PDA

View Full Version : Houdini @ Siggraph 2004

vrljc
08-13-2004, 03:59 AM
Well I gained a whole new respect for SideFX this past week from attending Siggraph. Man those SideFX guys know how to party! If you were @ the party @ Bliss Tuesday night, you know what I mean! :drool: :bounce: :applause:

But other than that, cool things will be coming our way in the next year. If you guys haven't heard about DOPS yet, it is the new dynamics section of Houdini and should be hitting us with the release of v8 whenever that comes out in the future. Everyone at the Houdini Meeting gasped when we saw the real time cloth (yes real time) simulation. Then they took a bunch of cows and hurled em into a big pile. The final pile amounted to well over 1 million polys, (was not real time) but took very little time to calculate and render per frame. I can;t even remember half the new stuff that they were throwing at us such as the new character animation tools in Houdini Select and the muscle system they built for a little rabbit. I could just go on!

I am definately heading back to Siggraph next year just to see what SideFX will doing with their software and with their parties. :thumbsup:

-Jon

sascha
08-14-2004, 12:03 AM
I wish Sidefx would be more up to date with their internet portal. I would like to watch some of their new new feature videos!

kemijo
08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Let's not forget that the various dynamic solvers they are working on (RBD and Cloth are only the first two) will all be concious of each other...

Consider a RBD Sphere flying towards a draping cloth curtain object. In any system I've ever used, the curtain would deform, but it would not impart a force onto the RBD object. In Houdini all of the solvers work together, so in the above example the ball would slow down and drop as expected. At the HUG they showed a RBD ball rolling down a cloth "ramp" and the cloth bowed and respected the weight of the sphere. They even setup the point colour of the cloth to change as more force was imparted on those points by the ball...it looked as if the blue ball was freshly painted and it was painting the cloth as it rolled. The more a ball hit an area, the darker the paint "stain" became. I can see the possibilities now...combine fluids and cloth, or hair... :D

jiversen
08-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Actually, SESI said that the solvers are NOT aware of each other; at least not explicitly. They call their dynamics context "extrovert", which means a solver coded correctly in this context has all the correct hooks to cooperate with ANY other solver, (provided that the solver *can* supports all types of interaction - this may well be related to the nature of the solvers). This is great news because anything new coded will automatically play well with others. :thumbsup:

vrljc
08-17-2004, 03:22 PM
They even setup the point colour of the cloth to change as more force was imparted on those points by the ball...it looked as if the blue ball was freshly painted and it was painting the cloth as it rolled. The more a ball hit an area, the darker the paint "stain" became.

What is even cooler is that the paint "rub-off" part of the simulation has nothing to do with DOPS @ all! I think they mentioned this at the meeting and a SideFX guy confirmed it by telling me that they used the attributetransfer sop to create the paint effect. The sideFX guy told me that you can keframe a ball dropping onto a box and still get that paint "rub-off" effect by using that sop.

Unfortunately I have yet to touch that sop.....but I would love to give it a go and figure out how to do that paint effect.

-jon

MatrixNAN
09-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Hey Guys,

They also had the chain link net mesh that feel over the bunny as part of their new DOPS system. That was awesome. DOPS is going to be great.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

GTudela
09-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Its impossible to me cross the ocean and go to that event, anyone know something about new improvements in Mantra?, or the rendering solution is totally focused into Prman.

Would be nice to see new features in global illumination, for those of us who wants to introduce houdini in the market as a new "REYES" artist tool. :D

PS: Hey guys!, you are lucky to have siggraph in the U.S. :love:

dantea
09-09-2004, 03:34 AM
There was this:
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2105

MatrixNAN
09-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Hey,

There was also Point Cloud Light Instancing which was cool. I think they handle instances more effectively now or something. Its getting a bit difficult to remember all the details now. They were showing off how they made an entire forest from 12 different trees and then instanced the rest with particle points at each vertice. Then they could just go in and deselect points they did not want the trees to grow from and boom they had a road going through the trees. Of course you can vary the shaders for every tree instance so that each tree looks different. Which really saves on render time. I think there was mention of using GI on the boat sequence but then I think it was scraped and faked because the render times proved to be too long.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.