PDA

View Full Version : Cinema 4d users to XSI Foundation?

flingster
08-12-2004, 10:39 PM
hello,

I'm curious as to how many cinema 4d users have taken this xsi foundation offer up..it looks like a cracking deal and access to MR looks very appealling...i've not used it before and have messed about with experience in the past..a little...was just curious how other c4d users have coped with the transition etc. any info would be very cool.

thanks guys giving it serious thought slightly worried about upgrade policy in the future not sure what policy is for this?

not being familiar with MR it says you don't get the .exe...is there any significant limits to this...i'm used to c4d integrated renderer so my inexperience in this area is really showing..most of my work is stills rather than animation...so an excellent renderer is priority.
:shrug:

Karma Mule
08-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Hi Flingster,

I got C4D Studio earlier this year (April), and am quite happy with it. While I wasn't planning on expanding my toolset, since I'm just a hobbyist, I just couldn't resist the Foundation deal. As someone who is still learning C4D I'm sensitive to how invaluable good resources for learning are, and the clincher was the over 30 hours of training on DVDs that they'll be including with this. (I felt the feature set for Foundation seemed pretty robust for that price-point too...)

So, my decision was in no way based on dissatisfaction with C4D, but just my usual weakness for a new shiny 'toy' to add to the collection! However, having spent the money on this does mean I'll most likely be delaying my upgrade for C4D until early next year, as the XSI purchase ate up my discretionary spending money for a few months.

-Eddie

SpeccySteve
08-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi Flingster,

I used the CinemaCE ( 6.0? ) for a few months before I used XSI.

Mental Ray felt slow initially compared to the Cinema renderer but that's mostly a matter of tweaking the settings, and you'll love the render regions. ( interactive tweakery with fast updates..)

I don't have enough experience of Cinema to compare other areas, I was only using it to set up a scene and grab a quick render of Wings models.

As you've probably spotted with the EXP, XSI is less forgiving of older hardware than Cinema, but for me the workflow is a lot faster for almost everything except materials as long as you use the shortcuts and get the whole "sticky keys / LMR-mouse axis" thing.

Overall, not as cuddly and welcoming as Cinema felt, but I always felt though that anything was possible, I just didn't know how yet.
My opinions are naturally based upon an old version of Cinema though, so keep that in mind.

ptsuk
08-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I whole heartly plan on taking up the XSI offer, unless there is some kind of divine intervention in which maxon offers the upgrade for the studio bundle 8.2 for $300 bucks or less. I'm still a bit miffed that i can't upgrade to 8.5 NOW and get 9 for free, per the advertisment on maxon's main web page. Apparently you have to buy it brand spank'n new!! Not to mention that it may cost additional $$ to upgrade the modules if i want them to work, say whaaaaaat!?

anyhow, the XSI offer is just too good to pass by if the upgrade to cinema is going to cost $600-$900 bucks.

not to mention i won't have to explain to clients what "cinema is", instead i can say I use XSI, no problem ;)

flingster
08-13-2004, 12:12 AM
thanks bud i get where you're coming from with this.
there are quite a few differences between 6 and 8.5 in terms of speed, workflow etc...
the hardware shouldn't be a problem at least i don't think so..got an old 2gig athlon with gforce4600 in it..and a 3gig dual xeon, shed loads of ram and fireglmonster...so dunno is spec can run on either of this but shouldn't be a problem..will check that though.
the workflow i understand is very quick which is a big plus also...i'm kinda curious about the materials and mr parts it feels like going back to the beginning again..was kinda curious how i'd fit in moving over to something like that picking up the differences and getting up to speed fairly quickly...obviously the training helps...dunno need to take a better look at it i think its a big decision to make for me having invested heavily in the past in time and money on c4d...if i'm gonna make the move in the future then in a way there is no time like the present with the current offer...will also miss my Sketch and toon module big time.

DaliFan
08-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Hey old friend :)

You might remember a year or so back that I was testing out Maya. Well after a lot of testing I went with XSI. I do not regret it one bit.

The modelling will blow you away. I have yet seen a program that runs so smooth. This thing is a piece of art. I always will have a soft spot for Cinema 4d. I see with r9 that they finally got n-gons! Nice job. However stepping into XSI is the closest I have come to 3d nirvana.

Max, Maya and XSI all have mental ray. However in XSI it does not feel like a add-on like the other two. It is totally integrated. While it is harder to learn I feel it is not as hard to learn as say in Maya. Quality wise there is no doubt it is a step above Cinema. That is not a insult at all. Cinema has a very good renderer. It is very easy to use. However the length you can take mental ray is so extensive. You mention sketch and toon. I have seen toon shaders on XSI that blow me away.

Take a look at this article

www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=45

Node based shader tree. I think you will have a ball with it. You get that 5 dvd training set. I am pretty sure that would set you right on the way to beautiful stills.

Bottom line is Flingster that IMO XSI is the best "3d artist" product on the market. Obviously there is no better time to jump in.

I am not going to knock Cinema. It is a great product. I got a lot of respect for it. I just think XSI brings the artist tools to another level.

Shame we could not work on that little film we had in mind because I was testing out software. If you do get XSI then hit me up sometime

Take care

flingster
08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
hey guys thanks for all the info...and good to see some familiar faces on here also.:thumbsup:
i think i need to research into it a bit better really...will take a serious look into it.
thanks alot for the info and perspectives on it and good to see you all again.
cheers

blacknoise
08-13-2004, 12:43 PM
dont close this thread! :) j/king
since im a long time cinema4d user, i would like to say something here.
ive been using cinema4d for around... 7 years now? im doing tv spots and on air design for the most of my time. with the connection to after effects there was nothing better for me. till i looked into xsi 3.5 more seriously. that happend... month ago? and im already working on a commercial stuff with xsi4! i tried to jump into maya for about a year but i guess it was just not the app for me.
you could find xsi workflow, gui, quality the best around. ive read the basic and modeling manuals already. now im reading about the shading and basic animation. i tell ya... xsi fundation is the best deal u can get now.

well... since now... u can call me xsier ;)

flingster
08-13-2004, 01:02 PM
i think some other c4d users have made the move recently from what i've read..seems there might be alot of traffic in both directions which is no bad thing i guess...interesting times.

ghopper
08-13-2004, 01:08 PM
dont close this thread! :) j/king
since im a long time cinema4d user, i would like to say something here.
ive been using cinema4d for around... 7 years now? im doing tv spots and on air design for the most of my time. with the connection to after effects there was nothing better for me. till i looked into xsi 3.5 more seriously. ...

Would you say that in general XSI is well suited for motion graphics / broadcast ? And if you can please explain why.

I'm a C4D user as well, but will add Foundation to my toolset. This is a no brainer really.

Thanks

tjnyc
08-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey Flingster,

Get the Experience XSI 4: The Official SOFTIMAGE XSI 4 Guide to Character Creation book. An excellent book that covers production process for making characters in XSI. You can find it in Amazon.com.

Cheers,

tjnyc
08-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Would you say that in general XSI is well suited for motion graphics / broadcast ? And if you can please explain why.

I'm a C4D user as well, but will add Foundation to my toolset. This is a no brainer really.

Thanks
Yes, of course. I used to use XSI until 3.0 and it was mostly for motion graphics work. Though, I think you are better off with C4D w/ Storm Tracer, JENNA and DTOOLs for motion graphics work, due to speed in rendering and a boarder toolset that are more ideal for motion graphics. Also there is the AE connection. If XSI wasn't at $495 I would say it wasn't worth it, but things are different now, so go for it.

Cheers,

SpeccySteve
08-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Fling, XSI will absolutely fly on that spec system, the main reason I even mentioned specs was because Cinema will run fine on any old thing. ( one of the main reasons I was using it, my old comp was feeble.)

Yeah, no hardware worries there, subdivide away.

ghopper
08-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Yes, of course. I used to use XSI until 3.0 and it was mostly for motion graphics work. Though, I think you are better off with C4D w/ Storm Tracer, JENNA and DTOOLs for motion graphics work, due to speed in rendering and a boarder toolset that are more ideal for motion graphics. Also there is the AE connection. If XSI wasn't at $495 I would say it wasn't worth it, but things are different now, so go for it.
Cheers,

Yeah, if XSI doesn't have similar plugins as the ones you mentioned, C4D is probably better suited for motion stuff. I think Cidertank in particular create their plugins with motiongraphics in mind. Their new plugin LOCO looks nice as well. Maybe Cidertank will start porting those plugins to XSI in the future, but I guess they might start with MAYA ports first.

tjnyc
08-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Yeah, if XSI doesn't have similar plugins as the ones you mentioned, C4D is probably better suited for motion stuff. I think Cidertank in particular create their plugins with motiongraphics in mind. Their new plugin LOCO looks nice as well. Maybe Cidertank will start porting those plugins to XSI in the future, but I guess they might start with MAYA ports first.
Yeah, I complete forgot about LOCO. That is going to get alot of Motion Graphics work.

Cheers,

blacknoise
08-13-2004, 02:39 PM

Thanks

yes, i think xsi is very well suited for motion graphics. there is already a plugin that allows ya to export camera/light movements to ae (it's based on the c4d plugin). modeling, animating, shading is just on the higher level in xsi. it's completly different story. modeling is just a dream comparing to c4d. all the shaders you could do with bhodinut can be recreated in render tree in minutes. if fact i was blown away about how easy it was. animating... the timeline... ahhh i love it :). as someone said at cgtalk c4d has some serious lacks here (even if the f-curves are awesome).
there were some things i just could not do in c4d without the xpresso. in xsi or maya you have the proper tools and u dont have to think much about how to achieve some effects. you just do it.
generally... xsi works for me... more than c4d

valentine
08-13-2004, 03:59 PM
hey flingster !

i did it, too :D i just cant wait to hold that box in my hands !
until now, i only had the student version of cinema due to a lack of money, so i always was contingent on the agencys and whether they have a c4d-license i can work with to earn money... and NOW i have my own sexy license of xsi :)

i made some modeling session with the exp and was totally blown away about the modeling in xsi compared to crappy cinemamodeling :) ! cinema 4d is a beautiful app with a beautiful interface and workflow, but i think xsi will be the better app for me :)

what do you think - i purchased xsi on wednesday via the onlinestore - when will it arrive ? (im living germany ;))

damned - cant wait....

best regards
jannis

tjnyc
08-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I wasn't a big fan of C4D modeling, but I have to give it to Maxon with R9, subD modeling is very impressive, with the added benefits of the new HUD, updated UI, it is looking alot better than subD modeling in XSI. Add Mesh Surgery in and no app can touch C4D in subD modeling. Cloth is also way ahead in R9 Mocca than it is in XSI Foundation, it is closer to Syflex in most regards. I can see studios buying the R9 core and Mocca for Cloth than buying Syflex, that is if Cloth animation can be baked out to FBX.

Cheers,

valentine
08-13-2004, 04:25 PM
errm sry, but where do you see subD modeling in cinema ? nowhere, right, because its not included ;) there are only "hypernurbs" and those are nothing else than meshsmooth (dunno how polysmoothing is called in xsi) in xsi !

the new clothilde - yes, thats absolutely awesome ! i played around with it and was very impressed by it :) i think maxon did a great job with new refined modelingtools, too ! feels a bit like meshsurgery, but accuracy in modeling is a foreign word for cinema users...

another thing is the pricing of c4d - the renderer cant compare with mentalray and the material system cant compare, too ! also the nla-based animation system is ahead to cinemas. but even so its more expensive than xsi, so i think i did the right decision.

best regards
jannis

p.s. excuse my poor english ;)

Thalaxis
08-13-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm curious as to how many cinema 4d users have taken this xsi foundation offer up..it looks like a cracking deal and access to MR looks very appealling...i've not used it before and have messed about with experience in the past..a little...was just curious how other c4d users have coped with the transition etc. any info would be very cool.

I'm in the Eddie camp. The price caught my attention, but the training is what has me leaning toward adding it (not jumping ship though). If Maxon hadn't launched Cinema v9 at SIGGRAPH, I'd probably have bought XSI Foundation by now ;)

thanks guys giving it serious thought slightly worried about upgrade policy in the future not sure what policy is for this?

Anybody's guess, AFAIK.

not being familiar with MR it says you don't get the .exe...is there any significant limits to this...i'm used to c4d integrated renderer so my inexperience in this area is really showing..most of my work is stills rather than animation...so an excellent renderer is priority.
:shrug:
It just means that you can't render without running the UI also, just like in Cinema, so no big deal. It's really not an issue unless you're a render wrangler anyway, so for most of the people who jump on this, it's not important.

Thalaxis
08-13-2004, 04:30 PM
errm sry, but where do you see subD modeling in cinema ? nowhere, right, because its not included ;) there are only "hypernurbs" and those are nothing else than meshsmooth (dunno how polysmoothing is called in xsi) in xsi !

HyperNURBS is just Maxon's trade name for their subD implementation. It uses a polymesh as a driver surface to generate a subdivided and therefore smoother mesh. Ergo, subdivision surfaces. That they call them something else doesn't change what they are.

jorgevaldes
08-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm still seriously considering XSI foundation... even after the r9 release and the student licence of the XL bundle being available for $300...the XSI advanced student licence costs the same, so if I'm going to buy a student licence the XSI advanced seems like an awsome oportunity.....

On the other hand... For just a bit more, I can get a full licence of XSI foundation. No limitations, the posibility of using it for paid work.
So on one hand I can learn higher end tools like cloth dynamics or node base compositing... and on the other I can probably earn some dough doing some more "simple" 3d stuff....

So I've been banging my head against a wall tring to make up my mind, I need some advice....

what would you guys do?

valentine
08-13-2004, 06:24 PM
HyperNURBS is just Maxon's trade name for their subD implementation. It uses a polymesh as a driver surface to generate a subdivided and therefore smoother mesh. Ergo, subdivision surfaces. That they call them something else doesn't change what they are.
u can compare hypernurbs with the smoothproxy in maya... and smoothproxy is not subD :)
with subD u have so much more control over the mesh which u havent when using hypernurbs - those are simply smoothed polys (like pressing tab in xsi) !

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 06:33 PM
incorrect. they are subd. hypernurbs utilises the catmull clark algorithm. it has point and edge weighting, it is not hsds (or sometimes called simply sds), which i suspect is what you are thinking of, but which XSI also does not have (closest it has is the ability to use it's construction history on several subd stages, which is kinda like z-brush smoothing).

cinema 4d is a polygon and subd modeler. i should know, i coded Mesh Surgery.

thorn3d
08-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Valentine... no offense meant, but you're completely wrong on this one.

Who wins the "best modeler" contest may be up for debate, but C4D is indeed a sub-D modeler.

thorn

valentine
08-13-2004, 07:08 PM
incorrect. they are subd. hypernurbs utilises the catmull clark algorithm. it has point and edge weighting, it is not hsds (or sometimes called simply sds), which i suspect is what you are thinking of, but which XSI also does not have (closest it has is the ability to use it's construction history on several subd stages, which is kinda like z-brush smoothing).

cinema 4d is a polygon and subd modeler. i should know, i coded Mesh Surgery.
ok - u argued me into this :)

...and a great piece of software u did there ! i tried it at work and that was really the solution for almost all my problems in cinemamodeling ! but theres still one thing you should implement into ms - ad an option to the katana, that makes cuts with a predefined distance to the vertices (alternatively edges) to have more precise control... because so far i only can control the cuts position relatively to the respective distance between the polygons vertices... i hope u understand my poor english ;)

best regards
jannis

valentine
08-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Valentine... no offense meant, but you're completely wrong on this one.

Who wins the "best modeler" contest may be up for debate, but C4D is indeed a sub-D modeler.

thorn
ok ok - you got me - sry for my doggedness ;)

regards
jannis

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 07:13 PM
ok - u argued me into this :)

...and a great piece of software u did there ! i tried it at work and that was really the solution for almost all my problems in cinemamodeling ! but theres still one thing you should implement into ms - ad an option to the katana, that makes cuts with a predefined distance to the vertices (alternatively edges) to have more precise control... because so far i only can control the cuts position relatively to the respective distance between the polygons vertices... i hope u understand my poor english ;)

best regards
jannis
not sure i follow. you can do partial cuts. or do you mean you want a counter for doing x edges rather than % of the loop?

valentine
08-13-2004, 07:36 PM
not sure i follow. you can do partial cuts. or do you mean you want a counter for doing x edges rather than % of the loop? thereabout... a counter that allows me to precise define the distance between one of the two edges of the polygon and the newly created edge :)

heres a sketch:
http://www.janniskloeffel.com/ms_option.jpg

would be great to see this in one of the next releases :)

best regards
jannis

Per-Anders
08-13-2004, 07:56 PM
oh, you're not talking about partial loops, but the offset, sure it's possible. the only thing is working out where 0m is.

flingster
08-13-2004, 10:17 PM
wow plenty of responses on here.
i know really what c4d can do and r9 just looks killer to me...as someone mentioned modelling + MS, ngons and subpolydisp is just funky..the speed, stability and quality is there no doubt...i'm slightly worried about missing my xfrog, ditools,jenna combination..use them alot...

btw mdme_sadie...does this mean you are writing MS for xsi? heh heh.
also how have you found the move...i know you're technically way out there than me..but i'd love to hear of your thoughts/experiences with it if possible...kinda a per take on the whole thing...MR is what really attracts me i think if i put it on my list and the shader setup.

tony: i'll take a look at that book bud..cheers.

thalaxis: yeah i agree with ya bud...the whole maxon situation thing has really disillusioned me in someway...and i don't think feasibly i can retain my investment in both...the thought of having to upgrade both seems a bit mad...maybe keep c4d core for my plugs..then export by objects.

ThE_JacO
08-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Per and a few of us already discussed our views about a C4D/XSI comparison a lot in the following thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=161887

but I wouldn't trust me, sheep or Dave if they paid me to trust us.
Per was spot on tho.

flingster
08-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Per and a few of us already discussed our views about a C4D/XSI comparison a lot in the following thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=161887

but I wouldn't trust me, sheep or Dave if they paid me to trust us.
Per was spot on tho.
thanks bud i'll take a lookie and see...
cheers

Thalaxis
08-13-2004, 11:08 PM
thalaxis: yeah i agree with ya bud...the whole maxon situation thing has really disillusioned me in someway...and i don't think feasibly i can retain my investment in both...the thought of having to upgrade both seems a bit mad...maybe keep c4d core for my plugs..then export by objects.
The only thing that I'm disappointed about in v9 is the fact that they didn't upgrade the shader toolset.

Now that I know how much it's going to cost, I'm definitely planning to get it; I'm quite pleased with it overall. But I'm probably also going to get XSI because of this deal, and hope that Maxon rises to the challenge down the road.

Just watch Maxon introduce a new module for compositing and make the upgrade thing even more complicated next year ;)

JDex
08-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Hey all you C4D/XSI users... I am trying to pull camera animation from a C4D scene and was wondering if anyone has some tips to share for getting accurate results. I've been trying the .fbx format, but am finding that there are some quarks in the plugin. I have had great success with similar tasks using .fbx from LW/Maya/Max to XSI, but I fear the plugin for C4D is sub-par.

Is a dotXSI or other full transfer format available for C4D? If I had LW I would have the guy try a .lwo export, but unfortunately I won't be able to open it... and deep exploration is not an option.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

flingster
08-14-2004, 12:51 AM
what problems with fbx bit in c4d are you having problems with? seems strange i was always lead to believe..but then this is always a bad way to comment on something..but i was always led to believe the bridge was very good between the two...

xml data can be exported from c4d is this would be any help? not that i know much about what to do with it...i would have said use lightwave export...but you got problems with that.
dunno...sorry bud.

Per-Anders
08-14-2004, 02:12 AM
btw mdme_sadie...does this mean you are writing MS for xsi? heh heh.
also how have you found the move...i know you're technically way out there than me..but i'd love to hear of your thoughts/experiences with it if possible...kinda a per take on the whole thing...MR is what really attracts me i think if i put it on my list and the shader setup.
well, i have to admit i don't tend to use XSI much in depth seeing as most of my focus these days is on plugin writing, c4d's SDK is a little gem so i tend to focus there. as for MS for XSI... well, not until a lot of radical changes take place within the XSI SDK, currently it's just not possible.

xsi as an app from a users perspective. i'm afraid all i can say is that it depends user to user. try out the demos/experience versions. if you really like it, then don't let other people sway you from getting it, if you dislike it, then equally don't be a victim of peer group pressure. it's your money spend it on what makes the most sense to you.

right now it seems like it's a great deal, though it is as far as i have seen a non upgradeable verison, and considerably less feature rich than the experience version. however it's still a powerful app, but don't expect more than in the demos.

ghopper
08-14-2004, 02:38 AM
well, i have to admit i don't tend to use XSI much in depth seeing as most of my focus these days is on plugin writing, c4d's SDK is a little gem so i tend to focus there. as for MS for XSI... well, not until a lot of radical changes take place within the XSI SDK, currently it's just not possible.

Could you give some details, what radical changes would that be ? So XSI's SDK is limiting you writing complex plugins, such as MeshSurgery or Storm Tracer ? If so, could you give some examples of the limitations.

Thanks

Thalaxis
08-14-2004, 02:49 AM
right now it seems like it's a great deal, though it is as far as i have seen a non upgradeable verison, and considerably less feature rich than the experience version. however it's still a powerful app, but don't expect more than in the demos.
It is upgradable, according to SoftImage customer service.

ThE_JacO
08-14-2004, 03:04 AM
Could you give some details, what radical changes would that be ? So XSI's SDK is limiting you writing complex plugins, such as MeshSurgery or Storm Tracer ? If so, could you give some examples of the limitations.

Thanks
simply put XSI has very little in regards to handling the gui.

writing something with previews and viewport interaction like MS would need somebody to also write a graphical frontend to it that would be hosted in a CDH.
simply not worth the ridiculous effort.

XSI's SDK is a valid pipeline tool and stuff like the CDH is unprecedented, but it doesn't help much if you are writing userfriendly and funky plugins (altho it's getting better every version).

shaunl
08-14-2004, 11:33 AM
It is upgradable, according to SoftImage customer service.I've just received this email :

Hello Shaun,
We currently do not have any plans to introduce maintenanace/upgrade
paths for future versions of XSI Foundation, however this may change
down the road - we always listen to our customers and tailor our
products to general demand.
I invite you to stay tuned and in the meantime, enjoy XSI Foundation
to its fullest!
Regards,
The Softimage Team

mauves
08-14-2004, 12:08 PM
He flingster,

I've been using C4D for the last year now after the advice of a friend. Started 3D with it. I really enjoyed learning and working with it. I learned the principles of 3D a lot faster then I would have with any of the other packages I think. Mainly because of it's ease of use (allthough that might be debatable, to each it's own flavour), but mostly through it's excellently written manuals. Which i read and reread a couple of times.

After a years use, I come to the conclusion that the most important thing C4D lacks for me is a connection to a photorealistic renderer of the level of MR. C4D's own renderer while very good at photorealistic stills, just doesn't seem to cut it at photorealistic animation. I just I haven't seen any studiolevel photorealistic animation that was directly rendered out of C4D's own renderer.

So now that XSI sells foundation with MR, with 5 supposedly very well produced training DVD's, for about 450 euros. This is really a no brainer for me.
You get access to a studiolevel photorealistic renderer with the info on how to use it.

Even though I think C4D's new R9 features are great. To me they only extent C4D toolset but not the quality of the final rendered image which is of final importance I think.

So yes I'll place my order here at Avid belgium first hour on monday.

cheers

Thalaxis
08-14-2004, 02:00 PM
I've just received this email :
They told me that they plan to update the entire product line, including Foundation, down the road, and implied that upgrading it would cost as much as purchasing it.

They also told me that you could upgrade to Essentials (or Advanced) for the price difference.

francescaluce
08-14-2004, 04:21 PM
c4D to Xsi... I feel myself a little bit out from the current mood :blush: .. I choose c4D as valid companion for some specific tasks (jdex, I use .fbx.. works pretty pretty good)... also until for the moment it costs just $500.. bring it.. nothing to add.. when it's not a money problem.. there're not other problems :D... you've not to abdicate your religion, cultural imprinting, not to say bye bye to your family, not to lose your cheerfulness.. not to betray your old mate or the mother of your kids, and not to get your vote to bush :).. but just to be ready(and proud) to change your mind a bit, to get a more open(aboveboard) point of view about 3D, to see yourself and your work under a different angle, to grow on your personal skills (instead to grant all the responsibilities to your software) and generally to lose some redundant opinions, to get instead some fundamental knoweledges.. ehy!!... how could you resist to get these things for just 500 dollars.. xsi included ?!

ciao
francesca

flingster
08-14-2004, 05:27 PM
c4D to Xsi... I feel myself a little bit out from the current mood :blush: .. I choose c4D as valid companion for some specific tasks (jdex, I use .fbx.. works pretty pretty good)... also until for the moment it costs just $500.. bring it.. nothing to add.. when it's not a money problem.. there're not other problems :D... you've not to abdicate your religion, cultural imprinting, not to say bye bye to your family, not to lose your cheerfulness.. not to betray your old mate or the mother of your kids, and not to get your vote to bush :).. but just to be ready(and proud) to change your mind a bit, to get a more open(aboveboard) point of view about 3D, to see yourself and your work under a different angle, to grow on your personal skills (instead to grant all the responsibilities to your software) and generally to lose some redundant opinions, to get instead some fundamental knoweledges.. ehy!!... how could you resist to get these things for just 500 dollars.. xsi included ?!

ciao
francesca
heh heh maybe you've seen some of my recent posts on the c4d forum...unhappy bunny.
i agree with you totally... its not a life threatening decision, its not something i should guilty or sad about, its not something i should feel i have to do, its something i should do if it suits me and my work...500 dollars financially is not a major issue...the commitment in time and learning is far more i guess and a decision i have to be happy with really.
I'm just trying to get a feel for what can be done, and how things will pan out if i do move over...expanding ones horizon is a good thing, but it has to feel comfortable for my mind..heh heh...cheers.

fxgogo
08-23-2004, 09:39 AM
What I would like to know is the plugin/scripting activily of XSI. C4D has always had a very active plugin/scripting community, often sharing their efforts for little or no cost. My perception of XSI is that is would be less so mainly due to the fact that it is used mainly in big studios where there is copyright/nda agreements or a lack of time to contribute. I think the ne price point will change this, but can you XSI'ers infomr me better?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.