34 PM
essentials doesn't have hair either.
man it almost looks like you don't want Sebek to stick to Cinema, that is obviously the perfect app for him...

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:37 PM
man i guess i'm just spoilt with Advanced here. hehe. well, it's fair that i should want to share the love of owning xsi isn't it?

SheepFactory
08-13-2004, 08:38 PM
I was thinking that too jaco.

He sure doesnt sound like the same mdme sadie who goes on and on about how the xsi workflow is horrible , especially the rendertree , at the irc

titaniumdave
08-13-2004, 08:42 PM
I'd take what mdme says with a grain of salt sebek. Sure if you have advanced its great but do you have $7000 to spend? Anyways look at his sig, whats first on his mind? C4D.

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:42 PM
well i'm a common user, we all want things to be better in our favourite packages right? i gotta admit it does sound like sheep and jaco are trying to put sebek off, which i don't understand at all. normally you're totally positive about xsi, and how it's perfect for all. i mean you're the guys that usually argue against me in irc saying that it's perfect already. and i think at least i this case, for this price... i mean damn, before i would bitch mostly because of the pricing. but now, there's just no need, this is perfect for sebek, andother like him. i'm surprised we're not seeing more people coming accross from the other apps, lightwave for instance.

ThE_JacO
08-13-2004, 08:43 PM
now, let's try to be serious for a minute...
XSI IS indeed an impressive app, and it's my weapon of choice together with HDN since a while now, but as you know I'm also looking into C4D since a couple of versions, and r9 is nothing less then what I came to expect from a company of dedicated people like maxon.

if I wanted to compare C4D and XSI, now that the prices are sort of levelled, I'd have to say that both boast the best support and the fastest dev cycle in the industry.

my main tool will remain XSI for a while I guess, but still if I wasn't TDing or working on feature films for a living I'd prolly go for C4D.

the modeling in r9 is on par with the top players, rendering is stable and it's a breeze to setup, while the shading system is nowhere close to XSI's rendertree, unless you need really complex surfacing they get you to the same level, but C4D will get those who don't know the logics of a shader there much faster.

the only things I don't like in C4D, and for the time being the only things that prevented me from buying it, are the lack of scripting and the lack of proper rigging tools and options (but then foundation, without the AdvRigs and SCOPs just doesn't work the same way of my advanced for me).

end of the story, if you aren't interested into becoming a characterTD of a certain level, or a shadingTD with a place in a large film studio, C4D will make your life that bit easier and get things done faster for the non pros.

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 08:47 PM
The thing is, i don't think he wants to be a td at all, just an artist, and in those terms XSI is the artists tool of choice. C4D is good, but it is well, frankly a more technical process. XSI just feels right.

sebek27
08-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the insights..
I really like c4d for it's ease of use and i doubt i'll ever do any character animation.. currently I also have Lightwave 8 and i really want to sell it and fully stick with c4D 9 or get XSI. I think C4D will work very well alongside after effects, photoshop and flash. I will mostly do motion graphics work and some product designs so I think XSI is over my head.
By the way I hope C4D 9 has some updates to the flash export.

Thalaxis
08-14-2004, 12:02 AM
i'm surprised we're not seeing more people coming accross from the other apps, lightwave for instance.
Sheesh, it's only been a couple of days! :)

BTW, the training DVD set will be included in the deal for a couple of months, so you don't need to rush. And they do plan to update the entire product line, though they haven't decided on how they plan to price the Foundation upgrade.

I have to admit, this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for the future of LightWave, not after the rather lackluster LW[8] launch. $1500 for LW8, or $500 for XSI Foundation... no brainer if you ask me. It seems to me that that will make it pretty difficult to sell LW to new customers, and I'd be surprised if they didn't lose people to XSI Foundation, as well.

mocaw
08-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Sheesh, it's only been a couple of days! :)

BTW, the training DVD set will be included in the deal for a couple of months, so you don't need to rush. And they do plan to update the entire product line, though they haven't decided on how they plan to price the Foundation upgrade.

I have to admit, this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for the future of LightWave, not after the rather lackluster LW[8] launch. $1500 for LW8, or $500 for XSI Foundation... no brainer if you ask me. It seems to me that that will make it pretty difficult to sell LW to new customers, and I'd be surprised if they didn't lose people to XSI Foundation, as well.
Very true. I would have bought the new foundation version and thought of leaving LW had it not been for the fact that it lacked a few things I use all the time. I've been told there is nothing like LW's HyperVoxels in Foundation. If that is true, this point alone makes it a no-go for me. Hell I'm not even a "super-pro", but some of these things I need. Are there any third party plugs you can slap on XSI foundation to get things like hypervoxels etc? Just asking.

I think that if XSI ran on OSX (which I don't use) it would steal a lot of thunder from C4D, and Maya. Foundation is really going to get those "sometimes a 3D user" people to take a look and buy it. People who do motion graphics, Industrial designers and web stuff etc. People who need a little more juice though and don't have oodles of $...still hard to decide what to do/buy...render nodes are an issue too...

I say that if he can live without the few things he's going to not have from LW and or XSI but needs to have a fast turn around on his work he might want to just go with C4D. C4D seems to have excellent export options for motion graphics and still artists...

retinajoy
08-14-2004, 10:55 AM
mocaw - as far as I can tell from the manual you can do liquids, fire and smoke with particles in the Foundation version if that's what you were using Hypervoxels for in LW. Haven't got that far myself yet as I am still going thru the modelling tools.

mocaw
08-15-2004, 07:57 AM
mocaw - as far as I can tell from the manual you can do liquids, fire and smoke with particles in the Foundation version if that's what you were using Hypervoxels for in LW. Haven't got that far myself yet as I am still going thru the modelling tools.
Maybe I should just download it and see what they are like- that's the best way to know.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.