PDA

View Full Version : Fur, GI and light linking

grafos
08-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi!
I'm trying to render a scenery using fur as grass. I am also using GI Joe for global illumination fake and the standard maya renderer (I'm using paintFX as well). I was hoping to use the relationship editor to unlink the GI Joe lights from the fur, as it gets so slow trying to calculate all these lights.

I've now learned the hard way that fur doesn't support light linking. Doing some research I figured the workaround would be to hide the GI_Joe lights, perform an advanced fur rendering which writes all those files on my hard drive, enable the reading of these files through the fur globals and then happily unhide GI_Joe and render.

The thing is, whenever I enable fur reading through the files created by the advanced fur rendering, the fur just doesn't render at all any more. Am I missing something? Could anybody help, or suggest another workaround for fur light linking?

Thanks alot

grafos
08-16-2004, 03:14 AM
This is getting really furstrating, if anybody can offer any advice, please help:sad:

jeremybirn
08-16-2004, 12:34 PM
When you add fur attributes to a light, it includes a multiplier to the light's illumination that can be 0 to avoid having that light illuminate fur.

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.